ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Bipolar
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-19, 05:09 PM

LifelongADD is on a distinguished road
RSD not bipolar

I was diagnosed a decade ago with ADHD and bipolar II. After trying a whole bunch of different medications and combinations I ended up on adderall and lamictal. The thing is that I have never felt bipolar, although I do get really down sometimes I never really felt the manic part. I have a couple friends that are bipolar and when they get manic itís really obvious whatís going on. But the shrink said I was bip9ar so I took the medicine.

Recently I ran across an article by a doctor from Denver (which is in my back yard practically) by the name of William Dodson. The Article was in Additude magazine and it was about RSD (Rejection Sensitivity Dysphasia) and as I read the description and the associated symptoms I almost fell out of my chair. I was reading the story of my life in one article. Dr Dodson went on to say that it was pretty common for a person with ADHD to be mis diagnosed with bipolar when it is really RSD.

I went to my psychiatrist this week and he took me off the lamictal and put me on a low dose of clonidine and guanfacine (which is an alpha agonist) I am very curious to see how it affects me in the near future.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
Old 04-29-19, 10:24 AM
Forummarm

Thanked 8,216 Times in 2,583 Posts
Andi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RSD not bipolar

I haven't ran across this and perhaps it would be helpful if you went into more detail of what it is...symptoms, etc.

Everything I write is fully substantiated by my personal opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to Andi For This Useful Post:
aeon (04-29-19)
Old 04-29-19, 10:43 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,865 Times in 12,537 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RSD not bipolar

Dr Russell Barkley has also talked about how people with ADHD feel emotions
more strongly and have trouble regulating our emotions.

Here's the article in ADDitude:
Rejection-Sensitive Dysphoria and ADHD

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me

Last edited by namazu; 04-29-19 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: Replaced link with print-friendly version (no ads).
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
aeon (04-29-19)
Sponsored Links