ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 07-23-08, 01:24 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Veighen will become famous soon enough
..Heartburn..acid...food.. esophagus and coughing??

I am on Ritalin IR, 15g 2x a day.

I usually only take 3 a day, in the morning, however, I keep suffering from acid in my throat and bouts of heart burn, it happens so often that I am starting to worry about it.

EVERY time after I eat, I cough.. and cough.. and cough.......Not like a .. "I just choked on water...." cough.. BUT, More like a.... " I need to clear my throat, scratchy feeling...."

I never had this problem before. I am an Ex-smoker. Quit over 6 yrs ago, but, was a heavy smoker. (actually discovered I had ADD AFTER I quit) Since I guess I was self medicating my entire life.... anyways....

Ideas?
Suggestions?

Thanks! and I'm back! It's been forever since I was last here!

Wow, I just read this and I even I got bored of it after the first sentence! lol

Last edited by Veighen; 07-23-08 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: I got bored of reading it
The Following User Says Thank You to Veighen For This Useful Post:
maddiemae (12-31-11)
Old 07-23-08, 01:32 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,276 Times in 975 Posts
Mary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to behold
Re: ..Heartburn..acid...food.. esophagus and coughing??

Have you discussed this cough and acid reflux/ heartburn, with your doctor?

Remember, we here at ADDForums can only do so much. It's up to us as individuals to make the right choices, to seek professional help outside the forums.
Old 07-23-08, 04:39 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Veighen will become famous soon enough

I havent been to my doctor yet. I plan on making an appointment, but it will be awhile before I can see him..

Was looking for any ideas about it?

If its normal.. happens to other...? etc..etc..
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-08, 04:46 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,276 Times in 975 Posts
Mary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to behold

well the cough may be a tic... but the acid reflux means a little something more is going on. Which is why I suggest getting in or at least calling to see what the doctor suggests.

Remember, we here at ADDForums can only do so much. It's up to us as individuals to make the right choices, to seek professional help outside the forums.
Old 12-31-11, 06:23 PM

maddiemae is an unknown quantity at this point

When the Adderall shortage began last summer I decided rather than calling around to every pharmacy looking for Adderall, why not just switch. My reasoning for the shortage would be forcing patients switch to the XR as it is well over five times the amount in cost. My doctor decided to have me try Ritalin. I decided to begin with one pill a day and gradually move into the full dosage of two pills @ 20mg ea. I immediately noticed, although not recognizing of course it was related to Ritalin, an excess in post nasal drip followed by increase cough and and throat clearing. As it was October when I switched it was probably attributed to weather, allergies, and use of heat lack of moisture etc., right? Very warm and damp fall? I've been through warm and damp falls before?
Changed the heater filter to max allergen, cleaned and began use my two ultrasonic humidifiers, and continued usage Zyrtec and Zyrtec D (certirizine), altered with mucinexD the next week when the Zyrtec and Zyrtec D provided no change. Then switched to 12 hour decongestant and still no change.
Approximately one to two weeks after beginning full dosage, I began feeling a slight cough/tic in the back of my throat in the area phlegm would gather however it was mild until.....November 14, 2011. One month to the day I began taking this crap I though I was coming down with the worse cold cough every! I began taking 12 hour cough medicine and anything I could get my hands on to get rid of and the cough seemed to subside within 48 hours although mucus, post nasal drip, and throat clearing continued then worsened.
I was constantly sucking on cough drops switching to find the best, something I've never had to do. My poor mother (87) who I drive everywhere could not stand being in the car and kept shoving new cough drops in my mouth. I feared going to church, and knew my mother was worried.
Two weeks ago I began symptoms of Asthma attacks although I have never had asthma in my life nor symptoms. Last week, after back tracking and searching online under mucus, excessive mucus, cough, and post nasal drip with no success, I realized this all started upon taking Ritalin. Might I add rumbling of mucus and wheezing when the tic began.
I called my doctor and psychiatrist (Ritalin) and being the week before Christmas of course no one in until after Jan 1, 2012. Was told if I felt it worsen go to the ER.
I ceased taking the Ritalin on Monday the 26, 2011 and immediately felt less mucus, post-nasal drip, and coughing during the day. At night I experienced a bit more the first night but nothing cough medicine could not contain.
Tuesday, December 27, 2011.....I thought I was going to die and nearly called an ambulance. My daughter was spending the night at a friends and had the car. Shortly after laying down for the night I felt the tickle/tic in my throat. It induced me to begin clearing, alternated with cough, sit-up hack/clear until I could not breath. Although I had experienced this before, out of breath and coughing, I attributed it again to allergies, seasonal, post-nasal drip. However, this time my throat was closing up and I was wheezing full-time.
As the mother of four children I'm familiar with the term croup as my son was famous for the croup cough with his colds. Steam and cold air right? After two hours and a chest full of Vicks I was able to lay down and sleep although I awoke to the excessive phlegm of course. I was good Wednesday and was thinking wow, I'm over the worst of it until last night.
I was cleaning all day with no problem at all. A small amount of post-nasal drip and clearing/cough but nothing bad at all. I do not use chemicals in my home and decided to vacuum, dust, and mop everything to eliminate any and all other possible causes of the previous attack. Home is 100% wood floors with no chemicals added as these floors are turn of the century. As well, I've never had an issue with my environment before.
After retiring to bed and a bit of television the tic began again. I was feeling a bit of heart burn but only slight earlier in the day. After stopping the Ritalin I noticed a dramatic reduction in heart burn as well by-the-way. Within 30 minutes I felt the need to cough up phlegm and could not. I felt a thickness again followed by the tic/tickle cough and everything escalated 100%. By the time I reached the hospital less than 5 minutes from my home I was having a full-blown asthma attack. The doctors and nurses did not believe that I was a non-smoker, and not an asthmatic as they could hear me wheezing and grasping to breath down the hall. I ask the doc to look up the info I had found online about the misdiagnosis between stimulants like Ritalin and "exercise induced asthma" in all ages of users. The docs, the respiratory therapist (15 years), and nurses came to listen to my symptoms as all were sure I was asthmatic? NOT!!!! Chest xray and lungs were completely clear. With the use of stethescope, wheezing/rumbling, swelling were in my throat, the location of the tic was in my throat, the mucus was in my throat, the wheezing coming from my throat, the cough was coming from my throat and all were induced by the Ritalin or the combination of Ritalin and GERD medications and now I have ASTHMA???????
I had by the way stopped using all medications and was feeling no ill effects until the two extreme attacks on the 27th and 30th of December 2011. Fact is, I also saw a study on those with/using GERD medications and the interaction with Ritalin so stopped this as well with an improvement in my GERD. Ritalin (stimulants) create additional acid, thus creating additional GERD and counter GERD medications, huh, is that so?
Sorry all, but I'm so angry that although hundreds have come to their physicians with these concerns all were newly diagnosed as exercise induced Asthmatic, Asthmatic, sinusitis, allergies, and even the common cold with a lasting cough. Especially it seems adults accepted the diagnosis of sinusitis or seasonal allergies as we are more prone to chronic sinus problems. Sadly, many who were able to figure out the interaction on their own were left with a permanent slight tic in the throat and most did not completely recover from most of the symptoms for nearly 6 months.
After a dos of dexamethasone 10 mg and breathing treatment with albuterol 5mg., lidocaine 3 ml I was discharged and told to call the docs on Tuesday.
I'm angry as HELL! What's worse is how many others are being misdiagnosed by the medical community? Moreover, I'm angry with the manufacturers of Adderall as I believe 100% the shortage is a ploy to have patients switch to the extremely high priced XR's out there.
PLEASE REQUEST further research and make those responsible take responsibility for this. My symptoms are in the 4% category today and are not listed by the maker or FDA. I'm sure that number would grow to #1 on the list if it were to be listed as a side effect as many would recognized upon reading and react when the symptoms appear. Who would think Ritalin could cause this many issues? It is by the way,only a SALT drying out one's sinus and throat causing the body to make excessive phlegm to lubricate and excessive acids either contributing or causing GERD. Stimulants also are known to cause tics as in eye twitching and a cough tic. Hmmmm?

MAKE THEM INVESTIGATE!!!!!!!!