ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Wellbutrin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Wellbutrin (bupropion hcl)

Old 01-24-08, 05:17 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice
Wellbutrin +Concerta Combined therapy

Hello all,

I'm new here to this forum , so be kind.

I've had adhd all my life obviously and have since 8th grade all the way up until this point been treated with ritalin and concerta. Virtually symptom free. I know that both ritalin and concerta are the same only in different releases. Well, everything was going fine up until college graduation about 3 years ago, and since that point I've been really struggling to pull off any type of focus or task oriented behavior at all! It sucks, I'm suffering from the hallmarks of adhd every single day, short attention span, unfinished projects... the list goes on and on.....I thought that I was depressed, I'm not sure ? I added wellbutrin to my medication regiment in hopes that it would help. It's been 2 months while taking my concerta and wellbutrin and I feel better emotionally but mentally I'm a complete moron? The thing is that I was a straight A student in college , it feels like the wellbutrin is helping my feelings but turning me slowly into a worse case of adhd . What can I do ? All I want is for things to go back to my normal self , so I can move , take a new job and be happy......Any help is appreciated
Old 01-30-08, 05:51 PM
ADDvanced Member

flatlinez will become famous soon enough
Re: Wellbutrin +Concerta Combined therapy

You should really see about trying other types of medications. You might be able to keep the Wellbutrin at the same time, but I don't know and only your doctor will know.
Old 02-18-08, 02:24 PM

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

I think my post was premature , I've been on the wellbutrin now for three -ish months . I'm really starting to feel better all of a sudden , it' s weird . I guess I was really really depressed there for a stretch ( 3 years ). I'm feeling much better now. I guess it takes around 3-6 months to really start clinically changing major depression..
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-08, 11:03 PM

otherhalf is on a distinguished road
Red face Re: Wellbutrin +Concerta Combined therapy

Hello Hollywood,

I was wondering if you could share more info on your combo therapy--does it help with impulse control?? Did the wellbutrin ever make you clearer?? I have an ADHD boyfriend and am new to all of this. He went his ENTIRE life without diagnosis until we met (50 years!!!). After months of wacky behavior I am figuring him out. I got him to see a psychologist and he is now on Ritalin which has been tremendoulsy helpful. Now I am thinking he would benefit from wellbutrin as well. He has Very impulsive behaviors which he doesn't think he has--or rather he thinks he can keep under control--but....

I love this man so much and would like so much to make this work but seriously, there are days...

I am having a hard time finding definitive info on the combining of these two medicenes. Any info you could provide on any topic relating to this combo would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-14-08, 01:40 PM

otherhalf,

Sorry for the delay in response... I would say that wellbutrin takes time to really get into the system ( that is regarding the antidepressant properties ) and yes I would say that wellbutrin and concerta do work well together. Wellbutrin basically gives you back lost desire that was lost while depressed and then eventually when on the correct dosage it definitely works synergistically with concerta. Overall, I had alot more energy , sometimes too much , but really.... I mean how many people complain about having too much energy? I'd say that it helps with impulse control and smoothes out the general mood changes caused by adhd too.
The Following User Says Thank You to hollywood For This Useful Post:
425runner (02-09-14)
Old 04-14-08, 09:50 PM

teemunney is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood View Post
otherhalf,

Sorry for the delay in response... I would say that wellbutrin takes time to really get into the system ( that is regarding the antidepressant properties ) and yes I would say that wellbutrin and concerta do work well together. Wellbutrin basically gives you back lost desire that was lost while depressed and then eventually when on the correct dosage it definitely works synergistically with concerta. Overall, I had alot more energy , sometimes too much , but really.... I mean how many people complain about having too much energy? I'd say that it helps with impulse control and smoothes out the general mood changes caused by adhd too.
Hmm...this sounds like good news overall. I hope things go well for me too--I'm starting Wellbutrin tomorrow and I've been on Concerta and Ritalin for a few months already.
Old 04-15-08, 01:49 PM

brewskijmu is on a distinguished road

I am the opposite - I've been on Wellbutrin for 8 months and just recently added Focalin almost 2 weeks ago. Seemed to be okay the first few days (headache at the end of day on the first) but by the end of the week I was really hurting. Bad headaches, pressure behind eyes, shortness of breath, excessive yawning, extemely drowsy...basically, the side effects were so overwhelming that I couldn't do anything but stare into space. I should add I didn't get a lot of sleep that week, but I've been tired before and never felt that way. It was definitely the Focalin. I tried calling my doc Friday and didn't reach her, so I took Sat and Sun off because I didn't want to ruin my weekend. I woke up with a bad headache Sat morning but took advil and it went away. Monday I started up again, and the headache returned, with a strange sensation in my forehead like I really needed to stare straight ahead and I felt a little out of touch with reality. Headache left that night though and I've been ok since (knock on wood).

I'm just not sure if all those effects have been worth it yet, and I'm wondering if this gets better? It seems like I have to take a break just to get past the side effects, but is it better to keep taking so I will build immunity to them? They just seemed to get worse with each day.

As a side, I love the Wellbutrin, and aside from anxiety and flushing in the first few weeks, it's been really easy to take.
Old 04-15-08, 04:12 PM

brewski,

So , your saying that your negative response has been from the focalin only correct? So, the wellbutrin has been overall positive and the only negative has been the focalin?
Old 04-15-08, 04:18 PM

Yup, the negative response was definitely the Focalin. I just talked to my doc and she is prescribing Concerta (which is more relevant to this post anyway) so I'm hoping for better results. So the combo will be 300 mg WB and 18 mg Concerta. Any thoughts? I figured they would act the same since they are both methylphenidates but she said they could be totally different for me. I'm skeptical but going to give it a try...I was hoping for a complete switch to the amphetamines but she wanted to try this.
Old 04-15-08, 04:29 PM

brew,

you may like the concerta... I've been on both concerta ( currently) and focalin. I think they both work in the right dosages but ritalin + concerta seems to work better than just focalin. Hang in there, once you try concerta if you have the same problems you can go right to adderall. My doctor allows me to choose whatever stim I seem to think works best , you may find that adderall and wellbutrin may work the best for focus .
Old 04-15-08, 04:56 PM

hollywood,

thanks for the encouragement. did you notice any change in side effects from the focalin to the concerta, or was it mostly just related to the effect on your focus? i just didn't get anything positive out of the focalin at all. i was really disappointed. hopefully the concerta will be better. thanks!
Old 04-15-08, 05:00 PM

I think concerta is much better than focalin. It's hard to tell sometimes because the ir ritalin makes the concerta run a bit smoother. Let me know how it works out
The Following User Says Thank You to hollywood For This Useful Post:
G252013 (12-14-12)
Old 04-11-10, 04:49 AM
ADDvanced Member

windsoul will become famous soon enough

Hey Hollywood,

At the time (2 years back) when you posted, what was the dosage of Wellbutrin and Concerta you were taking?

And was the Wellbutrin generic or brand-name? SR or XL?

Thanks, I'm only on day 2 of Wellbutrin SR 150mg, which is still too early to see/tell the effectiveness for me. I have been on concerta before, and it made me feel unnatural after a period of months taking it - I was taking it for a period with an SSRI and another period without any SSR.

However, I am interested w/ regards to mixing concerta with wellbutrin.

Thanks
Old 04-12-10, 03:23 PM

MrCowbell will become famous soon enough

Did the concerta/wellbutrin combo affect anyones appetite? I read a lot about strattera and low appetite but not so much wellbutrin.

Old 04-12-10, 03:53 PM

windsoul,

I have always taken concerta twice . 90 in the mornings and another 36 at 1pm. Thats 126 total , with 18 mgs taken in the morning ( 90 concerta =3 doses of 18mg doses daily ) and 36mg concerta at 1pm=6mg ritalin released continuously after that. My starter dose of wellbutrin was 150xl and I always used brand name. That being said , I found that the 150xl works well for 4-8 weeks and then an increase to 300xl is usually the norm. Alot of people on 300xl with stims can say it's too much and having too much will kind of make you feel "locked or just zoned out or stoned". Since, I'm no stoner I always use the word sparingly. Anyways 300xl will definitely improve your mood and energize you much more than 150xl but both are of benefit. I have recently been trying intuniv, it makes me less angry but other than that kind of sucks. Wellbutrin is the way to go , it's the only adjunct that helps with adhd but it can slide you some anxiety. It all depends on how much you enjoy your 9-5 and what you choose to focus on . Meds get you close but not all the way. Wellbutrin is the best augment I've been on to this date, but it's not perfect. So do not look for perfection. Perfection comes with your choices and what you do with it. Wellbutrin xl starting up can trigger some anxiety and other strange things but just ignore them. Side effects mean nothing and are transient. Give it 8 weeks.