ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 06-30-08, 10:19 AM

teremka has a spectacular aura aboutteremka has a spectacular aura about
Re: Do effects happen this fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinB View Post
Hi brand new poster. This is my second day and I am already feeling some sort of effect. Took about 3O minutes to start feeling an effect, and After about an hour it felt like some sort of switch went off in my mind...
I know this post is a year old, but this is my experience as well. I was looking on the forum to see if anyone had a similar reaction to me on Ritalin.

Today will be my third day on the drug. I started at 5mg in the morning and another 5mg in the afternoon. The second day, (yesterday), I took 10mg in the morning and nothing in the afternoon.

I felt it kick in about 30 min after taking it. The effect was subtle, but noticeable. I felt a little less overwhelmed, definitely calmer, (not as restless), and a little more able to focus on tasks. I felt less anxious about trying so hard to function. It was like I could just enjoy the moments without having to stress so much about keeping it all together.

I am not sure if it was from the Ritalin, but I had a bad headache both days, (I get headaches fairly often, so it could be unrelated)?

I didn't feel any withdrawal effects, but I did notice a subtle difference in my thinking once the med wore off. I realized, for example, once it wore off, that I completely forgot about a conversation I had with someone just an hour earlier.

I don't know if I would have forgotten had I been on Ritalin. I'm trying to get a feel for the way it's helping me.

"all the things that truly matter — beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace — arise from beyond the mind" - Eckhart Tolle
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to teremka For This Useful Post:
clarysage (03-02-18), Naela84 (11-13-13), reboxetine89 (08-08-17)
Old 06-30-08, 07:22 PM
Contributor

MissAdhd is a jewel in the roughMissAdhd is a jewel in the roughMissAdhd is a jewel in the rough
Re: Share your Ritalin Success Stories

ritalin has made my life a lot more focused.. i take 10mg, 4 times a day (40 total)
The Following User Says Thank You to MissAdhd For This Useful Post:
reboxetine89 (08-08-17)
Old 10-15-08, 08:18 PM

Terrah is on a distinguished road

I'd say its helped me since i started taking it regularly a few weeks ago. Im confused by most of it all though... I've heard of Ritalin (& other adhd meds) as putting people into zombie like states, I happened to catch that old south park episode on Tv the other night too and i was wondering: is this what its supposed to be like?
I dont feel like a zombie at all - I feel much sharper sometimes moreso than other times...it might have something to do with the orange juice i drink.
I cant easily explain how this works but the result is.
Before ritz - no work done, restless, irritated, bothered, frustrated
after ritz - lots of enthusiastic work done to a high standard
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-08, 12:45 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

chowmix is a glorious beacon of lightchowmix is a glorious beacon of lightchowmix is a glorious beacon of lightchowmix is a glorious beacon of lightchowmix is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up Re: Share your Ritalin Success Stories

I'm on Concerta 72MG 8am and it seems to work quite well. I had tried 54 and it wasn't quite enough. The concerta delivers the ritalin in a pretty nice dosage curve. I don't feel the sudden crash I did with ritalin. I'll see how this goes for a while. I don't feel alert into the evening hours without difficulty sleeping.

I tried ritalin IR for a month or so, ended up with 10mg 3x a day, and 5mg at about 4. Then I tried concerta 54 with supplemental 10MG IR as needed. I had constant up and downs, ritalin seems to pass right through me in about 2 hours.

Now I'm feeling alert, attentive and a bit more organized. My students and coworkers have commented that I'm more into things and I've been told I'm funnier (in a good way).

I do have to remember to drink LOTS of water and eat small meals during the day. (fruit, nuts, yogurt). I think some of my earlier problems with crashing were due to dehydration fatigue as I am taking a diuretic for high blood pressure.

Contact a doctor if you think you need help. Don't waste 30 years as I did.

DX at 51: GAD,OCD,ADHD mixed RX: Concerta. Ritalin / Propranolol as needed.
Old 10-25-08, 04:41 PM

shADDow is on a distinguished road

Ummm this is not a success story so much as questions -
Doctor started me at 10mg at 8Am and again at Noon...

I started the Ritalin yesterday AM - I felt fine until the beginning of hour 3 (11AM)- I was talking to two people I know and noticed that my speech seemed to flood out of me - and I felt like my mind was clear and focused but my speech was rapid -

I know that this has been true of me prior to using Ritalin - that I can talk very very rapidly at times - like the information is rushing out like a waterfall. This is usually when it is a topic that is both emotionally charged and content rich if that makes sense...People can usually follow me without a problem but notice I do talk fast. (It is because I am excited or ?) The thing is I noticed immediately that i wa doing this which shook me a bit - as usually someone else has had to point it out to me - I know that I calmed down immediately after I realized my behaviour...

On the second does I watched and noticed a much shorter period of time that I felt that sort of quickness - again about 3 hours in.

Then I calmed down again... I went to sleep actually earlier than I have been - I have been having some difficulty lately with falling asleep and waking up way early -

Now today - second day of dosing - I notice I am more responsive to my kids - not tuning them out as much but i also got really irritated at one point and yelled at them - again - not something that has not happened in the past but more aware in the moment of my behaviour.

Seeing these things make me nervous about upping does which I knwo Doc will want to do in a week - how do I know if what is happening is good or bad - when do I know to try something else?

I have no cravings or jonesing - a little bit of nausea and I did not need as much coffee as I usually have to have in the AM to feel like I am awake.
The Following User Says Thank You to shADDow For This Useful Post:
reboxetine89 (08-08-17)
Old 11-24-08, 06:44 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,016 Times in 671 Posts
pADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to all

ritalin works the best for me 20mgs x4
Old 01-09-09, 10:45 AM
ADDvanced Member

Destracted_UK will become famous soon enough

Mine seems to be working wonders. Built up over the last couple of months to 4x5mg. Quite a small dose but seems to be enough.

I tried Strattera and a ritalin generic before but couldn't tolerate the side effects.

For the first few weeks on ritalin I became a bit of a zombie. I am not sure if this was the actual medication slowing me down or the fact that I had a quiet brain for the first time in 25 years. I think it was the latter. Time to think. About one thing at a time. So incredible.

As the classic ADHD analogy goes, I had 15 TV channels in my head all the time, except when hyperfocused. This has gone down to one. I am slowly getting used to this fact and the resultant thinking I can now do.

It's still early days though. If I am still the same in 6months or a year then I will consider it a success. I am aware that it could stop being as effective but I am loving and appreciating every moment right now and yeh, its hard to explain what a change it's made in me. The fight to get here was so worth it.

It's not fixed everything, but with this peaceful brain I am in much better place to reflect then try and correct those things/behaviours/bad habits etc I have picked up over the years.

*fingers well and truely crossed*
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Destracted_UK For This Useful Post:
ChillMike04 (06-07-10), Naela84 (11-13-13)
Old 05-03-09, 12:52 PM

jonnyjboy is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Share your Ritalin Success Stories

OK I have just started taking Ritalin, and can I say how bloody amazing it has worked for me? It clears out my mind, and kind of makes everything fall into sence in a more organised fasion.

I am doing a Masters degree in European law, and I literally couldn't read more than a paragraph without being distracted by something, without my mind wondering off G-d knows where.

Now, I am taking pages and pages of good notes, learning, remembering, and it just is a huge confidence booster. Sorry for venting, but its all new to me and it has had such an amazing direct and positive effect.

Only down things I can think of is that it only lats about 3 hours before I have to take another one, and when it wears offy ou can realy feel it, you can feel yourself getting agitated again, fidgety, and your mind slowly starts to get distracted again. Also, I have a pretty huge apetite and the Ritalin has erased it completly. I take the 10mg 3 or 4 times a day... Would anyone advise me taking the 40 mg LA? The only worry I have is that I won't be able to adequatly control the Ritalin intakes. Any comments would be most helpful.

Anyways, it has really been a life changer for me, and I am really thankful

My only regret is not having known about it years ago. (blame France!!)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jonnyjboy For This Useful Post:
clarysage (03-02-18), dellafalls (09-24-11), mayza1 (09-21-12), Naela84 (11-13-13)
Old 05-15-09, 03:59 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

ADHDbuster will become famous soon enough

Hi I am 38 and just discovered that I have ADHD. The past few days have been very emotional ( i am not an very emotional person). I started going back for hours in to my chilhood and adulthood and remembered so many events that resulted in serious problems at school and work where I got recently fired twice to my utter shock and that made me look for answers. ADHD cost me so many years and opportunities that it is the single biggest thing that drove me to utter disaster. I talked to my doctor and asked for Ritalin, waiting for blood test results first. I take Lithium and Prozac in big doses but this is nothing new been going on them for many years. I am excited about Ritalin but I also read people saying it wears off etc... but others are extatic. I am a little freaked out because I am afraid my life of many times misery will come back to me and make me feel I lost so much after I wake up a new person. But there are worse things in life and I think my problem is as huge as anything can get but I have friend who are paralized or have tumors so I guess **** happens to the unlucky.

Looking forward to a nice life.
The Following User Says Thank You to ADHDbuster For This Useful Post:
miranda99 (11-22-11)
Old 10-27-09, 12:00 AM

Brikka is on a distinguished road

well... here's my story:

high school is a bad memory of me being hyperactive and misbehaving to an extreme, except that my grades were really good. i remember i used to sit in the back of the class with a bunch of guys and chewing skoal and spitting on the carpet (i'm a girl)...getting trashed on the weekends, skipping school to get high and go to the chinese food buffet. i even ran away from home one time and ended up in the hospital for a fun filled 72 hours, that i spent jumping on beds and playing dodge ball . didn't play the division 1 soccer that i could have b/c i felt like i was falling apart. first semester of college i was so depressed that i slept 16 hours a day. transferred to another school where i became really immersed in an eating disorder...ended up in the hospital for that, barely finished school b/c of going to treatment and unable to function...joined the military and got kicked out b/c of my purging and they told me i was bipolar. went home to my parents house where i laid in bed all day and got trashed by myself every single night, attempted suicide and ended up in the hospital and then sent to rehab for alcohol. diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. spent many more years laying in my bed depressed, occasionally keeping down jobs for some time...but quitting them b/c i knew i would not be able to keep them much longer, plus i impulsively wanted to go to Europe to escape myself. moved b/c of my husband's job, and i became suicidally depressed unable to cook myself ramen noodles and when i was trying to pack a box for us to move i would pick something up and move to put it in the box but fall to ground and start crying because it was too much and i didn't have enough energy. i felt even more depressed because i was almost unable to plan my suicide, i committed to five minutes of planning a day, it was going to happen i just wanted to wait until after my brother got married.

one person made a comment to me one day about seeming like i have adhd or ocd or both.

went to get an eval from a shrink...he doubted me big time, said that you couldn't graduate from college with a degree in foreign language...that people with untreated adhd don't finish high school...made a two page long list of every sign and symptom

he prescribes me ritalin.

guess what? i don't even suffer from depression! i'm not bipolar, and i don't have a personality disorder! i actually laugh a lot! i can function again, i got a job, and my job is going way better than before, my employer even tells me that i am doing a good job!... i think the dose may be too low, or maybe i need to try adderall...but ritalin has been amazing in that i have a life and a future...i am absolutely floored (and gee does it get on my nerves when people talk about how ADHD is overdiagnosed and people don't need medication for it)

thank you ritalin! YAY
creativegal (03-05-12), dellafalls (09-24-11), FroGpants (11-14-12), Petite (05-06-17), Valleyview (10-27-16)
Old 11-03-09, 05:20 PM

joebel will become famous soon enough

I must say that Ritalin has had an immensely positive effect on my life these past 2 years (diagnosed at age of 36).

Through it's calming effect on my mind it gives me this (relative to life without ritalin) immense space between stimulus and response, and therefor a much bigger choice in how to act and react in life. The effect on both career and private life is tremendous.

Especially at home: 2 young kids will give you enough practice in how to deal with multitasking, shifting focus and stimulus-overload.

It did take a while to establish the optimal dosage and frequency. But at 5 x 20 mg of Ritalin IR, I'm a very happy camper.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joebel For This Useful Post:
FroGpants (11-14-12), reboxetine89 (08-08-17)
Old 11-04-09, 05:36 AM

Venafib is on a distinguished road

I was diagnosed with ADD six months ago at the age of 29 and prescribed Ritalin 20mg controlled release capsules. That was incredible, as if someone had 'blocked the exhausted hamster's wheel' and I found myself enjoying the company of friends and family for more than 20 minutes at a time.
Up until that I had been on and off antidepressants believing depression was the cause of my lack of motivation and poor studying skills. I never prepared for class and the majority of my textbooks had never been opened.
A couple of days later while on the med I 'accidentally' looked into one of them - just out of curiosity and contrary to the half a dozen or so times I had previously attempted learning from reading a textbook I didn't lose interest, my mind didn't wander off and I didn't fall asleep within 20 minutes.
I'm still on Ritalin and it works, but optimal dosage remains work in progress however.
For me the side effects of Ritalin are negligible in comparison with the benefits. It hurts my appetite and I have headaches slightly more frequently than I used to.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Venafib For This Useful Post:
Petite (05-06-17), reboxetine89 (08-08-17)
Old 11-04-09, 06:47 AM

Thanked 1,133 Times in 625 Posts
CircularingCats has a spectacular aura aboutCircularingCats has a spectacular aura about

I take Concerta (36 mg.) in the morning, followed by Ritalin as needed per my schedule that day.

Usually I follow up the Concerta with either 20 mg., or 20 mg. then a final 20 mg. later in the day.

My focus, motivation, and follow through are much improved nowadays.

Old 11-04-09, 08:32 PM
ADDvanced Member

Stefan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pADDyjay View Post
ritalin works the best for me 20mgs x4
of slow release one?
Old 11-22-09, 09:38 PM

Thanked 2,675 Times in 1,112 Posts
Joker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm on 20 mg instant release Ritalin twice a day (I take it at 8 am and 2 pm). I went up from 10 mg twice a day a couple months ago. I'm thinking I need to possibly increase it to the 20 mg like I do now, and then an extra 10 mg or so at like 5 pm on days we have something going on where I need to not be a spaz. I plan to talk to someone about it in the next month or so.
It is like day and night the difference. I am still a little spazzy, a little disorganized, etc....but it is much, much better than it was before I took medicine. I am sooo much calmer, and it starts to work about a half an hour after I take it....I am able to stick with one thing instead of having 8 different things going and none of them getting finished. The only complaint I have is, it doesn't last very long. It works very well for about 2 1/2 - 3 hours, and then it fades away and I get crabby. Then I take the 2nd one, which helps for about the same amount of time.
I tried to play around with it and see if maybe I should take more, to see if it would last longer. So I took my 20 mg one and another half (10 mg more). No change. I tried 2 20 mg ones. No change. Didn't feel any different, and it wore off just as quickly.
So, I am now taking the 20 mg twice a day. It's not a miracle, but it helps. That's enough.

The Drifters Game:http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141997