ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Wellbutrin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Wellbutrin (bupropion hcl)

Old 07-10-08, 03:45 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Batman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to behold
Bupropion + caffeine effect?

Has anyone noticed a different action for caffeine if you have it with Wellbutrin? Is there a potentiating action for either of the drugs when taken together, or does it increase anxiety, etc.?

If I begin a Wellbutrin regimen I would be adding it to Paxil 30mg (once a day), so if I had caffeine on top of that combination, who knows what the effect would be...
Old 07-10-08, 07:51 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

newfdog is a glorious beacon of lightnewfdog is a glorious beacon of lightnewfdog is a glorious beacon of lightnewfdog is a glorious beacon of lightnewfdog is a glorious beacon of lightnewfdog is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Bupropion + caffeine effect?

Don't know about the Paxil, but with the Wellbutrin, I had to cut way back on my coffee in the AM when I take my meds. It would make me wired and really anxious, but hours later I get sleepy which is the Strattera.
Old 07-10-08, 09:27 AM
Contributor

gogogo is just really nicegogogo is just really nicegogogo is just really nicegogogo is just really nice

Had a large regular Starbucks once - forgot to order decaf - never again. I was so wired driving I felt like I was in a video racing game...
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-08, 09:22 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of

One of the metabolic products of buproprion acts on dopamine. In essence, buproprion can act like a stimulant. Taking caffiene with it is taking MORE stimulant so you get more of the bad effects like anxiety, etc, etc.

Myself I limit my caffiene to two cups of coffee per day. Partly because it causes me to have an irregular heartbeat and partly because it does indeed interact with my adhd meds.

ME
"Sig personnas illegitum non carborundum." (unknown)
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)
The Following User Says Thank You to speedo For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (07-11-08)
Old 07-11-08, 01:33 AM

Thanked 3,792 Times in 1,934 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm down to one cup of coffee in the morning. Ironically, Wellbutrin helped me quit smoking and coffee just doesn't taste the same without a cigarette. Small price.

Phaedrus

Old 07-11-08, 03:22 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Batman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to behold

Well then I should ask, does Bupropion remind you even vaguely of some of the effects of caffeine?

It looks like I'll have to quit the caffeine consumption if I try Bupropion. I'm hoping it's worth it.
Old 07-11-08, 03:38 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

By the way, one of the worst "ADD problems" I'm having right now is insurmountable, endless boredom, not being able to enjoy anything without chemical stimulants (like caffeine.)

Partly I am facing this because I'm a recovering drug/alcohol addict (amphetamines first...) and of course I caused some burnout of dopamine receptors and God knows what other kind of damage I did. The alcohol ended up making me "slower" mentally, I'm just not as sharp as I used to be and it really sucks. Altogether, I'm left in a permanent kind of "anhedonic" state.

Anyone else familiar with this CONSTANT boredom feeling? Did Wellbutrin help you with this?
The Following User Says Thank You to Batman55 For This Useful Post:
adhdseeker (11-15-15)
Old 07-11-08, 11:22 AM

Thanked 3,792 Times in 1,934 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman55 View Post
Well then I should ask, does Bupropion remind you even vaguely of some of the effects of caffeine?
I can't really say. I've never been a heavy coffee drinker. I do know that when I was down to two cigarettes a day, it was because of my morning and evening cups of coffee. I stopped drinking coffee for a few weeks so I could quit smoking. Now it just doesn't taste the same. There must be a connection somewhere.

I can't help thinking that some heavy coffee drinkers might have a harder time quitting smoking?

Phaedrus

Old 07-11-08, 04:19 PM
Contributor

gogogo is just really nicegogogo is just really nicegogogo is just really nicegogogo is just really nice

Quote:
By the way, one of the worst "ADD problems" I'm having right now is insurmountable, endless boredom...

Anyone else familiar with this CONSTANT boredom feeling? Did Wellbutrin help you with this?
Oh yes - negation of life itself without impetus to escape. A type of antagonizing non-pain that would turn into anger if anger was interesting. Yes, Wellbutrin did help me with that. No longer angry at having to do all those menial tasks which would otherwise mark my dull, declining existence. No longer wondering how many more times I will have to brush my teeth before I die.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gogogo For This Useful Post:
adhdseeker (11-15-15), CityofIce (04-29-11), Victor1985 (04-29-11), wowohwow (02-05-10)
Old 12-04-08, 12:20 PM

sansserif is on a distinguished road

Caffeine + bupropion = nightmare combination. It not only negates the attention-focusing effects of Wellbutrin for me, but gives me anxiety and chest pain as well. Not fun.
Old 12-04-08, 05:14 PM

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

I don't get it , isn't taking stimulants pretty normal for those with adhd . Batman , I noticed that you said you feel reliant on chemicals such as stimulants like caffeine etc.. because your constantly bored to death of things. Honestly with shame I have to add that prior to adhd stims I don't think I ever really was mentally available to realize much , if not anything... I was constantly just in a fog and daydreaming. So I don't understand it when you say reliant on chemicals like the ones that treat adhd . For the most part to be actively engaged and comprehend anything I have always had to take stimulants, actually it makes me feel pretty bad too. I don't want to feel as though I'm reliant on something that has helped me be mentally available.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hollywood For This Useful Post:
adhdseeker (11-15-15), Batman55 (12-05-08)
Old 12-11-08, 01:51 AM
Contributor

NekoGirl has a spectacular aura aboutNekoGirl has a spectacular aura about

I still drink caffeine with Wellbutrin, as long as my dosage isn't too high. Makes me feel about the same as when I'm not on anything.

I'm not a heavy coffee/caffeine drinker, but a steady one- it used to be hell when I forgot my daily cup, or got caught at the end of a cycle of tolerance- the Wellbutrin seems to be helping with that- we'll see.
Old 12-11-08, 08:25 PM
Jr Member

@tension has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogo View Post
Oh yes - negation of life itself without impetus to escape. A type of antagonizing non-pain that would turn into anger if anger was interesting. Yes, Wellbutrin did help me with that. No longer angry at having to do all those menial tasks which would otherwise mark my dull, declining existence. No longer wondering how many more times I will have to brush my teeth before I die.
...perfectly describes my current state of mind, - beautifully expressed! This enticed me to click your signature and check out your blog. You have a way with words. Keep it up.
Old 12-14-08, 09:49 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

gnbeg has a spectacular aura aboutgnbeg has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Has anyone noticed a different action for caffeine if you have it with Wellbutrin? Is there a potentiating action for either of the drugs when taken together, or does it increase anxiety, etc.?

If I begin a Wellbutrin regimen I would be adding it to Paxil 30mg (once a day), so if I had caffeine on top of that combination, who knows what the effect would be...
When I was first ramping up to 150x2 SR, adding caffeine really did make me hyper and irritable. I reduced my intake of caffeine dramatically.

I've been on the stuff for 2 months now, switched to XL this month, and caffeine hardly effects me at all. I'm back to my usual caffeine intake, 2 cups in the morning with a diet coke in the pm. Don't notice hardly any adverse effect.
Old 12-14-08, 11:04 AM

Thanked 1,779 Times in 1,010 Posts
Driver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond repute

Bupropion is partially a stimulant, so it's not surprising that when combined with caffeine, people begin to feel over-stimulated.

As for the post before about the irony of bupropion helping with smoking cessation? Well, that's one of the prescribed uses of it...
sly123 (11-25-17)