ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Wellbutrin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Wellbutrin (bupropion hcl)

Old 05-10-12, 09:37 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice
Re: How long does Wellbutrin take to kick in?

Well it seems like you are for certain adhd and for certain I can tell you have been involved in doing things that are of no interest to you. I can tell you a few things. Wellbutrin isn't going to just work right away, it's going to take 2 weeks to just feel okay regarding side effect adjustment. Trust me I know . When your depressed you acess everything and you do it right away , so it's normal what you seem to be going through. So being overly evaluative is just part of a depression that is existing. It may come and go and may come and ease in different environments especially since your adhd . Secondly, wellbutrin 150xl is really not going to help your depression symptoms typically. So it's going to be another 2 week adjustment when you increase to on up to the 300mg amount. So in general 2 weeks to adjust on each new dose and then once your at that dose I'd honestly say 3 weeks and you will start feeling better and then 6 weeks and I'd bet you'll be feeling much better. Wellbutrin will at that point start working on drive , motivation and vigor. At times after your established on your dose guessing ' 300mg" you may start to feel less "felt" peaks of your stimulants . This is just one drawback of wellbutrin and then it has a tendency to negatively effect working memory and recall during exectutive functioning as well. It will over time get to be annoying . So , I'd say what your experiencing is very normal and to stick with it and give it more time. You will get past the sides . Other than that the real issue I have with it is the memory issues over the long haul.
425runner (05-14-12)
Old 05-10-12, 02:05 PM

DepressedChopra is on a distinguished road

It's a little over a week and a half since I've been taking buproprion sr. The first day that I took it (100mg) I felt speedy and slightly panicked because of the unusual feeling. The second day I didn't panic. I was to double my dose the next week. So, the first day on 200mg I felt quite panicked. And that tapered off the next day. So far, it seems like I have a dramatic improvement in my ability to focus on tasks, e.g. studying. I feel kind of dulled... Being able to focus makes me have less subject matter to aggravate my depression with. Yesterday and today, I've started to get headaches which are not terrible. I have a medication taste in my mouth all the time. And a sort of gurgling sensation in my head that I also experienced with Zoloft a decade ago, and the time when I was a kid and took someone's mellaril, because I was a silly kid. I think I am unusually sensitive to food and medicine though. The first day that I took Zoloft, I had what I now call a panic attack. But, people say you should feel nothing for weeks on Zoloft...
Old 05-24-12, 06:35 PM

spatial thinker is on a distinguished road

I just finished my first week and my dose gets doubled tomorrow to 200mg. So far my side effects have seemed to disappear almost completely. They were quite minimal to begin with. The doctor told me that it would take 4 to 6 weeks to see any real affects. So I am not expecting them for a while.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-12, 11:09 PM
Jr Member

Sentient6 is on a distinguished road

Been on it for a week now. 75mg to start then I was supposed to kick it up to 150 today but I did a few days ago since I wasn't getting any effect with my adhd. Dont really feel depressed anymore.
Old 05-25-12, 02:36 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

Personally I think wellbutrin is pretty good but it basically can hinder creativity of thought in my opinion and eventually once you adjust your evening crash terminates any effectiveness from stimulants and that is considered pretty normal. So if you bump up to 300xl it will work fine but I think after time on it you work well and it does decrease depression but I notice more gaps of fatigue and it burns my memory out after about 5 months on 300xl.
Old 09-26-13, 11:45 PM

IndieVisible has a spectacular aura aboutIndieVisible has a spectacular aura about

I started wellbutrin for depression, was advised it was a mild stimulant but depending how severe the depression was at determines how long it will take for you to feel it. I noticed improvement 1st day and I loved it. It was the first antidepressant I took that did not make me feel like a zombie or always tired with no energy or motivation. Wellbutrin works great for me as a antidepressant.

It does increase my anxiety and mood swings so I need to take benzos as needed. With low doses .25 xanax as needed I feel fine, in fact perfect. No sedated feeling energized and well normal! 100% fully functional.

My job is a high paced high tech job and I constantly have to read new study programs and take tests ad go to classes. I notice I zone out pretty fast so I asked my doc if I could try some ADHD meds. He said first lets up your dosage of wellbutrin to 300mg/day. Ok did and 4 weeks later I noticed absolutely no difference in concentration or focus and if any minimum. Told doc and he was still reluctant to give me any thing else and recommended a psch evaluation which I have one schedule.

Wellbutrin is not for everyone, but I tried every SSRI and hated them all. Wellbutrin is great for depression! It will probably increase your anxiety, and has little to no effect on ADD/ADHD. It is effective as a smoke add and yes you can loose weight on it too. It takes about 30 mns to 1 hour to kick in and lasts about 8 hours. Since it's not a SSRI or any other antidepressant it works very much like it's cousin amphetamines. If you stop or skip a day you fall back in to depression. It's a very mild stimulant but will increase the effects of other stimulants and lso alcohol. You may have trouble falling asleep the first few days.
Old 01-16-14, 06:33 PM

littlesmg88 is on a distinguished road

I am on day 3 and the first day I was tired. Then starting yesterday I had rage fits over dumb things. And all day today at work I've felt so depressed for no reason. Never felt this depressed before. I didn't talk or smile all day. 8 hour work shift. I've looked everywhere for answers, is it possible that these side effects will go away or is this how wellbutrin will always make me feel?? desperate for help
Old 01-17-14, 01:07 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,014 Times in 632 Posts
janiew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud of

Be patient with Wellbutrin and try it out. I took it before I knew of my ADHD diagnosis. It was one of the most productive periods of my life for whatever reason. But at higher dosages, it made my anxiety worse. So we kept my dosage on the lower end.
Old 04-10-14, 07:08 PM

aynots is on a distinguished road

My psychiatrist told me it would take 10 days to take full effect. I am feeling more positive already (less worry, I am a chronic worrier when things aren't going well... the last year) but am having trouble breathing, so I want to make it work. That and it worked before when I took it and it worked well for the ADHD as well.

My two cents... good luck I hope it works for you.
Old 04-11-14, 12:00 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Batman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to behold

I wonder if taking Wellbutrin can help you wean off another drug--in my case, the SSRI Paxil--which has been destroying all motivation, ruining my focus even more than the ADD alone, making me tired and complacent?

That's one of the things I'm hoping for, once I start the WB and then if the effect turns out to be positive enough. Never stay on SSRIs longterm, folks... you have your case study right here. It helps with anxiety/depression at first, but over the long haul, you just start sitting there and don't want to do a damn thing at all. Everything is a chore, just leave me alone and let me stare at the wall! That's the downside of SSRIs, in a nutshell.
Old 05-08-14, 10:12 PM
ADDvanced Member

Meteodan is a jewel in the roughMeteodan is a jewel in the roughMeteodan is a jewel in the rough

I've been taking Wellbutrin (100 mg) for 8 days. Before that I was taking Strattera for about 6 weeks, and it worked very well for my ADHD symptoms (though toward the end, when I was on 60 mg, I felt that I might still need a bit higher dose). Unfortunately, I had to go off of it due to some unpleasant side effects. My psychiatrist wanted to give Wellbutrin a try for a couple weeks before going for the stimulants, though he said it probably wouldn't work as well as Strattera.

Well, I have to say my experience with Wellbutrin hasn't been very pleasant. The first few days I felt very disconnected, almost as if I was watching a movie of myself going through the emotional motions of my day, instead of actually experiencing them. That went away after a few days, but was replaced by a deepening feeling of melancholy and apathy. My motivation to do just about anything absolutely tanked. My other ADHD symptoms didn't feel improved much at all, except--interestingly enough--being better able to read without constantly rereading the same paragraph or sentence, and my mind felt less cluttered with random thoughts. But, my ability to focus on tasks and especially my motivation was pretty much back to square one (i.e., before the Strattera).

The last couple days have been the worst. Yesterday, about an hour after taking my pill, I felt somewhat restless, but otherwise ok. Then around noon, I descended into a depressive mood unlike any I've felt in a long while, which lasted most of the rest of the day, only to lift in the evening. Today, it was the opposite. I went into the funk first, this time, and then dramatically came back out of it around lunchtime.

I decided I had better report this to my psychiatrist, and he told me to stop taking it (my local pharmacist independently seemed pessimistic about it working out for me, as well). I have a meeting with him next Tuesday, so hopefully I'll find out the next step then (my guess is some stimulant this time).

I know that for some it takes several weeks for the initial side effects to go away, but to be honest I can't help but be happy that I'm going off this stuff now and have the chance to try something else that hopefully will work more quickly and better. This is a pretty intense period in my life right now, and I want the cognition I had with the Strattera back to help me handle it!
Old 12-03-14, 05:22 PM

roflwaffle is on a distinguished road

It took a little over a week for it (150mg) to really kick in, but I felt it after a few days.
Old 12-08-14, 05:57 PM
Banned

Wowwowwow is a name known to allWowwowwow is a name known to allWowwowwow is a name known to allWowwowwow is a name known to allWowwowwow is a name known to allWowwowwow is a name known to all

150 Wellbutrin ,27 mg Ritalin ,20 mg citalopran
Old 05-30-15, 05:39 PM

q124107 is on a distinguished road

My doctor put me on 100mg wellbutrin twice a day, at first it worked amazingly. I thought it was just a placebo affect considering how fast my focus and thoughts were what I would call normal. My wife even noticed the difference. Than after a few weeks, nothing. Like taking sugar pills. My doctor up'd it to 300mg XL but still no effect. I feel like I was teased with normalcy and now I cant get it back. Im still hoping tho. Only been on the XL for a week, I'm giving it time to work.
Old 10-04-15, 05:58 PM

Daniel8Daniel is on a distinguished road

Hi winter78200

I also have cried after four days of taking it. It seems like my emotions/emotional pain is on steroids. I see your post is all the way back to 2006. How have things worked out for you?