ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TEENS AND YOUNG ADULTS WITH ADD/ADHD > Hangout
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Hangout A place for teens with AD/HD hangout and talk about what's on their minds.

Old 01-20-05, 11:44 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

chameleon has disabled reputation
Smile advice for my 17 yr son

Hi teens,
Sorry to invade your space here, but my 17 yr old son just got dx'd with ADD and is on Adderall for it, which he thinks helps.
I was hoping that I could get some advice from you all for him. I can't get him to come to this site yet, I think he's feeling kind of freakish for being dx'd ADD. I have severe ADHD btw. I want my son to know that he's in good company with his teen ADD. Any advice for him? What is it like for you all to deal with ADD as teens? He's not in school. I don't want to speak too much about him in case that makes him feel uncomfortable about coming here if we can get him to - and I suppose you wouln't want your mom going in first and saying a bunch of stuff about you. LOL
Thanks for reading -
Susan
Old 01-25-05, 02:41 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

casper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nice
U should tell him to get a name and get on here. A name that u dont know, that way he wont feel weird about u reading his posts and such.

I know i wish I would have found this site when I was younger!
If your important people will wait for u!
Old 01-25-05, 10:12 AM

Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute
How do you mean he's not in school?
Old 01-25-05, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper
U should tell him to get a name and get on here. A name that u dont know, that way he wont feel weird about u reading his posts and such.

I know i wish I would have found this site when I was younger!
Tried that.
I guess I can see how he'd feel funny being on a site his Mom is on, and figures I'd be able to tell it was him. Or maybe he doesn't understand how much this place helps you understand what's going on inside yourself. I didn't until I got here.
Old 01-25-05, 12:02 PM

Nucking_Futs has a spectacular aura aboutNucking_Futs has a spectacular aura about
Susan my son Koda is a member here. Not quite a teen but very close. He knows I read his posts but we have an agreement...NOTHING said here in the forums can be discussed outside of the forums. It's kinda hard on those "my mom sucks days" but sometimes I get a view of what is going thru his mind and a clearer understanding of what he is feeling and sometimes just sometimes his punishment is lessened because he was able to explain what the circumstances were better here then to my face. Your son is old enough to become a part of the community...perhaps let him sign himself up and let him check us out first before he posts. Get a feel for us and how we opperate so to speak. Think that would work?
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! What a ride!!"

Old 01-25-05, 09:17 PM

b-baller#15 is on a distinguished road
I was the same way when i was first diagnosed. i didnt want anyone to know i had adhd and i really didnt want them to know i was on medication cause i thought they would make fun of me. but now i dont have a problem with it. when my mom told my teachers i had adhd i was mad at her. but my teachers talked to me and told me they wanted to help and then i got over it. i think he should find someone he can talk with like his favorite teacher or something and then maybe he will feel better about it
Old 01-27-05, 12:33 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

casper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nice
Nucking_Futs- I love your thinking. having your son on the same forum as u and then u two not talking about it off of here is a great idea. I can see how that would be to an advantage for both of u.

Great idea!
Old 02-03-05, 08:03 PM

Thank you all for your input.
My son I'm refering to here sees the same psych I do, and we don't talk about our sessions either, unless one of us wants to share. Sometimes we'll want to share something funny that happened in our meeting, or a realization, or advice the psych gave us that we don't agree with! lol
My son is so busy lately, since going on the Adderall and Lexapro, that he really doesn't even have time to come in here!
He is a changed person. I never expected such a miraculous improvement in a person, and neither did he. He's so happy now. And he (like me) has chemical depression. He'd never felt what 'happy' felt like before. He was quite amazed!
And with the Adderall he's just a blaze of accomplishments! He gets more done in a couple of hours than he used to in weeks!
And he sees the world in a whole new way. He's loving and accepting of others. He's no longer angry. He even opens up to me now and talks about his feelings! Without me even asking!!!!!!
Again, thank you all.
~Susan
Old 02-03-05, 10:22 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Wow E-girl, that is great news. So happy to hear things are going better with your son. Maybe down the line he will feel the need or want to come on here and get more advice, but in the meantime it sounds like all is well!