ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Wellbutrin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Wellbutrin (bupropion hcl)

Old 04-12-10, 09:59 PM
ADDvanced Member

windsoul will become famous soon enough
Re: Wellbutrin +Concerta Combined therapy

Hi Hollywood,

Thanks for your response.. I appreciate it. I haven't been getting much of late, both from private messages.. and 0 from the Wellbutrin thread http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81244 in which I was really hoping someone would give feedback to my enquiries.

Wow, 90mg!! Isn't that a lot? Btw, 3 x 18mg Concerta doses is 54mg, not 90mg?

I do understand about the side effects and allowing them to drift by.

Anyway, with reference to another member CircularingCats, she mentions taking 54mg in the morning and then 36mg in the afternoon. Why is it that you take 54mg (or 90 for you) in the mornings, and then take a 36mg for the afternoon dose? Wouldn't that be too low? I really don't know, but in my mind, I'm thinking, wouldn't one follow up with another Concerta (54mg for example) of the same dose in the afternoon since one is already taking 54mg in the morning? Please do enlighten.

Another thing is, I've been prescribed 150 SR Wellbutrin, ONCE a Day in the morning. I believe the p-doc did so because it's a relatively new drug where I live. I wonder if this is defeating the purpose of typically taking 2 SR's a day to get a "full proper effect". As most people in the forum do say that they take 2 when it comes to SR. What do you think?

Do you think I will still eventually get the same effect after the 4 - 8 weeks (say the medication does work for me) by just sticking to this 150 SR Wellbutrin? Or am I "losing out" when I could actually reach a steady state in my blood more efficiently by taking 2 SR's a day?

Thanks a alot, if you are able to provide some answers or feedbacks to my questions. (Or anyone else for that matter.)

- Windsoul
Old 04-13-10, 03:12 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

windsoul ,

no your incorrect or mis reading or interpreting the meaning of my response. 22 % of concerta is released immediately then the rest is released continuously. 36mg of concerta is really like 7.9mg of ir ritalin and then roughly 5-6mg continuously . 54mg of concerta would be about 10mg released immediately and then 9-11mg released continuously. So when you think about it that way over 10-12 hours you can finally understand that 90mg of concerta in the morning is really not as much as it seems . Its really about 16-18mg of ritalin released upfront and then continuously over the course of the day and then there is a deviation of 5-8mg maybe more thats not absorbed at all so it's probably more like 14mg over 11 hours or less. You see things are not always what they seem. 126mg of concerta is more than the approved 72mg dose but not that much more, it's really quite common for adults longterm to be on a larger dose pattern or regiment. It works fairly well but not perfect as few things are but the best strategy for success I have found is to titrate days with less at times when your not busy and counter tolerance... Cheers.
Old 04-16-10, 07:21 PM

kasch51 is on a distinguished road

I completely identify with your story and I also went on welbutrin in addition to my concerta to help me get started on life outside of school. Also I really like the combination of welbutrin and concerta
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-13, 04:44 PM

Robxlxl is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Wellbutrin +Concerta Combined therapy

I feel very lucky to have found this form...I'm really suffering right now and im not sure why...My Dr. took me off of Cimbalta,for my depression(this being the only meds i've been on for 4 years)...and put me on Bupropion(Wellbutrin) SR 150mg,and TEVA-METHYLPHENIDATE ER C 54mg(Concerta)....He did this because my depression has not been to bad and he thought switching to wellbutrin and the concerta would help me because I have suffered all my life with very bad adhd and add I have never tired meds for it till now....I cant see my Dr till next week but im kinda freaking out ....ever since I stopped the cimbalta and stated these 2 new drugs...at the start i was feeling a bit of a change and had allot of energy and felt pretty good and my the back of my head i could feel alot of Dopamein in the back of my brain. That's the only way i no how to describe this anyway....right now its been 2 weeks since i've started these new meds and stopped the old ones....I feel very very depressed at some points of my day and some times i just want to lie down and not move...I'm also feeling very dizzy sort of and spaced out wen trying to even watch tv....Should I stop taking these u think ? or wait till i can see my dr...this is very weird and not nice ...im finding im crying about things that should not matter and this is just not like me....I guess what my real question is,is do u think that this is just because ive only been on them for such a short time and possible this is going to go away with continued use? Thank you if anyone can help.
Old 02-09-14, 05:42 AM
Jr Member

Concerta1990 is on a distinguished road

I took 300mg Wellbutrin daily for 1,5 years. Then 2 months ago a start concerta and at the same time quit Wellbutrin cold turkey.
Two months with concerta, and my dose is 36+18. I feel depressed and think I'm gonna go back to Wellbutrin and continue the concerta. My doc seems to be fine with it. Are afraid of the side effects because I work with lots of people and Wellbutrin makes my face blush like crazy
Old 02-20-16, 09:44 AM

vanderSilk is on a distinguished road

Hello Hollywood,

after all these years, are you still taking wellbrutin and concerta combined with each other? do you still recommend it?

I have been taking concerta and its helping me focus but i am struggling with a light depression and have some anxiety problems. So i was thinking of changing to wellbrutin.

Also i like to have a few drinks every now and then with some friends but i heard its very dangerous with wellbrutin and its better to never drink again with these meds. do you have any experience with that?

kind regards
Old 02-27-16, 09:47 PM

Rainbow Skies is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Wellbutrin +Concerta Combined therapy

Hello fellow ADHDers,

I wanted to add in my experience so far, so I just joined to do so. I've struggled my whole life, with what doctors thought was anxiety issues. I've been on Effexor, which only seemed to cause more anxiety, but helped with some depression issues. I had been off of any medications for a few years, until a month ago, when I realized that I was extremely depressed. My grades at University slipped from high 80's to 60's, and I had no motivation.

My doctor started me on generic Wellbutrin 150 XL, and I will say that while it initially gave me more anxiety, soon that subsided, and I was left feeling calmer, (but also more sleepy), than I have my whole life. After two weeks the depression was lifting though, but then I started breaking out in hives.

I switched over to the brand name, and immediately stopped breaking out, and my mood dramatically improved. But I was still feeling pretty unmotivated, sleepy, and unfocused at university. My sister was diagnosed with ADHD, but for some reason it never occurred to me that I could have it.

Yet after creeping these forum boards for awhile, I asked my doctor to give me an ADHD screening, and when it came back as high likelihood, he started me on Concerta 18mg two days ago. Yesterday felt like the first day of my life, my head cleared, my mood lifted dramatically, my energy was great, and I was able to focus! Today I feel the same way! I know it's early days, but I'm really hopeful! Hopeful it will continue to work, because I feel hopeful again for my future. Especially because I've only been on the Wellbutrin a month, and it might lift my mood up even more!

I find the combination to be nothing short of awesome so far! I've also read that the Wellbutrin helps with the Concerta come down, and from building up a tolerance. I have to say, it's been a pretty smooth ride so far.

If you have Depression and ADHD, definitely give Wellbutrin + a stimulant a chance!
Old 03-02-16, 07:47 AM
ADDvanced Member

windsoul will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Skies View Post
Hello fellow ADHDers,

I wanted to add in my experience so far, so I just joined to do so. I've struggled my whole life, with what doctors thought was anxiety issues. I've been on Effexor, which only seemed to cause more anxiety, but helped with some depression issues. I had been off of any medications for a few years, until a month ago, when I realized that I was extremely depressed. My grades at University slipped from high 80's to 60's, and I had no motivation.

My doctor started me on generic Wellbutrin 150 XL, and I will say that while it initially gave me more anxiety, soon that subsided, and I was left feeling calmer, (but also more sleepy), than I have my whole life. After two weeks the depression was lifting though, but then I started breaking out in hives.

I switched over to the brand name, and immediately stopped breaking out, and my mood dramatically improved. But I was still feeling pretty unmotivated, sleepy, and unfocused at university. My sister was diagnosed with ADHD, but for some reason it never occurred to me that I could have it.

Yet after creeping these forum boards for awhile, I asked my doctor to give me an ADHD screening, and when it came back as high likelihood, he started me on Concerta 18mg two days ago. Yesterday felt like the first day of my life, my head cleared, my mood lifted dramatically, my energy was great, and I was able to focus! Today I feel the same way! I know it's early days, but I'm really hopeful! Hopeful it will continue to work, because I feel hopeful again for my future. Especially because I've only been on the Wellbutrin a month, and it might lift my mood up even more!

I find the combination to be nothing short of awesome so far! I've also read that the Wellbutrin helps with the Concerta come down, and from building up a tolerance. I have to say, it's been a pretty smooth ride so far.

If you have Depression and ADHD, definitely give Wellbutrin + a stimulant a chance!
yea im thinking about it - adding concerta, but im just 2 weeks in of wellbutrin and my doctor didnt want to add in concerta yet.

Wellbutrin is making me drowsy in the day, do you take yours at night or in the morning?

I read that some people take it at night - im just concerned it may affect my sleep
Old 01-24-18, 12:11 PM

ADD_Depression is on a distinguished road

I realize that this is an old thread, and I placed this comment on another board concerning the effects of SSRI's on concentration.

My question, is whether the anxiety that comes with wellbutrin eventually subsides, or gets worse? Also, I opted to increase the WB to 300xl, and continue to use 18mg of Concerta, however, I've been debating whether I should have kept the WB at 150, and upped the Concerta to 36mg. I've taken as much as 54mg of Concerta in the past, but that would be too much with the WB.

I already know the answer to my own question, whether answered here or presented to my MD, wait at least 4 weeks on the 300 to see. I'm about a week and a half in on the 300 and spacey and foggy.

Definitely more energy and motivation, but also a fair bit of apprehension. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks