ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 11-07-09, 06:20 AM

Scheezo is on a distinguished road
10 mg once daily?

I'm 33 years old and haven't taken Ritalin since I was a kid. I feel like there are symptoms of my ADD that have become unmanageable in the past few years so I got a referral to see a psychiatrist in hopes of getting some help. After reading many posts on this forum I'm a little bit upset with my doctor who doesn't seem to understand my condition and in his office didn't seem to care about what I had to say. He gave me 10 mg of Ritalin once daily. I work in a pretty stressful environment (Television) and my attention is important. The Ritalin seems to only be effective for about 3 1/2 or 4 hour and my work day is much longer than that. Does anyone have any advice for me? How can I find a doctor that is more understanding of my condition?
Old 11-07-09, 06:32 AM

Thanked 34,233 Times in 15,486 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 10 mg once daily?

have you told him exactly what you've posted here? it's possible that he just doesn't know much about prescribing stimulants and needs to know more about your experience. if he isn't amenable to helping you get to a more reasonable level/length of management, then find a new person asap.

how to find someone...?? i think that varies a lot given your circumstances. i have a healthcare plan that includes 20-30 psychiatrists and was initially placed with my current person based on my previous psychiatrists' contributions to my medical record. it just worked out well. they looked at my history and placed me with the person specializing in my situation.

if you don't have a list of folks to research/call/whatever, perhaps check out the threads on good doctors in your state. i have no idea where that is, but i *do* know those threads on on the forums somewhere--maybe do a search?

best of luck!
Old 11-07-09, 09:28 AM

Scheezo is on a distinguished road
Re: 10 mg once daily?

I've tried to talk to the doctor about quite a few things but he doesn't listen. Thanks for the advice! I'll search around.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scheezo For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (11-07-09)
Sponsored Links