ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD A forum to discuss Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Simple Phobias, and Social Anxiety Disorder

Old 08-23-04, 07:32 PM
Jr Member

ScaredFemale80 is on a distinguished road
Driving and Anxiety

Another place I get extremely nervous is behind the wheel. I'm CONSTANTLY looking everywhere, always afraid somebody is going to pull out and hit me. This can be due to the fact that I got in a almost fatal car accident, which i'm sure brought on some of this anxiety. I can't get in the car with a stranger, because my anxiety skyrockets. I will feel like i am going to get sick to my stomach. I think I really need to get help now, because I can't live my entire life with this fear. I worry about who's on the road, will there be parking, all little stupid things. And they are all to the extreme. Thanks again for letting me vent. You guys seem to be the only ones who understand.
Old 08-23-04, 08:38 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Thanked 1,633 Times in 574 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredFemale80
I think I really need to get help now, because I can't live my entire life with this fear.
I agree. out-of-control anxiety and/or fear can can truly cripple you if you don't get help. IMHO, counseling and perhaps some medication may very well help you!

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
Old 08-27-04, 10:04 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Energizer_Bunny is on a distinguished road
I was in a car wreck as well and have major anxiety issues while driving even while someone else is driving. Living in Houston and driving in this traffic does not help. I also find that with some people I am more comfortable with than others.

I totally understand where you are coming from with the driving issue. Please make sure you discuss this with your doctor as well.
Old 09-09-04, 10:09 PM
ADDvanced Member

codeman38 is on a distinguished road
Yes. I have some major anxiety too when it comes to driving, partly because of my own record with such things; it seems like I rather frequently miss out on important things like stop signs, intersections, other cars, and so on while looking around. I don't know what to do to improve my observation and perception-- several years of practice doesn't seem to have been enough!
Old 09-09-04, 11:37 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

exeter is on a distinguished road
I don't really have anxiety when driving, but boy do I freak out if I'm lost and someone else is with me, or I have to be somewhere at a specific time. With my sense of direction (rather, lack of it), getting lost happens pretty frequently. I'm getting better, but still, it's not a pleasant experience. (I need a GPS!)

I'd like to mention that in addition to medication, cognitive behavioral therapy has been shown to be quite effective for this type of anxiety.

When it comes to car accidents, I've been lucky enough not to have ever been in one. I've had a few close calls, but my philosophy is always "no blood, no foul."
Old 08-23-06, 10:41 PM

sarahlee is on a distinguished road
Unhappy going crazy

hi, i have sort of the same problem. only i get so nervous because i worry that im going to take to long and then someone will beep at me for being to slow and not aggressive enough, i constantly stress out that im going to make a mistake and something bad is going to happen. sometimes i feel like im going crazy. I spend my time avoiding crowded situations and nearly have a fit if someone wants me to take them somewhere. i get so nervous i feel sick.

Last edited by sarahlee; 08-23-06 at 10:46 PM.. Reason: want to put more
Old 08-24-06, 09:57 PM
Jr Member

lor1973 is on a distinguished road
i have days where i have to look both ways 500 times and finally i hit the gas and go but not to often i dont know what triggers it now. It used to happen when i hit it hard on the weekend at the bars and the next day was the worst anxiety 200 percent thought i would never make it across town. i dont know what the alcohol does but the next day used to be anxiety hell at least i dont do that any more. doctor will get u the right med hand in there
Old 11-09-06, 09:58 PM

Rachel87 is on a distinguished road
scared

I have a long drive that I have to make twice a day, half an hour. I have to do this in order to get to school so there's no way I can avoid it. Driving really freaks me out now. When I know I have to go I become really upset and my stomach begins to feel funny. I dread having to get in my car and go. No one I talk to seems to understand this so I thought I was just weird. I'm surprised at how many other people suffer. I don't know what to so, I thought it would get better but it's not. I was in about 3 car accidents when I wasn't driving and I never panicked when I had to drive, only when someone else was driving. But recently I was in a car accident when I was driving and now I can't function properly. I can't take this certain highway, it scares me and I get really paranoid when ppl tailgate me. It helps to talk about this. i think I will talk to my doctor.
Old 10-16-09, 11:08 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,129 Times in 678 Posts
excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold
Re: Driving and Anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredFemale80 View Post
Another place I get extremely nervous is behind the wheel. I'm CONSTANTLY looking everywhere, always afraid somebody is going to pull out and hit me. This can be due to the fact that I got in a almost fatal car accident, which i'm sure brought on some of this anxiety. I can't get in the car with a stranger, because my anxiety skyrockets. I will feel like i am going to get sick to my stomach. I think I really need to get help now, because I can't live my entire life with this fear. I worry about who's on the road, will there be parking, all little stupid things. And they are all to the extreme. Thanks again for letting me vent. You guys seem to be the only ones who understand.
I know this topic very well. I get nervous driving on major highways in areas that i don't know. I get confused by the road sighns. Medication has helped along with hypnosis. I used to get nervous going over bridges.
Old 10-25-09, 04:16 PM

RestlessAbbey is on a distinguished road

You are certainly not alone!
I have GAD, BPD, and ADD Id say those are ripened for the picking for "driving anxiety"! lol
While I have had several incidents to reinforce my fears for driving I do not believe they are the cause for them.

For me driving is just so chaotic, too much going on at once, lights, sounds, worrying about my driving, the other peoples driving, making sure I know exactly where I am going, ie finding the right streets taking the right turns bleh. And if something bad happens, well it's real not a video game. The majority of the time I am fine, but it's still stressful on my mind/body, so it's mostly getting control of my mind/body response, the GAD. There's just so much to think about, it's stressful. Did I mention it's stressful? haha.

I just *hate* driving plain and simple. So much for positive affrimations! lol
I am lucky enough to be surrounded by understanding people who have the time to take me to my appointments or places I need to go, until I can get the help I need to finally get over this crap. I admit I trust my boyfriend way more than my dad in the driving department though, but beggars cant be choosers lol.

The driving for me is just a of the symptom of the bigger picture. It's not just driving that scares me it's living and thats the scariest thing of all.

I hope everyone finds the help they need, living in fear keeps us leading the lives we deserve and it affects everyone that loves us.
Old 04-30-10, 10:55 PM

greenmoment will become famous soon enough

Driving with anxiety is the reason why it took me soooo long to get my license...and then when I finally did and got a car I was terrified to drive by myself. It was really scary. I am constantly looking in my mirrors. I hate when someone is behind me because I'm afraid that people will beep if I do something wrong (which has happened haha). I would often experience panic attacks. I freak myself out.. and think someones going to hit me. I never got in a car accident... but I have dreams that I do all the time. I'm really glad I can share this with everyone... I've never talked about this with anyone before!
Old 05-01-10, 10:03 AM

SmallTownGirl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredFemale80 View Post
I know this all too well! I used to be fine driving, that is, until I got into 2 accidents that were my fault. Now I'm not so fine. To an extent I consider it a good thing cause I'm more careful, but often it's uncomfortable. Especially when I'm pulling out onto a road and changing lanes... it's bad.
Old 05-25-10, 07:31 PM
ADDvanced Member

Garbanzo Dude is on a distinguished road

This had been my #1 source of Anxiety.....I can't stand to drive over bridges or really hilly areas, I have even (almost impossible time) driving in new area where I'm not sure whats ahead. I always feel like the ground in going to give out from underneath me. My pdoc has recommended me to another MD who uses a virtual reality machine to help (cognitive therapy) I'll fill all you in when I try it next month.
Old 06-16-10, 02:17 PM
ADDvanced Member

QuantumIguana has a spectacular aura aboutQuantumIguana has a spectacular aura about

When I drive home from work, the traffic is bumper-to-bumper, and there is no shoulder. That really kicks in my anxiety. Sometimes my chest tightens up, it really is a feedback loop. I can't get out of the traffic, so I get anxious about what would happen if I needed emergency medical treatment in the middle of this traffic hell. That kicks in the chest tightness, which makes me worry more about an emergency, etc.

I have also noticed that if I take side streets, I don't have this anxiety, as I can pull over whenever I feel like it. It takes longer but if the traffic is bad on the freeway, I'll get off and take the side streets.

I'm actually a pretty good driver, because I'm cautious.
Old 06-17-10, 04:03 PM
ADDvanced Member

twisty will become famous soon enough

There are a few things that raise my anxiety while driving. Not to a point that it's extremely noticeable, but I can definitely feel it. I hate when people drive directly next to me at the same pace. I guess it's an odd paranoia, but it's annoying. I also hate driving in a high amount of traffic on the highway. I don't mind when we're going slow, but when the highway is high traffic and going fast, I get kind of nervous. I get that's also because I tend to get distracted easily.

I also tend to go out of my way to get places instead of taking the fastest routes because of some roads/maneuvers I am not fond of doing/taking. I hate when people drive with me because they get all irritated when I drive the way I do. There are certain places I hate turning at and certain places I hate turning left at. I'm just not good at timing when to pull out and I hate making people wait behind them. My family is always like "F$&@ those behind you" but I feel bad for making people wait.