ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Wellbutrin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Wellbutrin (bupropion hcl)

Old 09-23-18, 05:28 PM
Contributor

Funky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to all
Wellbutrin causing hyperactivity in primarily inattentive people?

Approaching a month on Wellbutrin, prescribed for ADHD. Still taking my Dex every now and then, but not nearly as much as I was before. Anyway, while generally things have been rather upbeat and leveled out for me, I've been noticing that when I hang out with my friends my personality orders on hyperactive. To the point where I am starting to wonder if my friends aren't getting annoyed by how much I talk when I'm around. I've never really been that hyperactive in my life, but it seems now like I've completely flipped to the other side of the ADHD coin. Has anyone else experienced anything along these lines?
benito (09-24-18)
Old 09-24-18, 01:19 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all
Re: Wellbutrin causing hyperactivity in primarily inattentive people?

I'm primarily inattentive, and Wellbutrin never seemed to do anything for me except for make my hands tremor. I don't remember it making me hyperactive, but I wouldn't be surprised if it can have that effect in people. It's generally considered to be a "stimulating" anti-depressant, whatever that's supposed to mean, haha. That's why people tend to take it in the morning for an energy boost, rather than taking it at night.

To the extent that Wellbutrin has any effect on the ADHD pathways in the brain, you can get those same effects from your Dex. The Dex would also be more selective than Wellbutrin, which affects lots of other brain areas. So IMO, Wellbutrin has little purpose for ADHD. And it's considered a third or fourth line therapy for ADHD.
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
benito (09-24-18)
Old 09-24-18, 03:49 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,083 Times in 15,343 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Wellbutrin was very agitating for me so I think in certain circumstances its possible.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
benito (09-24-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-18, 08:04 AM
ADDvanced Member

benito is on a distinguished road

Im predominantly inattentive. Wellbutrin made me irritable, with anger and trembling limbs. It didn't let me sleep either. But I think it is not related to the diagnosis, it depends on each person. Regards.
Old 09-24-18, 08:44 PM
Contributor

Funky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to all

I've definitely noticed the sleep disturbances, though thankfully that has leveled out a bit as of late. I don't feel like I'm any more irritable than usual, in fact if anything it feels like I am getting less irritated by the things that typically trigger me.
Old 09-25-18, 09:32 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,437 Times in 6,063 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

They took me off it because it was making me pick like I was on meth..Dr said wellbutrin has a chemical similar to the make up of meth and that's what was causing me the OCD face n head picking
Old 09-29-18, 01:47 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelyell View Post
Dr said wellbutrin has a chemical similar to the make up of meth
So does Dexedrine, Adderall, and pretty much any other stimulant medication...