ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-16, 06:26 PM

sharansingh is on a distinguished road
Re: Do you tell people you have ADD?

Honest with the close one is OK, have some trust don't tell it publicly. Sometimes it needs to be confidential about yourself. It depends up to you that how you behave with other ones.
Old 07-08-16, 08:16 PM
Contributor

julialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud of

i'm wildly unapologetic for everything that i am (i can thank the Millennial Feminist Agenda for giving me the courage), so i've been open on facebook about a lot of mental health stuff (and not just the illnesses i experience). i even made a post on fb about my discovery that i likely have ADHD because i was so excited and couldn't contain it. but i wouldn't tell someone upon meeting them, especially if it's someone that i can tell i won't like (a coworker, or a friend of a friend, for example). but if i express a symptom, and i trust my environment, it's likely that i'll tell whoever needs to know, like a supervisor or a professor.

-neutral milk hotel
The Following User Says Thank You to julialouise For This Useful Post:
Hermus (10-08-16)
Old 07-24-16, 06:17 PM

Mikeed is on a distinguished road

From my experience it's better to keep that information to yourself people tend to judge,and you can't expect them to understand your disability as well as you may.I told my employer and regretted it.I realized it was a bad decision when I found myself trying to convince him that it doesn't effect my work performance and with my meds I'm so much better.if your not trying to use adhd as a excuse for poor performance,then I would just tell your partner.
Why label yourself?people judge.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikeed For This Useful Post:
DrZoidberg (07-25-16)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-16, 08:14 PM

cheddarV is on a distinguished road

I never voluntarily tell anyone, but those around the office that observe my quirky antics and my sense of all-over-the-*******-place tend to call me out, usually those who are familiar with it and typically in private. It's nice to have a sense of humor that many people seem to respond to. I have been around people with ADHD who don't have that.

And by the way, ADHD isn't a disability. Anxiety isn't a disability. Depression isn't a disability. Don't let anyone lead you to believe that. I'm not saying ADHD, anxiety, and depression are the same, but that they are not disabilities. I have come across numerous resources on how the ADHD genetic trait has been beneficial to the human race over the course of our history. We are the doers, the go-getters. The majority of us have our brains programmed suitable for life before all the "comforts" of modern civilization. We live in a life of offices, classrooms, and rush-hour traffic. We are drawn to things that captivate our attention, not command it.

Last edited by namazu; 07-25-16 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: Removed potentially offensive comment to avoid derailing thread.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheddarV For This Useful Post:
julialouise (08-04-16), sampeckinpah (10-08-16)
Old 07-26-16, 01:53 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,153 Times in 15,377 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheddarV View Post

And by the way, ADHD isn't a disability. Anxiety isn't a disability. Depression isn't a disability. Don't let anyone lead you to believe that. I'm not saying ADHD, anxiety, and depression are the same, but that they are not disabilities. I have come across numerous resources on how the ADHD genetic trait has been beneficial to the human race over the course of our history. We are the doers, the go-getters. The majority of us have our brains programmed suitable for life before all the "comforts" of modern civilization. We live in a life of offices, classrooms, and rush-hour traffic. We are drawn to things that captivate our attention, not command it.
Maybe those things are not disabilities for you but they are for me.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
julialouise (08-04-16)
Old 07-31-16, 11:50 PM
Jr Member

Ktown85 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
The thing is, if I tell people I have ADD it's like showing off; like getting a trophy out and going "ooh by the way, look what I've got!" It's my super power and I dont want to be all big headed telling everyone 'bout it!
I realize this is super old, but I am new here and I was skimming along this thread and this part right here is 100% accurate and amazing, everyone should see this if they haven't. So perfectly worded.

My response to thus question is pretty much like everyone, I have told who matters and who I feel like telling if it comes up. I am newly diagnosed, and some if my close friends/fam knew I was going in for an evaluation.
Old 08-16-16, 02:19 PM

Amelich is on a distinguished road

Since I teach college I feel it is important to tell students I have ADD so that if they wish they will come to me and we can discuss if not taking medication or having trouble getting an assessment or getting medication is an issue.

Also, I had terrible results trying to explain what this is to my faculty colleagues and what its significance is (since I started teaching before I was diagnosed as an adult with pretty severe ADD). No one really understands anything beyond the stereotype of having an attention problem. But I persevere because I think its important and its a diversity issue.

Thanks for asking.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amelich For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (10-09-16), spamspambacon (08-16-16)
Old 08-24-16, 10:13 PM

mymedsyourmeds is on a distinguished road

no need telling everyone, that won't help in anyway
Old 10-08-16, 07:17 AM

sampeckinpah is on a distinguished road

Only my family knows and I told a couple of my close friends about my adhd. From what I've experienced so far, a lot of people don't understand ADHD and its kind of frustrating for me. Like you tell them yeah I have ADHD, then they ll be like oh ya me too I cant pay attention ever or you dont need to take meds nobody can pay attention or ADHD isnt a real problem haha Meds have helped me drastically with adhd but my partner doesnt notice it or neither do i. I just took a test before and after meds and it showed it helped. As for the employer, I wouldnt tell them I have ADHD. I just tell them I have difficulty in some areas, for example: I need more time so I dont feel rushed or I might need some extra training but I am willing to learn. That might not work for all employers but its a thought, I have been having troubles finding a job too though Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to sampeckinpah For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (10-09-16)
Old 10-09-16, 04:34 PM
Contributor

20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all
Never Mind "Need to Know"...Be Selfishly Strategic!

I salute the exceptions here, who are willing to withstand the ignorant and petty judgements and comments from others in order to put themselves forward as poster girls and boys for ADHD and for the greater good. I hope you are able to fulfill this mission at minimal long-term cost to yourselves.

But to others I would really recommend a very closed-mouth stance: tell no one unless you have good reason to expect doing so will benefit you (including your long-term relationships) in the long run, and will not be used against you...ever. This is a tall order, and for good reason.

In my view, many people share far too much personal information for their own good. Sometimes, they may just want the short-term benefit of having sympathy or an excuse. Some put a general value on "openness" and "sharing" without calculating its potential costs. Many may not realize that the people with whom they share information are, or may become, their competitors or judges at some point in the future, and they are providing ammunition that will be almost certainly be used against them, sooner or later.

Employers are a special case, especially because the stakes are so high, but also because of laws against discrimination on the basis of disability. Once you claim a disability, you become both an opportunity to a potential employer and a threat to your current employer. Be especially calculating (use a pros&cons sheet and let it "cook" over a period of time) in exactly what, when, and how you share information on your condition with a current employer. If you decide you must share something, consider sharing only one or 2 specific impairments and avoiding the ADHD label.

(Besides, if you are working to improve your functioning, as you should be, you don't need to be weighed down in the future by your premature and overly broad disclosures in the past.)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 20thcenturyfox For This Useful Post:
Pilgrim (10-27-16), sampeckinpah (10-10-16)
Old 10-15-16, 05:06 PM

ivry321 will become famous soon enough

I really love this Forum. I remember when I got sober many moons ago ,I was working as a psyc tech in a locked facility.

The funny thing is I never understood why these people were locked up,because I could relate to most. When I stopped the drugs and drinking I told people " I'm sober now and Go to AA" They said It's about time?

I was just looking for someone to tell me I was ok and nobody did. I tell some workers if I need to I have ADD because of meds and scheduling for me however I try not to say much and see if they notice.

ADD is a good excuse not to follow through and act all dumb, it's real, and irritating to live with. It is what it is, However, there are days when I just don't want to be like that, and lots of effort is needed I think I do ok, I dunno?
Old 10-18-16, 06:28 PM

ADDon1 is on a distinguished road

I don't tell people if I don't have to. But I hate it. Psychiatric disability awareness needs to grow.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ADDon1 For This Useful Post:
Pilgrim (10-27-16), Wuvmy3kitties (01-10-17)
Old 10-25-16, 09:22 PM
ADDvanced Member

Jeftheginger is a jewel in the roughJeftheginger is a jewel in the roughJeftheginger is a jewel in the rough
Red face Re: Do you tell people you have ADD?

I do not tell many people about my add because if they have ever meet me they could easily notice.
Old 10-27-16, 04:58 PM
Jr Member

bubbles24 is on a distinguished road

I have only told a few close friends (diagnosed 4 months ago) and my sister. Both parents don't know. I don't really tell many people because I used to be one of the skeptics so I know they're out there. The people I do tell though are all like "I know" and it was blatantly obvious something was different lol just not obvious to me apparently.
Old 10-27-16, 09:27 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,863 Times in 1,182 Posts
Pilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud of

Always remember, I think, the person who you disclose the information to will make a judgement, they will also make a judgement regarding taking medication, always. By coming into this forum I've learnt a few people who know. ADD is an all pervading condition that can be managed. Tell people who you think deserve to know how you think, obviously employment there are other factors. By making judgements people who you do know can make value judgements on what type of person you are, and if they make the wrong judgement, and they will unless an expert, this will damage you. That's my experience.