ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-09, 02:44 PM
Contributor

KFC in CA has a spectacular aura aboutKFC in CA has a spectacular aura about
Thinking about Nothing and Seriously Thinking

I'm wondering if others do either of these.

Sometimes I feel like I have a very full but empty head. I don't have any thoughts... but it's more like I had so many thoughts they all cancelled each other out, lol. I don't know how to describe it better, but if you were to ask me then what I was thinking about, the answer would literally be "nothing."

and

When I'm thinking about something, deep in thought, kinda a cross between hyperfocus and forcing myself to focus, people always say I look so serious or even mad. I don't feel serious or at all mad. I'm just forcing myself to concentrate. It takes an effort, ya know.

Anyone else?
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to KFC in CA For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (03-07-09), Aquablue (03-08-09), chellechelle (03-07-09), cwatca (03-08-09), illusive (03-07-09), kwalk (03-07-09), NekoGirl (03-08-09), novagal (03-08-09), prairiedawg (03-08-09), qhcowgirl (03-08-09), RedHairedWitch (03-07-09), somuchbetter (03-08-09), stef (03-07-09), yeahyeahyeah (03-12-09)
Old 03-07-09, 07:13 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 13,645 Times in 5,041 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thinking about Nothing and Seriously Thinking

Ah- ADHD face! I get it too. People don't seem to connect well with the idea that I am so busy concentrating that my face is left to arrange itself into whatever expression it likes.

I can relate with what you are saying. All the noise in my brain makes it impossible to follow a single thought. And realistically, answering "nothing" the the question "What are you thinking?" is actually a coping strategy. It is generally safer than picking one of those whizzing thoughts at random and responding.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ADHDTigger For This Useful Post:
Aquablue (03-08-09), KFC in CA (03-08-09), LoudSigh (03-08-09), pADDyjay (03-08-09)
Old 03-07-09, 07:42 PM
Contributor

Sometimes the thoughts are like a blur, not easy to hold. Other times it's kind of like after trying to decide what to do, what to clean, what to work on... and coming up with soooo many options, decisions, choices that paralysis sets in and no action is taken. Too much, overload, circuit fried, heh, frozen brain!
The Following User Says Thank You to KFC in CA For This Useful Post:
NekoGirl (03-08-09)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-09, 08:57 PM

illusive is on a distinguished road

Yep, its like the thoughts are rushing by so fast that I can't catch them long enough for them to develop into anything substantial. Its chaotic. Sometimes in social situations I get anxiety about not being able to stop this...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to illusive For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (03-12-09), KFC in CA (03-08-09)
Old 03-07-09, 09:03 PM

SpaceOddity is on a distinguished road

Auuugghhh YES...I HATE that feeling, & live with it daily (undiagnosed, likely Inattentive-type); sometimes I've caught myself literally trying to do two separate things, simultaneously, with each of my hands (this usually doesn't work out too well!)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpaceOddity For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-09, 10:25 PM

kwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to all

it's like writers block. I have actual writers block most of the time with homework and stupid essays. I've been told I look mad doing homework. sometimes I really am but I don't want to be like, yea Im ****ed off having to do hw and messing up, because no one wants to hear you think it is justified to be mad about it. and sometimes people can tell when I'm sad and it's sad because I forget that I'm sad thinking about something, usually about the people around me i'm not connecting to.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kwalk For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-09, 04:50 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

qhcowgirl is a glorious beacon of lightqhcowgirl is a glorious beacon of lightqhcowgirl is a glorious beacon of lightqhcowgirl is a glorious beacon of lightqhcowgirl is a glorious beacon of light

Ah I so relate with every post in this thread.

Cracked me up about "nothing" being a safer answer than one of the thoughts buzzing across the screen.

When I actually notice what I'm thinking, it can be pretty scary.

Green balloons, puzzles, funny about that, stupid, oh, never mind, Chris is sweet (my horse), Miss my dog and bro... candles, flame, diesel trucks.
School is a society sanctioned torture system designed to rob people of their sanity and to give them a falsely inflated ego upon completion where one gets a piece of paper saying "I sat on my rear in crowded classrooms for x years and only spit up what they told me to". --me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qhcowgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-09, 06:42 AM

Thanked 27,607 Times in 13,360 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHDTigger View Post
Ah- ADHD face! I get it too. People don't seem to connect well with the idea that I am so busy concentrating that my face is left to arrange itself into whatever expression it likes.
I used to work in a kiosk in a mall (over 20 years ago yikes) and people would tell me to "smile, you look so serious". grrrrr.
At work if I get up to make copies or get supplies or something I sometimes get some STUPID snarky remark from the more NT assistants: oh my well aren't you busy today! my mind is always busy so deal with it. and most of all I have these papers in my hand - now, what did i get up to do...?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-09, 01:09 PM

Thanked 1,016 Times in 671 Posts
pADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to all

Quote:

I can relate with what you are saying. All the noise in my brain makes it impossible to follow a single thought. And realistically, answering "nothing" the the question "What are you thinking?" is actually a coping strategy. It is generally safer than picking one of those whizzing thoughts at random and responding.
right on! sounds just like me sometimes all I can think about is am I smiling...
Old 03-08-09, 01:18 PM
ADDvanced Member

Aquablue has a spectacular aura aboutAquablue has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Re: Thinking about Nothing and Seriously Thinking

KFC,

Yes, both.

#1 :When I was dxed. and started on ritalin nearly 11 yrs. back, I couldn't believe how great it felt to be relieved of the "very full but empty head". Being that I had no basis for comparison, I just assumed it was a plight I'd live with, forever. You know the lottery tank they show on tv where 9 numbered balls are blowing around so quickly you can't identify any one number? My ideas were like those balls prior to finding the right medication. When medication is working well for me, it's one ball/idea at a time. Quite a luxury!

#2: My facial expressions have also been misunderstood by family and friends. Before my husband and I married and years later, when my daughter was a teen .......when one would enter a room where I was sitting and reading or watching telly, I'd often be accused of either ignoring him/her or being angry at him/her. Neither were true, I wasn't thinking about them at all....... just trying to take in and integrate whatever I was reading or watching.

Here's an expression I dislike hearing from non-ADD/ADHD folks:
"A penny for your thoughts."
I'm quick to flipswitch the conversation, as telling the truth ("I'm not having thoughts, I'm merely existing") might lead to tiresome inquiry and the feeling of being misunderstood.

Thanks much for concretizing something important that (until now) seemed intangible.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aquablue For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (03-12-09), KFC in CA (03-08-09), stef (03-08-09)
Old 03-08-09, 02:36 PM
Forum ADDvocate

cwatca will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFC in CA View Post
I'm wondering if others do either of these.

Sometimes I feel like I have a very full but empty head. I don't have any thoughts... but it's more like I had so many thoughts they all cancelled each other out, lol. I don't know how to describe it better, but if you were to ask me then what I was thinking about, the answer would literally be "nothing."
I took a vacay from my meds. up until the beginning of last month...and when I was taking a vacay from them I had so many thoughts on my mind...and when I started taking them again, a few days later those thoughts have disappeared and it feels like I have nothing on my mind when I'm sure that I really do...it sorta feels as if I'm in denial that I have any problems or something
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cwatca For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-09, 02:57 PM

LoudSigh will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Wow, yeah! So once again I'm not the only one?! Life sometimes feels like a long game of golf: watch your stance, your grip and swing, follow the ball, etc, etc... My mind gets so busy that I seem to have no cycles left to pay attention to my face and body. And how often do you think people may avoid us or make assumptions about who we are because of our expression?!
ADHDTigger (03-12-09), KFC in CA (03-08-09), novagal (03-08-09)
Old 03-08-09, 03:02 PM
Forum Guru

reesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquablue View Post
Here's an expression I dislike hearing from non-ADD/ADHD folks:
"A penny for your thoughts."
I'm quick to flipswitch the conversation, as telling the truth ("I'm not having thoughts, I'm merely existing") might lead to tiresome inquiry and the feeling of being misunderstood.

Thanks much for concretizing something important that (until now) seemed intangible.
I always reply "My thoughts are worth five dollars."

At least then they start laughing, and it keeps them out of my (empty) head.
where do I start, where do I begin?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to reesah For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (03-12-09), Aquablue (03-09-09), KFC in CA (03-08-09), stef (03-08-09)
Old 03-08-09, 04:32 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by reesah View Post
I always reply "My thoughts are worth five dollars."

At least then they start laughing, and it keeps them out of my (empty) head.

I'm gonna use that one!
The Following User Says Thank You to KFC in CA For This Useful Post:
reesah (03-13-09)
Old 03-12-09, 09:17 PM

yeahyeahyeah will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFC in CA View Post
I don't have any thoughts... but it's more like I had so many thoughts they all cancelled each other out
EXACTLY. If there were a word for how much this is me it would go here -----> "___________" followed by multiple exclamation points.

I love when people say what I'm thinking (or not thinking )