ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-08, 02:16 AM

mr.add will become famous soon enough
CBT in conjuntion with meds

when first met my doctor he sugguested that i should use CBT sessions in after 4 meetings with him.

i refused becouse i didn't understand the timing, i first wanted to make sure the meds are working (still not getting that feeling everyone is talking about), and i tried and trying ritaling concerta.
and it didnt' make sense to start after 4 sessions, i mean if the hardware is stilll screwed up ,why bother with the software, after all adhd neurological based, and if taking CBT should help without taking the meds then it's purely psychological.
Old 04-24-08, 10:55 AM
Contributor

texasmissb is just really nicetexasmissb is just really nicetexasmissb is just really nicetexasmissb is just really nice
Re: CBT in conjuntion with meds

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.add View Post
when first met my doctor he sugguested that i should use CBT sessions in after 4 meetings with him.

i refused becouse i didn't understand the timing, i first wanted to make sure the meds are working (still not getting that feeling everyone is talking about), and i tried and trying ritaling concerta.
and it didnt' make sense to start after 4 sessions, i mean if the hardware is stilll screwed up ,why bother with the software, after all adhd neurological based, and if taking CBT should help without taking the meds then it's purely psychological.
Good point. Meds dont completely take care of it though from the post I have read. It is still up to us to supplement with other techniques. I think that CBT therapy is a good compliment because a lot of our problems stem from the problems we have because of ADD. I know that my negative thinking is a habit too. Now when I just sink in depression and cant really seem to control the obsessive negativity I believe for me that drug therapy is the only thing that will work, except for maybe alternative. My situation I fell had got to the more emergency stage so I needed something that would pull my head above water. I was going with my boyfriend to couple counseling last year, and the Pdoc was a heavy advocate of CBT so I learned a lot from him. It was still not enough to keep me from this meltdown, I really did try. With the Vyvance (I just started) its helping a lot, but like you I'm still not getting what some posters have posted about. Its too soon to tell yet and I'm having issues with wellbutrin side effects so that could be getting in the way. I intend to start therapy asap, I am waiting too so that I can get straightened out on my meds but its a cost thing. If I had more $$$ I would be doing both right now.
Old 04-24-08, 03:07 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,066 Times in 2,512 Posts
kilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CBT in conjuntion with meds

The older you are the more your brain contans "learned" responses. If you are older and are recently diagnosed with ADD, which means you are obviously having some issues in your life alot of the problems you encounter will be caused both by your underlying neurochemisrty and by your condtioned responses.

Drugs go some way to putting the neurochemicals back in line....but they do nothing to unlearn all the s**t that's lodged in your brain as you lived with the effects of ADD.

It's my personal opinion that, by the time you get to my age (mid 40's), most of the issues are not solvable by taking a pill......my frustrations and anxieties are due to decades of screw ups and missed targets.... not the ADD neurochemical levels.

So ...in my opinion your Dr is right...though exactly when one starts therapy is flexible. Again, in my opinion, handling the implications of an ADD diagnosis later life are made easier by talking them over with a objective experienced professional.

kilt
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kilted_scotsman For This Useful Post:
Sandy4957 (04-24-08), texasmissb (04-24-08)
Sponsored Links