ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Old 09-17-18, 10:24 PM

Thanked 34,233 Times in 15,486 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute
book: how to raise your spirited child

the title of the book i might get is in the title of this thread. along with "a guide for parents whose child is more intense, sensitive, perceptive, persistent, and energetic" it's by mary sheedy kurcinka.

why i may obtain: my child is daily described by preschool teachers as "busy...always busy...lots of energy...never stops." sounds familiar

this book came up in a conversation i had with someone whose general approach/parenting style i don't know.

question: has anyone here read it? if so...what'd you think?
The Following User Says Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (09-18-18)
Old 09-19-18, 03:09 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,275 Times in 963 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation
Re: book: how to raise your spirited child

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
the title of the book i might get is in the title of this thread. along with "a guide for parents whose child is more intense, sensitive, perceptive, persistent, and energetic" it's by mary sheedy kurcinka.

why i may obtain: my child is daily described by preschool teachers as "busy...always busy...lots of energy...never stops." sounds familiar

this book came up in a conversation i had with someone whose general approach/parenting style i don't know.

question: has anyone here read it? if so...what'd you think?
Thank You Peripatetic.

Fantastic find!

I listened to the audiobook (3 hour original audiobook version), and I recommend everyone read the book and/or listen to the audiobook.

(There is a longer revised version, I also bought today, which I am looking forward to listening to)

There is lots of great topics to discuss.

I hope other members read/listen to the book/audiobook, so we could have a more in depth discussion about the information here at ADDFourms.

M
Old 09-19-18, 04:40 PM

In the first publication the author makes the very important distinction of a more intense, more sensitive, more perceptive, more persistent, and more energetic child, due to being born with a more hypersensitive temperament, and not AD(H)D.

M
Old 09-19-18, 06:13 PM

Thanked 30,751 Times in 14,141 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't read it. I'm not sure about energetic or persistent but fuzzling is definitely very intense, very sensitive and very perceptive so I'd be interested to hear more if anyone has read it.

I'm trying to read the highly sensitive child. I don't know if it's got any merit or is just rubbish but the description fits fuzzling to a T.
Old 09-20-18, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
I haven't read it. I'm not sure about energetic or persistent but fuzzling is definitely very intense, very sensitive and very perceptive so I'd be interested to hear more if anyone has read it.

I'm trying to read the highly sensitive child. I don't know if it's got any merit or is just rubbish but the description fits fuzzling to a T.

In my parenting experience, understanding and accommodating for a more intense, more sensitive, more perceptive, more persistent and more energetic temperament, are the most important things we as caregivers can do for our children.

Especially the ages before medication is even an option.

(I am not trying to create an anti medication ramble, I use medication as well.)

In my parenting experience, the information the author presents can help reduce delay in development, associated with AD(H)D, especially before the age of 4-7. (Although the information also applies throughout lifetime.)

That is how important I feel and think this thread conversation is.

I really hope other member read the book, or, listen to the audiobook, so we can discuss and raise awareness to help our children.

M
Fuzzy12 (09-20-18)
Old 09-20-18, 03:49 PM

Thanked 30,751 Times in 14,141 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
In my parenting experience, understanding and accommodating for a more intense, more sensitive, more perceptive, more persistent and more energetic temperament, are the most important things we as caregivers can do for our children.

Especially the ages before medication is even an option.

(I am not trying to create an anti medication ramble, I use medication as well.)

In my parenting experience, the information the author presents can help reduce delay in development, associated with AD(H)D, especially before the age of 4-7. (Although the information also applies throughout lifetime.)

That is how important I feel and think this thread conversation is.

I really hope other member read the book, or, listen to the audiobook, so we can discuss and raise awareness to help our children.

M
Do you mean the book in the title of this thread? How to raises spirited child? Does it apply to children as well who are sensitive but not necessarily extremely high energy?
Old 09-20-18, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Do you mean the book in the title of this thread? How to raises spirited child? Does it apply to children as well who are sensitive but not necessarily extremely high energy?
Yes, focusing on the author of the book mentioned in OP.

(I have not read the book you are presently reading, yet, but I have read about hypersensitive temperaments in general)

The author mentions in the book "How to raise your spirited child", that in general all children have all or combinations of intense, sensitive, perceptive, persistent, energetic temperaments.

But about 10 to 15 percent of children have all or combinations of an even more intense, more sensitive, more perceptive, more persistent, and more energetic temperaments.

The author also discusses other things like being an introvert or extrovert, and how those factors will infleunce each individuals reactions, etc..

I am going to study the book terminology and quote more accurately in the future, when this discussion gets going.

I am not use to using all the same terminology the author uses, but hope to in the future.

At this point in the conversation, I am trying to help promote having a extremely important conversation, with other members, focusing on information presented in the book "How to raise your spirited child", by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka.

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 09-20-18 at 04:35 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (09-20-18)
Old 09-20-18, 04:26 PM

peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
i may've been unclear in my thread start/title. the full name of the book in question is Raising Your Spirited Child, Third Edition: A Guide for Parents Whose Child Is More Intense, Sensitive, Perceptive, Persistent, and Energetic

sorry for any confusion i may have caused. x
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (09-20-18), mildadhd (09-20-18)
Old 09-23-18, 10:46 PM

Quote:
i may've been unclear in my thread start/title. the full name of the book in question is Raising Your Spirited Child, Third Edition: A Guide for Parents Whose Child Is More Intense, Sensitive, Perceptive, Persistent, and Energetic

sorry for any confusion i may have caused. x
I really like Mary Sheedy Kurcinka's approach to learning and teaching about the spirit of our homologous and more homologous human temperament.

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 09-23-18 at 10:56 PM..
Old 09-28-18, 02:10 PM

I bought the book today and will update after I've read it. This will be a while, though, obviously.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (09-28-18), mildadhd (10-01-18)
Old 10-01-18, 04:24 AM

Quote:
I bought the book today and will update after I've read it. This will be a while, though, obviously.
How exciting!

I am going to buy the book as well, and read along with the audiobook.

M