ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Depression
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-11, 09:00 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,124 Times in 674 Posts
excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold
Re: Depression!!!

It's nice to see things get acomplished.
Old 05-04-11, 05:42 PM

excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold

Can others tell when you are depressed
Old 05-06-11, 12:21 PM

How can I get out of my depression
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-11, 03:31 AM
Nondescript Moderator

Thanked 6,572 Times in 2,694 Posts
APSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
Can others tell when you are depressed
Depends on who and *how* depressed for me...if it's not 'major' I can hide it for a while, and do, but my significant other will pick up on it before too long.

There have been a couple of others over the years who would pick up on it that quickly, but the vast majority won't notice until it changes my behavior dramatically, which I'm able to prevent when around others most of the time. When at my worst, I just didn't interact at all, so that was a clear giveaway.

Getting out of it is hard....time always did it for me...days, weeks, months, or even years, it's always lifted eventually to date....at some point. There is always effort involved too though...it doesn't 'just' lift...it lessens to the point where I can pull myself up, and that more amounts to aggressively fighting depressed thinking, and forcing myself not to isolate.
Old 05-08-11, 04:06 PM

How can you hide it?
Old 05-08-11, 07:48 PM
Nondescript Moderator

Thanked 6,572 Times in 2,694 Posts
APSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I come off as unhappy most of the time anyway, I'm told, so it's not like the change is all that dramatic in the early stages. Additionally, interacting with people, for me, is something that, excepting a few with whom I have a more developed rapport, is done by script and rote, so as long as I can make myself continue to follow the scripts, I can pass for my version of normal.

Hiding it is necessary sometimes, at work for example, and the people in such environments are the people it's easiest to hide it from by following scripts. Hiding it from those one is closer to is generally not a good thing, at least in my experience. Better to let people know what's going on so they'll understand any changes in behavior and adjust their own to accommodate.
Old 05-08-11, 09:04 PM
Forum ADDvocate

425runner has a spectacular aura about425runner has a spectacular aura about

Excel - how long have you been depressed and what meds are you on? I can't get out of this black hole either. Just as I start feeling better it comes back with venegance.
Old 05-10-11, 02:33 AM

Thanked 5,574 Times in 2,408 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

I've been fighting to stay out of the black hole for a while (for over a year now). I try to eat grain based carbs (they do help). I try to exercise a lot and spend as much time outside as I can. I find these things have managed to keep me functioning (not enjoying but still functioning)
zannie (05-16-11)
Old 05-11-11, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425runner View Post
Excel - how long have you been depressed and what meds are you on? I can't get out of this black hole either. Just as I start feeling better it comes back with venegance.
I am on BusSpar and Lexapro. For awhile now
Old 05-12-11, 12:24 PM

tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Excel.

Maybe try an experiment? Run or ride a bike around the block every morning for 1 week and see if it make a difference to you. If it does can you let us know?
Old 05-13-11, 05:16 PM

I can let you know.
The Following User Says Thank You to excel For This Useful Post:
tudorose (05-15-11)
Old 05-14-11, 05:35 PM

I wonder if my depression can be related to my anxiety issues
Old 05-15-11, 08:23 AM

Quote:
I wonder if my depression can be related to my anxiety issues
That's very possible. They kind of go together like a double edged sword (for me).

On the exercise thing I did this 70km ride today. I'm really tired but I feel a lot better for it. It's the first time for a while that I'm not getting disproportionately stressed and upset about stupid things.
anonymouslyadd (05-15-11), zannie (05-16-11)
Old 05-15-11, 03:20 PM

With excersie I can temporialy get rid of my anxiety
The Following User Says Thank You to excel For This Useful Post:
zannie (05-16-11)
Old 05-16-11, 05:24 AM

Quote:
With excersie I can temporialy get rid of my anxiety
That's great to hear. At least it's something you can use when things get unbearable.
zannie (05-16-11)