ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Desoxyn
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Desoxyn methamphetamine hydrochloride (also known as desoxyephedrine)

Old 12-01-11, 02:26 AM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 21,388 Times in 10,789 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Holy Grail? -Desoxyn Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambourine-man View Post
Basically Adderall is one heck of a fling but I wouldn't want to settle down with it. Dexedrine is a very tempting mistress, who is always available, but not quite stable enough for an exclusive commitment. Desoxyn makes an excellent wife - you still have to put a lot of work into the relationship, but things are very smooth and reliable as long as you are respectful and appreciative.
I love how you're taking the long-term perspective -- after being "married" for a whole week!

(j/k)

Glad you're doing so well on it, and may you continue to have nothing but the desirable effects, without unpleasant side effects.
Old 12-01-11, 03:35 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
I love how you're taking the long-term perspective -- after being "married" for a whole week!

(j/k)

Glad you're doing so well on it, and may you continue to have nothing but the desirable effects, without unpleasant side effects.
It wasn't exactly love at first sight, but side-effects and shortages have left me no alternatives and I'm not crazy about the single life. Ha ha.

My "commitment" is not because Desoxyn is any more effective than Dexedrine or Adderall (in a lot of ways it is less effective) but because it gets the job done with the absolute minimum amount of side-effects, and because the shortages have really frightened me and I'm not worried about Desoxyn shortages as it is so rarely prescribed. I am, however, worried about discontinuation, at which point I would return to Dexedrine, which is an excellent medication.

I'm mostly just really ready to settle down. Sandoz Adderall became unavailable, so I switched to Dexedrine, which then became unavailable. I was pretty satisfied with both of those while I was on them, though side-effects increased over time.

I'm tired of playing musical meds. I don't like having to switch the medication that I rely on because it is suddenly unavailable.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
The Following User Says Thank You to tambourine-man For This Useful Post:
namazu (12-01-11)
Old 12-01-11, 11:52 AM

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

I would like to emphasize that I am in no one trying to downplay the overwhelmingly dangerous potential of Desoxyn or any other amphetamine when abused. No one should risk their mental or physical health by abusing these medications. Not even once. A single high dose of amphetamine or methamphetamine has an unparalleled ability to highjack a person's natural reward system and begin a devastating cycle of abuse. These drugs really do destroy lives. Responsible use and careful titration is vitally important. You must teach yourself to use these substances as tools, or they will use you!

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tambourine-man For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-01-11), befitnessnow (12-07-11), buddy (12-01-11), namazu (12-01-11), relxdd (06-25-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-11, 01:22 AM

I tried two doses of 15mg today, which actually seemed to last just as long as three 10mg doses. Dosing schedules are funny. Every medication is different.

Desoxyn feels much closer to an XR med. It takes effect relatively rapidly, but builds and declines very, very slowly. In a way, it is like Vyvanse but you don't have to wait around for two hours.

Also, higher doses seem to last much longer than lower doses. I would be very pleased if I could get away with a twice daily dosing schedule!

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
PositivelyPositive (12-04-11)
Old 12-04-11, 06:00 PM

Thanks to relax21 for providing this link, which he referred to as "the Bible of methamphetamine hydrochloride information." Good stuff!

http://www.biblioteca.cij.gob.mx/Arc...mphetamine.pdf

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
PositivelyPositive (12-04-11)
Old 12-06-11, 03:09 PM

My anxiety has decreased so significantly since switching to Desoxyn, that I am considering tapering off Celexa. I'm not sure it is neccessary at this point.

Does anyone know of any reason to stay on the Celexa/Desoxyn combo? Does Celexa in any way combat possible serotonin depletion from Desoxyn, or is depletion unlikely at my dose?

Advice?

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 12-06-11, 03:25 PM

foggedup has a spectacular aura aboutfoggedup has a spectacular aura about

K I can't find the wikipedia article that says "methamphetamine is neurotoxic, but xyz is not." I thought it was dex, but looking it up said that dex is neurotoxic at pharmaceutical levels too. So I guess in the long run by taking these meds, we're damaging ourselves.
Old 12-06-11, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggedup View Post
K I can't find the wikipedia article that says "methamphetamine is neurotoxic, but xyz is not." I thought it was dex, but looking it up said that dex is neurotoxic at pharmaceutical levels too. So I guess in the long run by taking these meds, we're damaging ourselves.
It is a bit of a stretch to say these meds are "neurotoxic" at therapeutic doses. There are so many variables that come into play. Also, there are a variety of effective ways to prevent any potential neurotoxicity.

Recreational doses are certainly damaging, and some evidence suggests that the damage is irreparable.

Relax21, I think you could offer some insight here!

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 12-06-11, 06:07 PM
ADDvanced Member

relax21 is a jewel in the roughrelax21 is a jewel in the roughrelax21 is a jewel in the rough

From what I understand, both dextroamphetamine and methamphetamine can cause neurotoxicity. Foggedup is right that even therapeutic doses may be neurotoxic, but as you said, tambourine-man, there are many variables.

The FDA's maximum dose of Adderall, Desoxyn, and Dexedrine (generally 60 mg MAX) are safety limits. Doses over 60 mg daily of amphetamines increase the chances of neurotoxicity, and are avoided for that reason.

It also depends largely on frequency of use. So, the longer you take amphetamines the more risk you face. However, taking amphetamines or methlyphenidates for 2 years is generally regarded as safe. Drug holidays are important, as well as maintaining a consistent dose.

Basically, the extent and severity of neurotoxicity depends on dosage, frequency of use, and route of administration (e.g., oral, intravenous, intranasal). At low oral doses of amphetamines there is little concern about neurotoxicity. If neurotoxicity does develop at therapeutic doses it is reversible, as the brain will heal itself with abstinence from the drug. But, if someone is injecting, smoking, or snorting amphetamines neurotoxicity may be irreversible.

Overall, amphetamines (including methamphetamine) are generally regarded as safe and effective drugs when used as they are intended. As long as you're taking your medication as your doctor has prescribed you shouldn't be worried about neurotoxicity.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to relax21 For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-06-11), foggedup (12-06-11), tambourine-man (12-06-11)
Old 12-06-11, 07:04 PM

I think this thread should be a sticky. It is very difficult to find quality information on Desoxyn and a great deal has been shared here. The shortages are resulting in a lot of desperate patients, yet most doctors are still ignorant about Desoxyn and extremely hesitant to prescribe it.

There is a large body of educational information in this thread which could be used to enlighten doctors.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
aeon (12-06-11)
Old 12-06-11, 07:11 PM
ADDvanced Member

LanCo Rider can only hope to improve

On the subject of Neurotoxicity... I am on a max of 35mg per day of Dex.

There are 1000mgs in one gram which is nothing for the street (meth) user.

The doses we are taking are so small that I really cannot see how they are harmful.

A meth user can use whats' called an eight ball (3.5 grams) in one "good" night or so. So that is like taking 350 10mg pills. I don't think our doses are too harmful, honestly.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LanCo Rider For This Useful Post:
amu_d (12-13-11), foggedup (12-07-11), tambourine-man (12-06-11)
Old 12-07-11, 12:36 AM

Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,333 Posts
CheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud of

Quote:
My anxiety has decreased so significantly since switching to Desoxyn, that I am considering tapering off Celexa. I'm not sure it is neccessary at this point.

Does anyone know of any reason to stay on the Celexa/Desoxyn combo? Does Celexa in any way combat possible serotonin depletion from Desoxyn, or is depletion unlikely at my dose?

Advice?
That is awesome!! I would ask your pdoc, maybe you can just taper and keep a close eye on things?

Do you use moodtracker.com? That is a great site to really watch changes and such. You can also share the info online with your pdoc if you want to.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CheekyMonkey For This Useful Post:
namazu (12-07-11), tambourine-man (12-07-11)
Old 12-07-11, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks to relax21 for providing this link, which he referred to as "the Bible of methamphetamine hydrochloride information." Good stuff!

http://www.biblioteca.cij.gob.mx/Arc...mphetamine.pdf
This literature claims that a single hit of smoked street methamphetamine typically contains roughly 22mg! That is over two thirds of my daily dose! It is not uncommon for addicts to sit around taking hit after hit for hours!

The devil is truly in the dose. A small glass of wine with dinner has been found to healthy, yet we all know that chronic, high dose ingestion of alcohol is disastrous to one's physical and mental health. Methamphetamine use is likely somewhat similiar.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 12-08-11, 04:39 PM

I picked up a month's supply of Desoxyn today (180 pills). It cost $450 for the generic!!!!

There has to be some kind of assistance available. Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 12-08-11, 05:36 PM
ADDvanced Member

cillianred is a jewel in the roughcillianred is a jewel in the roughcillianred is a jewel in the rough
Re: Switching to Desoxyn

Quote:
Let's face it guys, improved concentration is not the only reason most of us take stimulants. These drugs don't just treat our attention problems. They give us pep, boost our self-esteem, relieve our depression, and motivate us to be successful. They get us up in the morning and get us through the day. This is our dirty little secret. In a world where taking a pill to feel better is frowned upon, we have to pretend that our medications don't make us feel "good."

Guess what? My meds make me feel good! I like taking them! Is that a sin? Must I pretend that I hate taking a pill that improves my life and makes me happy? A pill that has, quite literally, saved me?
Yeah, you're right. Although, a lot of us might not know better at first. When I first switched to Vyvanse in 2010, I assumed the effects would be a smoother, long-lasting Adderall XR. Obviously that's not the case.

My experience from Adderall -> Vyv. has been exactly like your Dex.-> Desoxyn transition. More eating, sleeping, etc. Unfortunately I've taken Adderall for so long my brain is saying "this is different, but that means it's not working."

I sometimes wish my childhood pdoc had just kept me on Ritalin.