ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-19, 04:46 PM

EnergonWaffles is on a distinguished road
Addicted to Internet Browsing

Hey! I notice that I go through phases where I struggle with getting sucked into sites like Facebook or forums, and it ends up eating hours of my time. I have an extremely addictive personality - in fact, I don't even download games any more, not even solitaire, and if I buy wine or beer, I buy single servings, never a bottle. I know if I do I'll get totally addicted.

Issue is...a lot of my work involves me being online and using a computer. So simply not getting on the internet isn't an option. I have to have constant access to some sites.

Does anybody know a way to do a "whitelist" of websites, rather than a blacklist? A whitelist that only affected your personal computer used to be possible with Windows, but the new version of Windows 10 has scrapped this feature for reasons nobody knows.

Does any tech savy person out there know of any way to do a whitelist that would apply to only my computer?

A blacklist is a list that blocks the websites listed. A whitelist is a list that blocks everything except the sites listed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EnergonWaffles For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (05-03-19), namazu (05-03-19)
Old 05-03-19, 05:10 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 21,389 Times in 10,789 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Addicted to Internet Browsing

I hear you!

What browser do you use? Several of the blocking add-ins / apps / programs are browser-specific.

There are some more universal ones, though the one I used to use stopped working on me after an OS update and I haven't tried it recently.

(Also, be a little careful with the white-listing idea because a lot of sites call info from other domains/subdomains and sometimes you may inadvertently block content you really need to work.)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (05-03-19), aeon (05-03-19)
Old 05-09-19, 01:21 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,154 Times in 2,142 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

Google Chrome has this feature though I've not tried it

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...hokobgmh?hl=en

Unfortunately though, I don't know if you can do the same on MS Edge which I'm not sure you can uninstall from your computer. So you would have to resist using Edge as a browser.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (05-10-19), namazu (05-09-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-19, 06:27 PM

soulsearcher is on a distinguished road

Hello

I can relate to being online a lot. now I try to go for walks and limit usage as best I can. before 10 hours a day was nothing for me. if you want you can block sites using hosts file on a windows pc it is easy to do. also some routers you can block sites as well.
if you search block sites using host file you will se it just search on google