ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 11-18-11, 05:48 PM

Tall__Paul is on a distinguished road
1st few weeks, looking for views/feedback

As a kid I was on Ritalin from age 5 to 10. My parents had me stop taking as I started to get night terrors. I went unmedicated till my current age of 29. I struggled in middle and high school. Did not finish college. As a kid I was truly Hyperactive and Inattentive. Now its just the innattentive side that impacts my life.

I finally went to my doc and had to see a psych. At 1st she tried Wellbutrin, partly because I wanted to quit smoking. It worked for that and helped my mood but otherwise was not happy with the results. I do still take 150mg XL as it helps with my mood and has taken away my desire to smoke.

I got a script for Ritalin, and was started at 5mg IR twice a day. She said I could adjust it up if I needed to while trying. The 5mg twice a day was to little. I tried 10mg twice a day 6 hours apart noon and 6pm, I work evenings. 10mg was better, I noticed some improvement, but it stopped working after about 3 hours and I felt down and tired for the 3 hour gap till the next dose. I then tried 5mg 4 times a day, Noon-3pm-6pm-9pm. I get done with work at 1am. This was more consitent but to low a dose. Also at the end of the day when I got home I felt like crap, the crash effect I have read about. I tried 20mg at noon and 20mg at 6pm on a day off. I saw the best results at that dose. Althought it wore off in about 4 hours and then again felt like crap, the crash. I also tried 10mg 3 times a day, 3pm-6pm-9pm as I only have so much Ritalin left before my next visist.

I think if I were to stick with Ritalin, My best dosing might be 10mg 4 times a day, Noon-3pm-6pm-9pm. The other option might be 20mg 3 times a day Noon-4pm-8pm.

I have seen good results with Ritalin, getting more done at work, cleaning my place up with a better attention to detail.

The problem I have is that I was on wellbutrin and still am, and wellbutrin made my mood much better, felt like I was smiling on the inside all day, and just a better outlook at work and life. Once I started the Ritalin, I have what might be called a slight zombie feel throughout the day and my mood is not bad but I just don't feel as happy as I did before Ritalin. Also I have no problem falling asleep but when i wake up I don't feel as rested, and have slept in a bit more since starting. It has been a little over 2 weeks of taking Ritalin.

My main questions are this, will the issues I have mentioned fade away some as I continue to take it, or is it just my body and minds reaction to this drug. My other thought is trying Adderall, probably 10mg 3 times a day with a noon-4pm-8pm since it seems to last longer and some people say its not so much of a crash when it wears off.

I am open to any and all suggestions and personal experiences to help with my situation. I am going to see my psych again in 4 days, so just hoping for some insight from here before I go

Thanks Paul
Old 11-18-11, 06:59 PM

jordanbamabelle will become famous soon enough
Re: 1st few weeks, looking for views/feedback

I was on Ritalin for over 20 years 20 mg SR. And then in 09 they changed me to Adderall because I was losing focus again. We thought that my body might have gotten used to it after so many years is why it didnt work. Good Luck! I do Adderall 30 mg twice daily now and the results have been good!