ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Medications for Co-Existing Conditions > Anti-Depressants
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-10, 03:17 PM
ADDvanced Member

Henri J has a spectacular aura aboutHenri J has a spectacular aura about
Celexa side effect questions

Hey there,
I am and adult ADHDer and have been taking 30mg of Adderall XR for several months. It works very well. I have recently started (about a week) taking 10mg of Celexa in the morning with my Adderall for depression.

Just in the past few days I have started feeling incredibly tense. The worst of it is in my shoulders and neck. It is very painful and uncomfortable. I am wondering if this is the Celexa? Will it pass?

I have been very stressed this past week. I am unemployed, having a hard time with my partner and having difficulty paying my bills. So, the tension could be from that as well.

I was just wondering what side effects folks have experienced with Celexa and if they subside over time.

Also, the pharmacist suggested I take the Celexa in the morning. Anyone have a differing opinin? Why?

Thanks,
Henri
Abi (08-11-10)
Old 03-15-10, 09:50 AM

mcalliw is on a distinguished road
Re: Celexa side effect questions

Celexa is Citalopram right?

I'm not on any other meds but about a year ago I was prescribed Citalopram for depression and anxiety and it's true that for a week or two when weaning on to or off it, you will turn into an anxiety psychopath.

My experience after the side effects wore off was that it didn't help with either depression or anxiety and it reduced my libido to nothing. I was only on it for about a month.

But yeah, these are normal side effects and they do wear off.
Old 05-09-10, 12:38 PM
ADDvanced Member

Dannywallnuts will become famous soon enough

I have been on 40 mg. of generic Celexa for a couple of years and I have noticed no side effects. I am also on Adderral IR 10mg. 3x a day. I would think that the stress is causing the tenseness.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-10, 11:04 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

do you guys think that the celexa , lexapro helps your adderall work better. In theory if you have more positive of an outlook the medication will help your thought process become much more effective... I just started adderall today from ritalin and it's alot smoother in effect. coming from ritalin which gives much narrower focus it's easy to get stuck on one thought or a negative feedback loop but adderall on the first day I notice that I'm a bit more spacey and have more thoughts but am more readily able to pick a thought and execute it rather than having one thought dominate my day which is not productive. I figure once I adjust I will have pretty good control
Old 05-27-10, 11:48 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

OnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to behold

Celexa works well for me, I haven't noticed any side effects other than a slightly lowered libido.
Old 05-28-10, 11:21 PM

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

Did u have side effects at first
Old 06-15-10, 12:30 PM
ADDvanced Member

Henri J has a spectacular aura aboutHenri J has a spectacular aura about

Hello, everyone,
I have been absent for some time. Taking classes and moving between two places during the week. It has been stressful. Here's my update.

Started taking Celexa in January. Doc started me at 20mg. I couldn't sleep and had terrible sweats. I went down to 10mg and that was better. In March I started seeing a psychiatrist who helped me get my Adderall dosage correct for the entire day.

Then we started working on anxiety. He said that Celexa could be used to alleviate my anxiety at higher doses. I moved up to 30mg for a month or so then on to 30mg with a goal of 40mg. After about three weeks at 30mg I became incredible depressed. I cried at the drop of a hat for no reason, couldn't control my temper and couldn't sleep. I couldn't get a hold of my psych, as he was on vacation, so I started to titrate off of the Celexa (down 10mg every four days). When I saw him next he wasn't happy with me for going off, but I figured if he really wanted me not to do it he would have called.

Since the Celexa melt down he thinks I need to be on a mood stabilizer and suggested Lamictil. He said I may be bipolar, but I don't think so and no one else who is close to me thinks so either. I think it was the Celexa at the higher dose. Either way, I am not taking Lamictil unless I absolutely need to. I am back on the Celexa at 10mg and will move up to 20mg and stay there. If it happens again then we'll know it was the Celexa. I hate being a guinea pig.

I have changed one thing though. I take the Celexa in the afternoon with my afternoon Adderall. I don't get the tachycardia as much, which is nice. I generally feel better and more stable. My brother died two weeks ago, I split with my partner the next day and had finals all the following week. I still feel pretty solid overall.

I've felt better and I've felt much worse,

Henri
Old 08-11-10, 07:28 AM

dexter07 is on a distinguished road

Celexa has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials.
In these studies, the side effects that occurred in a group of people taking the drug were documented and then compared to the side effects that occurred in another group of people taking a placebo (a "sugar pill" that does not contain any active ingredients). As a result, it was possible to see what side effects occurred, how often they appeared, and how they compared to the group not taking the medicine.

In these studies, the most common Celexa side effects included:

* Nausea -- in up to 21 percent of people
* Dry mouth -- up to 20 percent (see Celexa and Dry Mouth)
* Drowsiness -- up to 18 percent
* Insomnia -- up to 15 percent (see Celexa and Insomnia)
* Increased sweating -- up to 11 percent
* Shakiness (tremor) -- up to 8 percent
* Diarrhea -- up to 8 percent
* Ejaculation problems -- up to 6 percent (see Celexa Sexual Side Effects).

Other common side effects (occurring in 2 percent to 5 percent of people) included:

* Upper respiratory tract infections (similar to the common cold)
* Runny or irritated nose or sinus infections
* Fatigue
* Indigestion or heartburn
* Vomiting
* Anxiety or agitation
* Loss of appetite (see Celexa and Weight Loss)
* Erectile dysfunction (ER or impotence) (see Celexa Sexual Side Effects)
* Painful menstrual cramps
* Abdominal pain (stomach pain)
* Fever
* Muscle pain or joint pain
* Decreased sex drive (see Celexa Sexual Side Effects)
* Yawning.
The Following User Says Thank You to dexter07 For This Useful Post:
Abi (08-11-10)
Old 09-12-10, 10:44 PM

Geez, i have been doing this ssri stuff for a month for gad, I have major sinus issues where I live, will ssri's make it worse? I think celexa or on it I felt happier vs cymbalta