ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 05-10-10, 04:16 PM

liz1 will become famous soon enough
On Ritalin La & Ritalin short acting/Having Issues Dr not helping?

I had a recent diagnosis of adhd. I have been diagnosed by 2 different psychiatrists in 6 months. At first I was first I was diagnosed with GAD. I have always have anxiety. Then after talking wi the dr more I found out some family history he diagnosed me with adhd. He put me on Ritalin tablets(generic) 20 mg 3 x a day. At first the dose seemed kinda high. So I would only take 10 mg 3 x a day at first. After a while I would take 20 mg but not 3 x a day, I would take 20, 10 and 10. That seemed to be ok, but I never realized that it only lasts 4 hours or so, which explains my ups and downs throughout the day. So the new dr prescribed me Ritalin LA (Long acting) 20 mg 2 x a day I should have started it in the beginning of April, but due to issues wi the insurance company the prior auth was denied. I finally broke down & paid cash for it about 13 days ago. I was told that It would be covered it was just the way he filled out the form. I started the Ritalin LA 12 days ago & the pharmacist advised me to start out taking just one a day. She was a bit shocked that he wanted me to take 2 a day. She told me I may have a hard time sleeping. The first few days on the Ritalin LA were not good. The first 2 days I just took one pill in the am & I felt nothing. I could have went back to sleep, I was in a fog and super quiet. I had no motivation, I could not focus & I was just irritable. The 3d day I decided to call the pharmacy & ask exactly how this medication is supposed to be broken down in a persons body? Since I have 2 somewhat serious GI conditions I thought that maybe the other meds were affecting the absorption or something. I also told her what was going on & she told me to take the other pill. She said that the Ritalin LA does not last the same amount of time in each person. I did the 2 x a day for 1 day & still nothing. By then I was just getting very irritated. I had just spent $228 on a 1 month supply & it was not working. The next day I decided to take 10 mg of Ritalin tablets (short acting) a few hours after I took the Ritalin LA & that seemed to help. I do not like to have to resort to figuring out the proper dose myself but I felt like I had no choice. Now I saw my psychiatrist for a checkup a few days ago & he was in a hurry. I have been writing everything down. Times I take my meds & how I feel. So when I was telling him what was going on he was basically like well I think you need a booster so he prescribed 30mg Ritalin tablets 2 x a day to take in addition to the Ritalin LA. He also increased the dose of the Ritalin LA to 30mg 2 x a day. I do not feel like doing anything until about 3pm & then I am up very late at night. That does not work well since my children are toddlers. I can barely function all day.. I almost feel like I was better off without the meds. I am in the process of looking for a new dr. I just do not know what to do anymore?? I wonder if I am taking 2 much? Or what is going on. I was scared & terrified to start the Ritalin tablets when I was first diagnosed. The Ritalin tablets have helped me tremendously, but I still do have a lot of anxiety at times. I also get very irritable when the short acting Ritalin is wearing off. I feel more level and patient on the Long acting, but I feel at times just numb. And I have chest pain at times, but I am not sure if it is from the medication or the anxiety or both? Well if anyone has any advice for me it would be greatly appreciated. I have been trying to find some support online. Thanks!!
Old 05-10-10, 09:58 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,097 Times in 1,196 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future
Re: On Ritalin La & Ritalin short acting/Having Issues Dr not helping?

Oh wow..my eyes hurt trying reading this.

Please skip lines.

Like this. So we can read what you wrote.
A wall of text is too hard to read, especially for people with ADHD.

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, Agoraphobia, paranoia.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
The Following User Says Thank You to StoicNate For This Useful Post:
liz1 (05-10-10)
Old 05-10-10, 11:27 PM

liz1 will become famous soon enough
Re: On Ritalin La & Ritalin short acting/Having Issues Dr not helping?

Ok! Thanks, I did not want to make it longer than it already is. Sorry :-( I am new to

these forums or whatever...
Sponsored Links