ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-18, 05:53 AM

littlesmg88 is on a distinguished road
withdrawal lasting longer despite tapering ?

I've been taking my stimulants more than prescribed since being on them and diagnosed 14 years ago. Every month is the same- I run out of meds after 2 weeks and spend a week in withdrawl then start to become functional again.
Usually after I run out of my meds (used to be on adderall now I take Vyvanse)- I sleep non stop for 3 days. But the past few months my sleeping has lasted longer and longer- first 5 days now up to a whole week before I become functional! Despite me now "tapering off" my Vyvanse before running out when I previously just ran out all together.
What's going on? Should I stop trying to taper down?
ADD, Major Depression Disorder, Anxiety, Panic Disorder
Past medications: almost every SSRI
Old 12-12-18, 07:30 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 22,363 Times in 12,041 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: withdrawal lasting longer despite tapering ?

Ideally, you should only take them as prescribed.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (12-13-18)
Old 12-13-18, 02:16 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,083 Times in 15,343 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesmg88 View Post
I've been taking my stimulants more than prescribed since being on them and diagnosed 14 years ago. Every month is the same- I run out of meds after 2 weeks and spend a week in withdrawl
Is your withdrawl anything other than being sleepy?

Quote:
Usually after I run out of my meds (used to be on adderall now I take Vyvanse)- I sleep non stop for 3 days. But the past few months my sleeping has lasted longer and longer- first 5 days now up to a whole week before I become functional! Despite me now "tapering off" my Vyvanse before running out when I previously just ran out all together.
What's going on? Should I stop trying to taper down?
I encourage you to speak to your doctor. Not just to tell on yourself but to maybe to consider other long acting meds. Did you take adderall xr when you tried it? Did you try and ir and xr mix? IMO someone who abuses (and I say that with compassion) their stimulants shouldnt be on vyvanse only because it takes a good 2 hours to start working and the compulsion to redose will be strong. Do you have a way to lock them and get them dispensed to you? Has there ever been a combo that kinda worked even if for a short while?

I carried a watermelon?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-18, 02:58 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,083 Times in 15,343 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

This is just a friendly reminder that this is the substance abuse and addiction section. {WHAT THAT MEANS}It is meant to discuss and share one's struggles with addiction or abuse, the struggle of loved ones affected and to talk about solutions and get advice. {WHAT THAT DOESN'T MEAN} Advice on how to make it through a month with no medicine, how to mitigate withdrawl symptoms if you are only trying to hang on until a refill rather than stop, how to potentiate, drug diversion, convince doctors of falsehoods or any other question that seems appropriate for a pro-drug use forum. Lets do our best to show encouragement and not condone drug abuse or diversion.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Alphawave (12-14-18), Greyhound1 (12-13-18), namazu (12-13-18)