ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 04-14-11, 10:45 PM
ADDvanced Member

Twinkies!! is on a distinguished road
Re: Pulling All-Nighters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
The one time I pulled an allnighter I failed the test miserably. Now writing a paper is a whole different ball game, for me at least. I once had a shrink tell me that staying up all night to study is the worst thing you can do for yourself.
I've read that it is true that pulling an all-nighter right before an exam is bad. Has something to do with how sleep actually helps you to retain the memory of the stuff you just crammed. It would be better to cram but then still manage to get at least five or six hours of sleep before taking the exam.

Now, having said that, the story is completely different when you have a paper to write like I do... Have a research paper due by midnight tomorrow night and I haven't written a single word. Guess I'm going to have a LONG night ahead of me...
Old 04-21-11, 10:28 PM
ADDvanced Member

ILADHD will become famous soon enough

I don't doubt at all it's better to not cram, but I sit at school 12 hours a day and don't read squat then the night before the test I have 200 pages to read.

I've tried and tried and tried but never ever learn.
I reached the wrong ends, by the wrong means

https://youtu.be/XGRCvIhqWpg
Old 04-22-11, 12:32 AM

Gunner will become famous soon enough

It is the one day rule. No matter how much time is given on an assignment or paper people will still try and do it the night before. So really you always only have 1 day to do a paper no matter the length or subject. Unless I did not take my meds till the evening I would find it hard to do an all nighter. I don't believe in all nighters anyways 2am is usually the cut off for me.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-11, 02:07 PM
Forum Guru

Grasshoppaa is just really niceGrasshoppaa is just really niceGrasshoppaa is just really niceGrasshoppaa is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkies!! View Post
I've read that it is true that pulling an all-nighter right before an exam is bad. Has something to do with how sleep actually helps you to retain the memory of the stuff you just crammed. It would be better to cram but then still manage to get at least five or six hours of sleep before taking the exam.

Now, having said that, the story is completely different when you have a paper to write like I do... Have a research paper due by midnight tomorrow night and I haven't written a single word. Guess I'm going to have a LONG night ahead of me...
Yea, supposedly this is correct as far as pulling your standard variety all-nighters is concerned, but I happen to have a little assistance that comes in capsule form.

That brings up an interesting question: Would you learn/remember more by staying up all night on medication or by getting a good night's sleep and not taking any medication? I don't think any sleep deprivation studies have ever included the effects of amphetamines on learning/memory. What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILADHD View Post
I don't doubt at all it's better to not cram, but I sit at school 12 hours a day and don't read squat then the night before the test I have 200 pages to read.

I've tried and tried and tried but never ever learn.
Ha, at least you attempt to be productive. I don't even take out my textbook or look at my assignments until the day before they're due. I've embraced my inner procrastinator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
It is the one day rule. No matter how much time is given on an assignment or paper people will still try and do it the night before. So really you always only have 1 day to do a paper no matter the length or subject. Unless I did not take my meds till the evening I would find it hard to do an all nighter. I don't believe in all nighters anyways 2am is usually the cut off for me.
The 1 day rule definitely applies to me too, but I don't ever have to write papers. I usually just have to do case studies or make some complicated excel spreadsheet or something.

I love pulling all-nighters, but I don't recommend starting because it's a bad habit to get into. I get so much stuff done when I pull an all-nighter, it makes me feel so productive.

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions about the fun on this forum, please send a message to Metzfanaz in the complaint department.
Old 04-25-11, 11:22 PM

Gloralera is on a distinguished road

At the moment I'm pulling all nighter not because I have exam tomorrow(it's actually day after tomorrow) but because I'm so freaking worried about my studies and future...
Bad grade here, missed class there, forget to do homework or group work and my gpa plummeted and it's got worse when trying to study. I'll probably sleep later today during the day and study night before exam and do it badly but what can you do, I try and try... And if I was to get some meds while facing with finals week or something like that I bet it would help, only if you could get them in my country and doctors knew what it was,
Old 04-26-11, 01:00 AM
Forum Guru

Grasshoppaa is just really niceGrasshoppaa is just really niceGrasshoppaa is just really niceGrasshoppaa is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloralera View Post
At the moment I'm pulling all nighter not because I have exam tomorrow(it's actually day after tomorrow) but because I'm so freaking worried about my studies and future...
Bad grade here, missed class there, forget to do homework or group work and my gpa plummeted and it's got worse when trying to study. I'll probably sleep later today during the day and study night before exam and do it badly but what can you do, I try and try... And if I was to get some meds while facing with finals week or something like that I bet it would help, only if you could get them in my country and doctors knew what it was,
Wow you're pulling an all-nighter without the help of meds and for no apparent reason. That's a pretty impressive amount of slacking you got going on. The purpose of pulling an all-nighter is SUPPOSED to be to study or do schoolwork and therefore boost your grade. Try doing some of that while you're awake.

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions about the fun on this forum, please send a message to Metzfanaz in the complaint department.
Old 04-26-11, 01:34 AM

Wasn't planned, went to bed and just thought of what's going on currently with uni and I couldn't sleep anymore.
Plan was to study when I wake up, so I'll do some when I go to classes and when I wake up again after sleeping.
Or something, I'm getting tired again and blabbering, maybe I should think some more about uni haha
Old 04-26-11, 02:07 AM
Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloralera View Post
Wasn't planned, went to bed and just thought of what's going on currently with uni and I couldn't sleep anymore.
Plan was to study when I wake up, so I'll do some when I go to classes and when I wake up again after sleeping.
Or something, I'm getting tired again and blabbering, maybe I should think some more about uni haha
I dunno how much thinking about it is going to help. I'd work more on that studying thing if I were you.

Old 04-26-11, 02:10 AM

True, I tend to overthink things and not do enough, check the topic below this one for more info.
But it was like, "ahh so tired, let's sleep, mmm, tomorrow ill wake up, go to uni, do this, have to do that, but what about that, ah fml", train of thought wrecked and messed my sleep

It's 8:11 here, I'm gonna go to uni, work on my homework, finish my little script from which I'll study for tomorrow and then we'll see how it goes. I'm off now, later.
Old 04-26-11, 04:53 AM
ADDvanced Member

Jade Sea is on a distinguished road

I despised all-nighters, but they were a very necessary part of student life for me. It baffled and bemused me how well I'd end up doing as a result. I often thought to myself 'if I'm capable of achieving grades like that under such severe time constraints and stress imagine how well I could do if I somehow managed to get to work on my assignments as soon as they were assigned!' If I ever go back to higher education I'm going to use all of the information/techniques that I learnt from my most recent attempt. It amazed me how efficient my housemates were and it seemed so easy for them as they consistently scored good grades during the 2 years we lived together. We would often form workgroups especially leading up to and during exams, which really helped me. All belonging to the School of Biology determined that we had certain classes together so we were usually able to help each other if we were stuck.
I just wish I'd known from the start that I was ADD and that I'd been able to have medication to afford some kind of assitance. I went for a test in my third year and the doctor diagnosed me moderately dyslexic so all of a sudden there was a considerable amount of help afforded me by the Uni's disability unit, but alas it came too late. Things like a note-taker in lectures, a digital voice recorder, extra time in exams, being able to take more books out of the library for longer periods of time, beneficial study strategies, access to disability facilities around campus, etc. Problem was I was already supposed to have made a start on my final year dissertation, so as you can imagine the stress was enormous!
JS
Old 04-29-11, 03:20 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,662 Times in 787 Posts
Simenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant future

Its a really bad habit to get into. 49 and look I am up at 1am posting. Going to bed RIGHT NOW. Job interview in the am. Bad me... Bad bad me! 3 weeks makes a habit for most but it takes 5 or 6 for us and then 3 or 4 times again and again. melatonin at the same time every night or tryptophane. you start with deadline to go to bed like1 am. Do that for a couple of weeks , then 12 30, then 12. If you break routine start over again.
Old 05-04-11, 01:56 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

mushookees will become famous soon enough

procrastination is a big problem for me too, however in my case i cant handle all nighters, ive often left studying or finishing assignments till the morning/day they were due D: it seemed to get progressively worse, im usually really good at the start of a course yet by the end i normally drop out, so far i have 3 failed courses under my belt, thats 3 years down the drain. Only recently ive found out i have ADHD which explains alot of things.
Old 05-02-19, 11:22 PM

Riversong2022 is on a distinguished road

So, yeah... I have had a lot of experience with the putting things off until last minute thing. I only got meds this year but that has helped with it a lot. I try to say that when I get home I am going to do this but then I get home and say tonight. Then at night I say to myself just another chapter (reading) or another post and then I will start my work and then I go to bed. I just keep putting it off until the last second... I pulled my 1st all nighter ever 4 weeks ago (I never would have been able to do so withought my meds keeping me awake and focused!!!) and decided to not do so again. So I got 2 different apps that help. The first is SPACE it will monitor my time on my phone and I can set goals and compare my time to other people and try to minimize the time spent on my phone instead of doing hw. The second is Forest. You set how long you are going to work for and hit start and a plant will start to grow. Then if you go out of the app b4 the time is up the plant dies. I use this to give me at least a bit of motivation. (These apps may not work for you but try them they help a bit...) I also try to take the time given in classes or during lunch to already have all the research done for a paper that I need fo write so when it comes to the night I have to write it I just have to write it and I know the topic well enough that I have a basic outline in my head. but even with these things I am still where I am right now... I have around 14 hours left until my research paper (that I have not written a word for) is due and a test on 5 chapters in Bio in about 10 hours (that I have not studied for at all and been absent for most of). I can only work for about 8 hours more but I am still here on my phone doing nothing...

What I think is my biggest problem when it comes to getting things done is motivation but I just dont know how to be motivated to do hw even though I have tried...

Yes I realize that my post thingy probably has nothing to do with what stuff above does and goes way off track but hey that is just the way I am!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Riversong2022 For This Useful Post:
aeon (05-03-19), namazu (05-03-19)