ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 06-21-08, 10:20 AM
ADDvanced Member

lurker is on a distinguished road
"I want to start but I can't!" has meds helped for anyone who has this problem?

Mostly this is my problem-- Inertia. I panic (not classic panic attacks w physical symptoms though) and 'blank/zone out' and lose focus/train of thought (rinse and repeat), all the effort goes to trying to make myself study and just do it.
I am not medicated and do not have an official label. My therapist will moving soon and I'm trying to talk to her about it although here we are very cautious (and i guess rightfully so) about medication. For those who have similar 'issue's, has anyone found meds to be helpful in overcoming the inertia? Or do the meds really only help concentration.
Old 06-21-08, 02:38 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,018 Times in 641 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future
Re: "I want to start but I can't!" has meds helped for anyone who has this problem?

Have you heard of the book called "Waking the Tiger"? It talks a lot about panic and anxiety and how to overcome them.

FREEZE states -- a sort of physical or emotional or cognitive paralysis under Fear/stress) -- are part of the cycle.
The Following User Says Thank You to QueensU_girl For This Useful Post:
Prusilusken (06-21-08)
Old 07-18-08, 07:25 PM

keladry will become famous soon enough
Re: "I want to start but I can't!" has meds helped for anyone who has this problem?

This is a bit late, I realize, but better late than never? I just saw your post.

Before I say anything more, it should be noted that I've only been on meds (Adderall, 20mg XR in the morning with a 10mg IR booster later in the day) for a few days, so this isn't so much a long-term observation as a just-starting-on-meds-and-so-far-so-good thing.

I think I've gotten more done this week than I have all year. Not the big stuff, but the little "I need to do this and I want to do it but I can't get started" stuff. I'm not in school this summer, so I don't know if it'll carry over from returning phone calls, paying bills, filling out insanely complex forms, etc., but so far... absolutely.

I've had the same to-do list for months now, and plenty of things have been added but very few had actually gotten done. I started on Adderall Tuesday (like I said, just starting on meds) and managed to get the to-do list sorted into categories (phone calls, errands, stuff around the house, stuff on the computer, etc.) and then moved a few items from each category onto my calendar for the week until everything had been distributed and no one day was spent doing only phone calls or only errands, or anything like that.

There were a few things I couldn't force myself to do on the "due date"-- all of them related to paperwork surrounding my father's death. (He died in April of last year, and there are still a few things unrelated to the estate that I need to tie up. The sad thing is I've known about them for a year and when they're done I'll have about ten thousand dollars more than I do now but I haven't been able to make it happen.) I figured out pretty quickly that even though it was simple stuff like filling out a form or making a phone call, when it came to the estate, I'm still too emotional about Dad dying to consider those tasks to be "as difficult" as some of the other things that were on the list.

I moved things around so that there was one day (today) when the *only* things I had to do were estate-related. I figured this meant I would have time to walk away and be sad, time to call a friend and get my mind onto something else, etc. As it turned out, once I knew I could have more time than the task "needed" to do the task, I was able to get everything done really quickly. I feel unbelievably relieved right now; the only thing I have left to do is get a bank to put a stamp on a form, and the bank I need isn't open until Monday. It's on Monday's to-do list, and I feel really confident in my ability to Get It Done.

This is a long, rambling way of saying "yes, meds help."
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-08, 11:58 AM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 13,443 Times in 5,443 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. Adderall helped me with a lot of things, but getting started wasn't something that it really helped me with.

I heard something intriguing from an expert in the field who said that a lot of times that inability to get started is actually related to anxiety rather than primarily ADHD. I think in certain instances, that's true, and in others it's not. In my case, it certainly resonated (and may have explained why the stimulants, which can increase anxiety, made my procrastination worse).

Makes me wonder if an anti-anxiety med would help more . . but they screw up memory, so there is always a tradeoff.