ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 06-02-13, 02:11 PM
Jr Member

happycreature is on a distinguished road
Post Taking Adderall XR Before a Morning Exam

I've been on Adderall for XR for about two years now, currently 25mg daily, and it's worked wonders for me academically, but I've been having an issue with taking it before a morning test.

Normally my exams are in the late afternoon, so I've never had too much of a problem, but I'm taking a summer term where my exam starts at 7:15 in the morning.

With my last exam I woke up at around 6, took my medication as usual and had incredible test anxiety. Often found myself freezing and blanking out, like my mind was in fight or flight mode and it was already heading for the hills... Some of the mistakes I made were because I didn't know the material well enough, others were really dumb mistakes where I had no idea what I was thinking.

Being better prepared for the questions is an obvious solution, and one I've taken great steps to achieve this time around, but I'm still afraid of making stupid mistakes due to increased anxiety.

Adderall is a lifesaver for paying attention lectures and getting work done, but with these kind of exams (Organic Chemistry) it's extremely important that you don't miss any details in the question or the directions. Overthinking things also doesn't help.

I'm thinking about either setting my alarm for around 4, taking it and going back to sleep until 6, and then going to my exam, or just taking half of my usual dose, but I don't want to be experiencing any ADHD symptoms while I'm taking the exam either... Normally my "peak" hits around 90 - 120 minutes after I've taken it, and 8-10 hours later comes the crash.

My exam is tomorrow so it might be a little late to be asking, but have any of you experienced similar situations? What did you to do to fix it?
Old 06-02-13, 03:30 PM
ADDvanced Member

Vet Hopeful will become famous soon enough
Re: Taking Adderall XR Before a Morning Exam

I'd try setting your alarm andtaking it earlier. I'm not sure that the XR can be splt anyway.

I feel for you. taking ochem now. Test in the morning.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vet Hopeful For This Useful Post:
happycreature (06-02-13)
Old 06-02-13, 10:24 PM
Jr Member

happycreature is on a distinguished road
Re: Taking Adderall XR Before a Morning Exam

Good luck to both of us then!

And thanks, I think that's what I'll do... I don't think lowering the dose is a good idea, but I'll be sure to take it early enough so that I'm not peaking when the paper is in front of me.
Sponsored Links