ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Wellbutrin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Wellbutrin (bupropion hcl)

Old 01-14-09, 10:33 AM

liquidmetal will become famous soon enough
Re: Bupropion + caffeine effect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman55 View Post
Has anyone noticed a different action for caffeine if you have it with Wellbutrin? Is there a potentiating action for either of the drugs when taken together, or does it increase anxiety, etc.?
When I was taking Zyban (Wellbutrin) 150 mg, Dexamphetamine 30 mg, and Buspar (Buspirone) 15 mg I had a coffee dairy beverage which had a caffeine rating equivalent to two standard cups of coffee. I've had it before, but the effect wasn't noticeable or the same. I notice if you have caffeine with Dexamphetamine it will potentiate the effects of amphetamine, however, with Bupropion, it created an initial amphetamine-like high, followed by immense anxiety (had to take a Xanax!). In conclusion, and based on what others have said, it is fair to say that it does increase anxiety and is something to avoid.
Old 02-05-10, 02:40 PM

wowohwow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogo View Post
Oh yes - negation of life itself without impetus to escape. A type of antagonizing non-pain that would turn into anger if anger was interesting. Yes, Wellbutrin did help me with that. No longer angry at having to do all those menial tasks which would otherwise mark my dull, declining existence. No longer wondering how many more times I will have to brush my teeth before I die.
Quote:
Originally Posted by @tension View Post
...perfectly describes my current state of mind, - beautifully expressed! This enticed me to click your signature and check out your blog. You have a way with words. Keep it up.
Where is that blog link in your signature that @tension referred to? I'm curious now!
Old 08-09-10, 12:08 AM

complikated has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
By the way, one of the worst "ADD problems" I'm having right now is insurmountable, endless boredom, not being able to enjoy anything without chemical stimulants (like caffeine.)

Anyone else familiar with this CONSTANT boredom feeling? Did Wellbutrin help you with this?
Oh yes, I am very familiar with that state! It was exactly how I was feeling when I was started on Wellbutrin back in Jan. '09...it was like even watching TV or browsing the web was no more stimulating than staring at a wall (which I did sometimes).

Since people on this forum so rarely seem to follow up afterwards to say "hey, turns out this worked pretty well," I'd just like to say that Wellbutrin XL (the generic, which I guess isn't even as good as the real thing) did help get me out of this state. Though it was not immediate...it took some time to adjust, but by early summer I was suddenly starting random art projects again even.

Unfortunately, at some point around Dec. '09, my prescription was changed to the SR version for reasons I don't know...but I ended up backsliding a little, though not completely back to zero as it were. Only, it snuck up on me as slowly as the being interested in things snuck up on me, so I didn't even notice until recently. No idea why it became less effective, though.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-10, 03:04 AM

Jeremy89 is on a distinguished road

I've only been on Bupropion for ~10 days now but I have managed to avoid caffeine intake almost altogether (probably since getting fired and needing caffeine to operate in an ER at 6am). Just had a soda tonight and it seems like it has a reverse effect. I am so tired right now!!
Old 10-06-10, 07:51 PM

ADHDAlbert has a spectacular aura aboutADHDAlbert has a spectacular aura about

I'm familiar with the boredom, and the need for something extra to make things interesting. Wellburtin has been great for me. I've only taken it for 2 1/2 weeks but I see a huge improvement in my mood, and am starting to get more engery to do the things that I have too.

But I have seen that it makes me a light weight with caffeine, beer, and weed. 3 weeks ago I would drink a man twice my size under the table. Now 2 beers and I'm done. Same with coffee. I used to have to drink a ton just to get something, but now 1 cup is all I can handle. After that I just get tense and shaky.

One of the side effects of wellbutrin is to lower the body's seizure threshold. So the warning paper they gave me said not to take any high caffeine products like no-doze and diet pills as they increase that side effect.
Old 04-29-11, 12:41 PM
Jr Member

kmn232 is on a distinguished road

I'm a store manager at Starbucks so my life is coffee... I take Wellbutrin 400SR and the effects of caffeine are almost euphoric to me, the caffeine boosts the good effects of the Wellbutrin for me. But, I have had a high caffeine intake for about 8 years...

Just added Concerta to the mix so I had to cut back dramatically, but still get the good feeling with the bit of caffeine I let myself have now...
Old 04-29-11, 01:54 PM

CityofIce is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Bupropion + caffeine effect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogo View Post
Oh yes - negation of life itself without impetus to escape. A type of antagonizing non-pain that would turn into anger if anger was interesting. Yes, Wellbutrin did help me with that. No longer angry at having to do all those menial tasks which would otherwise mark my dull, declining existence. No longer wondering how many more times I will have to brush my teeth before I die.
That is so perfectly worded. I could never verbalize my "normal state" before meds, but you summed it up right there.
Old 04-29-11, 02:03 PM

CityofIce is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Has anyone noticed a different action for caffeine if you have it with Wellbutrin? Is there a potentiating action for either of the drugs when taken together, or does it increase anxiety, etc.?

If I begin a Wellbutrin regimen I would be adding it to Paxil 30mg (once a day), so if I had caffeine on top of that combination, who knows what the effect would be...
I was a huge Redbull drinker before I started on Wellbutrin. Now it just makes me anxious and paranoid, with no benefit whatsoever. I prefer green tea if I do need any extra "pick-me-up," but since my doctor added Vyvanse to the mix, caffeine just doesn't have the same appeal it once did.

By the way, I do NOT suggest drinking any Starbucks lattes while on the Wellbutrin/Vyvanse combo. That was a rough few hours.
Old 04-29-11, 08:52 PM
Forum ADDvocate

425runner has a spectacular aura about425runner has a spectacular aura about

Well...there's always 0.5 mg Klonopin or even 0.25 to take the edge off. I love drinking a few Diet Cokes with my Wellbutrin XL.
Old 05-10-11, 02:27 PM

feelme03 is on a distinguished road

Makes me a little jittery if I drink to much coffee.
Old 06-25-11, 07:47 PM
Jr Member

ChillMike04 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
By the way, one of the worst "ADD problems" I'm having right now is insurmountable, endless boredom, not being able to enjoy anything without chemical stimulants (like caffeine.)

Partly I am facing this because I'm a recovering drug/alcohol addict (amphetamines first...) and of course I caused some burnout of dopamine receptors and God knows what other kind of damage I did. The alcohol ended up making me "slower" mentally, I'm just not as sharp as I used to be and it really sucks. Altogether, I'm left in a permanent kind of "anhedonic" state.

Anyone else familiar with this CONSTANT boredom feeling? Did Wellbutrin help you with this?

yeah it did. i have the same background and wellbutrin seems to work very well in that it gives you a sense of wellbeing and purpose. go ahead, try it... helped me quit drinking and quit smoking(although i still smoke mmj). it helps me with... let's see...
depression
concentration
sex drive (definite plus here)
anti-social behaviour
decrease in appetite
memory( another plus as i have a bad one)
increased attention to detail
helped me enjoy my music again
got me off other drugs and alcohol

some negative side effects i have are...
sweating(doesn't bother me that much as i sweat where i work anyway)
anxiety(the first few weeks i had some pretty bad anxiety, but has subsided for the most part)
Old 06-25-11, 09:19 PM
Contributor

quirkyscrawler will become famous soon enough

I'm familiar with this constant boredom thing. I've been struggling with it also...Adderall used to mask it, but I'm not able to take it right now (also went through a period of slight abuse with it), and it's been hard going from that state of mind back to this all too familiar boredom. Wellbutrin does help a little? I'd recommend trying to stay in action doing things...Too often I pause and reflect upon how I'm feeling in terms of the boredom (and is the medication working?, etc. etc.) and it seems to make the situation worse. Sometimes it's a matter of tricking oneself into starting something, but sometimes it does require switching up activities. The problem with my schedule right now is that I'm unemployed and not in school at the moment, although I have all this unstructured time, that I'm supposed to use towards writing a thesis. Unfortunately, progress has been slow and I think I do better with having something structured during the day, like classes to attend (I also learn best by listening during lectures/discussions and taking my own notes)...However, learning how to use this unstructured time is I guess part of the territory of my discipline (creative writing)...I haven't yet overcome my demons. Good luck, and lemme know if you find something that works.
Old 07-05-11, 12:29 AM

alkalineashes will become famous soon enough

i feel great while i drink it but than shakes and comedown are horrible making it not worth it
Old 07-08-11, 10:04 AM

nolagirl70 is on a distinguished road

i'm down on one cup of half calf coffee a day...and my diet coke consumption is cut way down too....i find i get the shakes if i drink too much.

saves me $!!
Old 07-08-11, 10:15 AM
Registered

Thanked 17,760 Times in 8,903 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

I dont have a problem with coffee & Wellbutrin.

Try switching to SR or XL wellbutrin. It's smoother

"I think David Archuleta's picture is starting to annoy me." - BellaVita

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook