ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Chit-Chat > ADD Tech Corner
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

ADD Tech Corner Discuss issues with software, hardware, viruses, security and other technology issues here.

Old 01-30-12, 07:51 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,476 Times in 780 Posts
tipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant future
Re: What programming languages do you u know

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipoo View Post
I'm a second year CS student, I know how to program in Java and C++.
And now Visual Basic (which we oddly learned AFTER the grown up languages?), HTML and CSS, dabbling in HTML5, Flash, and Silverlight programming.
Old 01-30-12, 10:47 PM
ADDvanced Member

neewsmonth is on a distinguished road

You guys name difficult languages and it makes me shrink into the corner cause I can't manage any one of them well. So, let's be honest and say how good you really are in each of those you wrote ?

- Can you work efficiently in all of them right now without refreshing your memory ?
- Can you mix the code of many langs in one app ?
- Can you develop real applications or only student examples ?
- Are you up to date with development libs or you only know the syntax ?
- Are you productive or just know how to tell a loop in one language from another ?
- Can you exmplain the concepts behind those languages ?
- Are you good at regular expressions in each ?

That's nothin personal. I am not trying to make anyone upset about their skills.
I've just always wondered, looking at job applications, how much of it is really true, and what actually is to be needed/learned. And I am sure asking those questions anywhere but here would flame a war and shed a bad light on me
Old 09-06-12, 09:42 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,105 Times in 796 Posts
Electra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of light

I now try to learn XHTML.
Old 11-06-17, 06:49 PM
ADDvanced Member

OyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud of

Ooh, a programming thread! Fun!!

I have experience with quite a few languages because it's fun to try new ones, but I'm by no means an expert at any of them! I'm just a lowly hobby programmer.

The ones listed below I feel I know well enough to satisfy neewsmonth's criteria. Well, except "regular expressions" are not part of all the languages' standard libraries. I also don't mix most of the languages (with the obvious exception of web development languages and SQL) because mixing languages doesn't really make any sense. On the very rare occasion where I can outperform GCC's performance tricks and actually need the speed I do write inline asm, but that's about it.

The ones which I guess count for something:
In order of how much I enjoy using them.
  • C
  • C#
  • Python
  • x86 assembly (but only Linux syscalls. Also call me blasphemous if you want, but I use Intel syntax under Linux. )
  • PHP

Ones which don't count:
In order of usefulness to me.
  • Bash shell script
  • JavaScript (I would argue that JS actually counts, especially now that Node.js is a thing, but previous posters put it in the "doesn't count" category so here it is.)
  • SQL
  • HTML
  • CSS
  • Lua
  • VB

Unlike a lot of posters here I feel like OOP is actually beneficial for someone with ADD. Ironically enough C is my favorite language and lacks that, but I take full advantage of it whenever I use C#, PHP and Python. The reason I think it suits the ADD mind so well is that it breaks a larger concept down into parts and you get to piece them together like a fun sort of jigsaw puzzle. You don't need to have everything figured out from the start either, you can just add things as needed. I also find it a lot more manageable and less distracting when working with larger codebases.

Oh, and I guess I know C++ well enough to satisfy neewsmonth's criteria but I write it following C++03 standards, which are old enough that it might as well be a completely different language from C++17. I might try to catch up again when C++20 comes out with its planned networking extensions though!
The Following User Says Thank You to OyVeyKitty For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-15-17)