ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 07-24-04, 02:08 PM
ADDvanced Member

addhil is on a distinguished road
Women with ADD and trying to organize time for hair, makeup, clothes, etc.

I was thinking just at this moment, while madly trying to dry my hair and remember to wash off the dipilatory cream at quarter to that men with ADD don't have to face this particular challenge that many women who want to "look good" do of taking care of their looks!! You have to schedule time to wash, dry, straighten hair, time to shave all the body parts that need shaving, all of this kind of thing, and men can just jump in the shower, if they have short hair they don't need to spend time drying (and I have really thick hair so this is a problem for me), and things like that. ARRGh. Anyways, I have to go get ready for my date, I'm going to be late and he won't understand, I'm sure, because it probably took him ten minutes max to get ready and it took me 3 hours!!!

But with ebola.

Old 07-24-04, 07:04 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Keppig has disabled reputation
Oh my gosh you described me getting ready for work!! About 4 years ago I was suggested to start looking more professional at my job, haircut, alittle makeup etc.
It takes me forever to get everything done and I always forget something: my watch, brushing my hair, my makeup etc. I tell my friends I need a personal assistant!
Old 07-24-04, 07:34 PM
ADDvanced Member

GOLDILOCKS is on a distinguished road
I'm w/you KEPPIG. I ALWAYS forget something too. I've always opted for low-maintenance, so usually it's just foundation & gloss. If I really fix up, I add mascara & shadow, pencil eyebrows, straighten hair (although, I get impatient messing w/that for it to be perfect). I walk away from the mirror & say, "Oh well..I'm not taking pictures today, so who cares!" Or, "If it's good enough for me, it's good enough for everybody else!" LOL..
Old 07-25-04, 12:56 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

jaimegerise has disabled reputation
I think I am a mix of all the above mentioned. I schedule different things, and try to keep my maintenance level at something doable...
For instance, I try to do all of my manicuring and toenail painting and shaving, etc. on Fridays...that way in the week I only have to shower and dry and dress.
I've also noticed that keeping my hair longer has helped me in a couple of ways....when I keep it short, I have to wash it more often because it looks dirtier faster and won't keep a decent shape. With it longer, I can actually go another day or more from washing it because it doesn't LOOK as dirty and it doesn't lose it's shape. If I am pressed for time, all I have to do is put it up in a clip or ponytail and problem solved....don't even need to use hairspray or anything like that anymore.
I've also learned that I don't need a FULL face of makeup to feel or look decent. Sometimes I can just get away with a bit of powder, mascara and lipgloss. I save the "works" for special occasions.

It's helped me to stop obcessing and learning the things I can do to still look decent for whatever I am doing...what I can get away with. For example, if I can fix my hair in a way that looks decent, dispite the fact that I haven't had a chance to wash it in a few days, then that works. No one has to know it's dirty! LOL I mean, not trying to sound gross, but if I did my full beauty routine everyday, I'd waste so much time that sometimes I don't have to begin with. OH, and here's a good trick I have learned. If my hair hasn't been washed in a couple of days and the ends still look ok but the roots look a little oily and I don't have time to do a full wash...I take a powder puff and dust my roots with powder! Not so much that you can see the powder, but enough to take away the sheen of the oil. IT works WONDERS.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-25-04, 03:40 PM
Contributor

MRB is on a distinguished road
Hey, ladies -

I think I was ranting about this in another thread somewhere in the forum. The guys TOTALLY don't get it.

I've gotten to the point where all I do for everyday is ponytail, wrap front of hair with scarf and finish with big bow in back (makes one appear more "polished", you know - blech - how is it that American industry has "evolved" to the point where how much makeup a woman wears is judged as part of her commitment to professionalism?- BLECH), pencil eyebrows, lipstick, and powder. To **** with the rest. If it's a big "do" (I work in politics and entertainment), I hire someone and try to get it written off if it's a work-related event.

Has anyone considered the permanent makeup? I have NEVER been a tattoo-like person, but with all this *&^%$ emphasis on looking polished polished polished just to KEEP your **** job, I'm seriously considering it.

Yes, I have some issues with this.
Old 07-25-04, 03:42 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

jaimegerise has disabled reputation
hmmmm don't think the permanent makeup thing is for me....but if I could ever afford it, I'd get electrolysis for all the icky little hairs I gotta pluck from my eyebrows and chin! ackorama
Old 07-25-04, 08:05 PM
ADDvanced Member

addhil is on a distinguished road
ahh I find the eyebrow hairs are the most time-consuming, but nothing beats the head hair. It's always foggy here too, so I end up having to try and keep enough time to straighten it again every morning. I try not to bother too much with makeup, I hate the way it feels on my face and I look bad in a lot of it... first I use an eyebrow pencil on my right eyebrow because unfortunately it's a lot shorter than the other one, then I just put a bit of Revlon Skin Lights stuff under my eyes and on my chin when I'm looking tired, other than that I just usually use a few dabs of concealer if I have a pimple or two, and when I go out at night I wear some silver eye shadow.

Make up isn't the hardest thing for me....it's the stupid hair!!! Hair on the legs (and I always end up having to leave the house with at least two bandaids on), hair under the pits, bikini line, and that annoying lip hair that takes 8 extra minutes to get off with a dipilatory. I spend more time trying to desperately clean up the blood from shaving my legs than I do shaving!! I'm thinking of investing in laser hair removal, it's not like the stuff keeps you all that warm anyways =p

But with ebola.

Old 07-26-04, 12:03 AM
Jr Member

Miztieped is on a distinguished road
[quote=addhil]I was thinking just at this moment, while madly trying to dry my hair and remember to wash off the dipilatory cream at quarter to that men with ADD don't have to face this particular challenge that many women who want to "look good" do of taking care of their looks!! You have to schedule time to wash, dry, straighten hair, time to shave all the body parts that need shaving, all of this kind of thing, and men can just jump in the shower,

WOw that me to a tee ... in fact i talked to my counselor about last week.... i stated that i am tired of walking out the door knowing that i look like i am only half way done with grooming process. unforuntley time was up .... when i brought it up
Old 07-26-04, 12:15 AM

GeminiChick is on a distinguished road
I hate knowing that I need to have at least an hour before I can leave the house...I have an unfounded fear of leaving the house with bed head and no makeup, though...I just can't do it and if I do, I spend the whole time making excuses about how I look and just generally feeling disgusting.

I have used the same exact routine each morning since high school...and basically the same products. 45 minutes for hair and 7 for makeup...it kills me that my dh can be in and out of the shower and ready to go in 10 minutes...then he rags on me for taking so long!

Julie