ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 07-23-09, 12:05 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,792 Times in 1,934 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: "coming down" rebound effect of Ritalin?

SemiColon: I love your username! As you well know, fatigue is a symptom of auto-immune disease and, unfortunately, it can fluctuate on a daily, even hourly basis. Depression is also a partner to chronic illness. I'm intrigued that your doctor is that innovative about trying a stimulant to help you. I too have inflammatory arthritis. When my inflammation was at its worst, I could not stay awake for more than a couple of hours at a time in spite of regular doses of both Ritalin and Wellbutrin. I wouldn't wish this disease on my worst enemy. Would it help if we started a social group on ADDForums?

Phaedrus

Old 07-23-09, 12:25 PM

SemiColon will become famous soon enough

I think I'm on a mission to feel "normal" because, after 10 years of dealing with Crohn's, I'm not sure it's possible.

When I first started taking Ritalin (just a week ago), I thought my prayers were being answered because the fatigue went away...I could do great work, clean house, etc. I felt like a normal person not living with a chronic disease. Then, when I found out about (and experienced) the "rebound", then I became discouraged because it really zoned me out.

I'm now at an impasse because I know there is a very productive person inside me, but this auto-immune disease and medications are suppressing what I am capable of.

Does that make sense?

I appreciate your quick response to a thread that's been slow for a few months.

Oh yeah, I had a 1/4 of my colon removed in 2000...hence the user name.
The Following User Says Thank You to SemiColon For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (07-23-09)
Old 07-23-09, 11:14 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,792 Times in 1,934 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemiColon View Post

Oh yeah, I had a 1/4 of my colon removed in 2000...hence the user name.
Well, you definitely haven't lost your sense of humor.

Phaedrus

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-09, 04:04 AM
Contributor

selby will become famous soon enough

I've been searching forever for ways to deal with the rebound of stimulants. Seems like Zoloft has eliminated it. Of course I wouldn't recommend something so drastic, but the rebound I was experiencing was severe, like full-blown depression/irritability, it was unbearable. The fact that Zoloft helps whereas Wellbutrin didn't makes me wonder WHY it helps??
~ Dexedrine XR 30 mg. 2010~
Ritalin LA 40 mg, Zoloft 100 mg. 2009 ~ Wellbutrin SR 300 mg, Adderall 20 mg. 2008 ~ Dexedrine 40 mg.2006-2007 ~ Concerta 72 mg, Paxil 10 mg.
Old 08-07-09, 10:15 PM

crucialminutia is on a distinguished road
Arrow A Dosing Schedule That Minimizes Rebound For Me

I've taken four to five 10mg doses of Ritalin each day for more than 12 years, and even though YMMV, I thought I'd share a few very subjective, semi-scientific observations:

I usually feel sleepy between 10 to 35 minutes after 1) taking my first dose of the day, and after 2) taking any dose more than about 30 minutes late.

If I remember to space my doses about 3 hours apart early in the day, and about 3.5 hours apart later in the day, I almost always avoid rebound until late in the evening (which is an ideal time for me to go to sleep).

When I mess up the timing, and therefore experience an unplanned rebound, I usually just finish the day med-free, or every once in a while, I'll treat myself to one more dose at bedtime (to get to sleep more easily, and dream better).

And you probably won't believe it, but...

At almost exactly 37 minutes after taking a dose, IF I'm feeling sleepy, relaxed and undistracted, I often literally feel a chill up my spine as the Ritalin kicks in, which immediately and dramatically clears my mind.

Has anybody else had similar (or contrary) experiences?
Old 08-07-09, 11:08 PM

Thanked 34,233 Times in 15,486 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

crucialminutia, well, welcome, first of all

i make a plan and set timers every day to space out my doses if i know i'll need coverage for a full 12-16 hours. when i decide to take a 'half day' for whatever reason i don't *usually* have problems.

i only end up with it if i take all of my doses for the day and haven't eaten enough (sleeping at night isn't a problem for me, especially if i take all possible doses, so i know it isn't a result of sleep deprivation). if i skip lunch, though, and don't eat any snacks, it's a problem.

it might also be useful to note that for me, the 'rebound', takes the form of frustration because i become completely incapable of maintaining one train of thought for the amount of time required to formulate a sentence--a short sentence. and then i get pi**y about it...really pi**y...like, i need a nap and a diaper change asap before i start strangling.

my 'solution' is 1. a few tablespoons of ice cream (the one food i can eat *anytime*), 2. a cigarette (yes, i keep a couple of 'emergency cigarettes for this purpose and this step is also why i've avoided posting about this because *i know* how bad smoking is, etc, etc), 3. a shower (ideally very cold turning to very hot), 4. a meal, 5. going to sleep.

this 37 minute thing is something i don't think i've ever experienced! i'll have to watch for it how long have you been monitoring it? does it usually happen only once if those conditions are met, or every time that day?? i'm definitely going to try to pay attention--i can't believe i just typed that... well, i *am* going to try to remember to look out for it

in case dosage would make a difference, i'm allowed to take a up to 6 20 mg ir daily, but i usually take 3-5. that's been my prescription pretty consistently since 1993.

best,
The Following User Says Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
crucialminutia (08-08-09)
Old 08-08-09, 02:47 PM

crucialminutia is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: My "37 Minute Chill" (when 1st dose of Ritalin kicks in)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
this 37 minute thing is something i don't think i've ever experienced! i'll have to watch for it how long have you been monitoring it? does it usually happen only once if those conditions are met, or every time that day??...
Thanks for the welcome, peri!

I don't think I've ever noticed my "37 minute chill" except after a lapse in "coverage" (i.e., after the 1st dose of the day, or following a dose which was late enough to trigger a rebound -- conditions under which the dose almost always makes me sleepy). I've never noticed it on subsequent, properly timed doses.

I'll actually have to watch for it myself though, because it's probably been several years since the last time I noticed one --

I first noticed the chill during a time when I was pretty severely depressed, unmotivated, alone, and homebound -- not doing much (or even thinking very much) at all.

At that time, I probably had high blood sugars (from undiagnosed Type II Diabetes) and untreated high blood pressure, with no meds other than Ritalin.

I have Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA), so I tend to doze off when sleepy, and then sporadically wake up, gasping for breath -- especially between 10-35 minutes after my 1st dose of Ritalin.

But this "chill" thing isn't quite the same -- I haven't ever noticed a connection between gasping for breath and feeling the chill.

When I first noticed the chill, my Dr had asked me to log my reactions to Ritalin, so I was using the stopwatch function on my wristwatch to time my reactions to each dose. It must have happened 4-5 times in one week before I realized what was happening, and then began entering the chill into my log.

Over the next 2-3 years, I must have recorded hundreds of chills in that log, each one noticed only while sleepy, relaxed and undistracted, in a sitting position.

They'd start with a faint, cold sensation in the small of my back, and rapidly shoot up my spine, causing my shoulders to tighten, my head to shake gently, and sometimes inducing a brief tingly feeling inside my skull -- before dissipating rapidly. (The entire process probably takes less than 2 seconds.)

And every chill which I noticed was amazingly consistent and punctual -- it almost always arrived in the 37th minute following my first Ritalin dose of the day.

Last edited by crucialminutia; 08-08-09 at 02:52 PM.. Reason: clarify wording
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crucialminutia For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (08-09-09), kathybee (09-05-09)
Old 10-08-10, 11:38 AM

lunajune is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: "coming down" rebound effect of Ritalin?

I had this problem too.. I would recommend doing what andyum said and taking smaller and more doses. or try a different time release medication such as focalin.
I started scaring myself with ritalin. I started taking too much in my opinion because of the fear of crashing afterwards, I felt like an addict! I told my dr and he recommended a time release and I had done my own research talking to a friend who took focalin and looking it up online. I would recommend taking either a 5mg or 10 mg time release focalin.
For me it lasts longer throughout the day and once I am ready for bed there's no problems falling asleep. I also have not had any problems with crashing.
hope this helps!
Old 10-23-10, 09:25 AM

hereditary will become famous soon enough

Interesting reading peoples experiences here... though I am afraid to say I seem to be in the extreme minority when it comes to this medication

Whenever I would come down from ritalin... I would get an enormous surge of energy and motivation, would start sorting and organising, cleaning my possessions, polishing bits of glass, cleaning the kitchen floor by hand, you name it.

Sometimes, if the come down was really bad I would resort to walking around in circles in my living room, muttering to myself furiously like some kind of deranged drug addict lol. I might have even been scared were it not so clockwork and predictable. I'm not sure exactly what I talked about... I think it was mainly rehearsing future conversations, delving into interesting theories and concepts, improvising grand speeches about my life's experiences.

When this phase wore off, I got an intense desire to exercise and would normally sprint 2 miles as fast as I could, literally to the point of collapse... and then I would be ostensibly 'back to normal' and go about the rest of my evening in peace.

Interesting that is kind of behaviour is commonly seen in recreational stimulant users, but when they are peaking their high, not crashing. I did not at all find the crash to be unpleasant, often it was the most interesting and enjoyable part of my day, though the need to socially quarantine myself combined with the dawning realisation that what I was experiencing was essentially a temporary state of insanity eventually drove me to lower my dose to the point of ceasing medication all together.

I can certainly say I have no capacity to empathise with this all-too-common "walls crashing down" feeling - if it feels anything like waking up to an alarm clock then maybe I can guess though
The Following User Says Thank You to hereditary For This Useful Post:
Arwen (10-23-10)
Old 11-03-10, 05:18 PM

Jimdyer93 is on a distinguished road

Hello, i'm 17 and i just started taking Concerta slow release 36 mg about a month ago. its become a lot better but i still get some nasty rebounds at night occasionally. my problem is that i ONLY need the medicine for school- i really don't need it on the weekends. My doctor said i should try Ritalin 5MG tablets in the evening to reduce the rebound. i have heard they cause sleep loss and im not into that at all. My other question is, theoreticly, if i take a ritalin 5MG on a weekend just to get some homework done, how are the effects going to differ from my Concerta? could really use some help im kinda scared to try, will i rebound the same way?
Old 11-03-10, 07:58 PM
ADDvanced Member

Arwen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdyer93 View Post
Hello, i'm 17 and i just started taking Concerta slow release 36 mg about a month ago. its become a lot better but i still get some nasty rebounds at night occasionally. my problem is that i ONLY need the medicine for school- i really don't need it on the weekends. My doctor said i should try Ritalin 5MG tablets in the evening to reduce the rebound. i have heard they cause sleep loss and im not into that at all. My other question is, theoreticly, if i take a ritalin 5MG on a weekend just to get some homework done, how are the effects going to differ from my Concerta? could really use some help im kinda scared to try, will i rebound the same way?
Hi there,

First of all everyone gets different responses to the different medications, even the different types.

For example, I personally had problems with Ritalin... at the end of the day I would crash so bad I was so depressed I just wanted to shoot myself. My psychiatrist recommended that I take an extra Ritalin in the evening. I thought the same as you, "HUH! Won't I stay up all night? I gotta go to work the next morning!" But I was so desperate to not feel like shooting myself I took it. And you know what? I had the best sleep in my entire life (bar pre-operative drugs).

I did that for a while until I got sick of constantly popping pills throughout the day and switched to Concerta. It only lasts about 7-8 hours for me and my work day is 9-12 hours. I used to take meditation holidays on weekends and occasionally if I know I will need to be able to control my impulsivity and attention over the weekend I will take concerta or a ritalin depending on the time required.

I don't seem to get any rebound from taking just one Ritalin. But then everyone is different. So you might have to try because you can get many responses, but none of them will answer your personal situation.

Good luck!
Old 11-04-10, 12:15 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

String has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud of
Re: A Dosing Schedule That Minimizes Rebound For Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by crucialminutia View Post
I've taken four to five 10mg doses of Ritalin each day for more than 12 years, and even though YMMV, I thought I'd share a few very subjective, semi-scientific observations:

I usually feel sleepy between 10 to 35 minutes after 1) taking my first dose of the day, and after 2) taking any dose more than about 30 minutes late.

If I remember to space my doses about 3 hours apart early in the day, and about 3.5 hours apart later in the day, I almost always avoid rebound until late in the evening (which is an ideal time for me to go to sleep).

When I mess up the timing, and therefore experience an unplanned rebound, I usually just finish the day med-free, or every once in a while, I'll treat myself to one more dose at bedtime (to get to sleep more easily, and dream better).

And you probably won't believe it, but...

At almost exactly 37 minutes after taking a dose, IF I'm feeling sleepy, relaxed and undistracted, I often literally feel a chill up my spine as the Ritalin kicks in, which immediately and dramatically clears my mind.

Has anybody else had similar (or contrary) experiences?
This is actually very, very similar to my experience. I've been taking 4 to 5 doses of 10mg methylphenidate all this year (except for 3 months with concerta and a 10mg IR for evenings). When I take the medication every 3 to 3.5 hours, I don't experience a come down. The come down at night, however, can help me fall asleep. I sometimes feel a little chill when it kicks in (doesn't often clear my mind too quickly, but sometimes). I often feel a bit of a chill or tingle when it's wearing off, too.

For those who are having troubles, I'll share a bit of my own personal experiences that go along with crucialminutia's note:

I think the medication itself can even help me fall asleep at times. Without a late afternoon dose, like a 10mg dose around 5 or 6 pm, I can sometimes have medication related insomnia. I think what happens is that I have a come down early in the evening and then get wound up and irritable and have a harder time sleeping later in the evening. When I didn't have access to my medication one day, I didn't sleep a wink that night. I was tired and in bed and didn't sleep.

The other thing I would recommend is to be consistent. My Doctor drove me crazy at first titrating me up slowly with set times each day, but now I'm super grateful because it allowed me to understand the medication. We started with 5mg x 2 and added 5mg a day each week until I said stop. It allowed me to figure out schedules. Consistency and schedules are important, even if you're going for the smallest dose or smallest coverage possible. The one thing I did ask my doctor to change during the titration process was the frequency. He was having me take the medication every four hours. I asked him to change it to every three or 3.5 hours because I found that if I waited four hours, I would crash a little before the second dose and then the second dose felt weird.

If you aren't consistent with regular daily doses while testing the medication, how will you ever know if your insomnia, or headaches, or whatever won't just go away after a few days or a couple of weeks?

LAST THOUGHT: Changing doses and schedules and skipping days, or thinking it doesn't work after taking it two days, can sabotage what might be a good therapy for you.
Old 11-07-10, 08:37 PM

Scorpio1988 is on a distinguished road

Maybe you'll just get used to it,i did in only a week. though I do get abit of anxiety irritability. It's nothing really serious though, nowhere as noticable as the beginning of the week.