ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Recipes
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Recipes Easy recipes for the ADDer & ADD Family

Old 04-20-16, 04:20 PM
Contributor

Bouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to all
Re: how does ADD affect your cooking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Lerious View Post
I've noticed that my constant search for new stimulation makes me love to experiment, with herb combinations on meat, chicken, beef, pork etc. Also, I love food with lots of taste and variety in taste.
I seek out new flavors, ethnic cuisines and highly rated restaurants (usually through Yelp). It's hard to know where my passion for food ends and my food addiction begins (I have a problem with overeating and I'm overweight)!

Right now, I'm into Puerto Rican cuisine (I'm half Puerto Rican), and I've been sticking with that for a while. I tend to drift from cuisine to cuisine (two weeks Persian, three weeks Italian), but I've been really exploring Puerto Rican food. It's so complex and expansive, it could take me years to get through all of the recipes! I already have my favorites (Arroz con Pollo, Tostones, Pernil, Habichuelas Guisadas, Bistec Encebellao), but there's so much more than just the "popular" foods!

I initially learn off the "official" recipes, but now I'm branching into tweaking them to my individual taste.

I find my ADHD actually helps in the kitchen, as constantly switch my attention between different tasks (having to cook a side dish and main dish at the same time while prepping for time efficiency). But it can also be a detriment when I'm impulsive and fail to pay attention to detail (like putting cumin in a pumpkin pie!!!).
The Following User Says Thank You to Bouncingoffwall For This Useful Post:
Stevuke79 (04-20-16)
Old 04-20-16, 04:32 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,078 Times in 2,781 Posts
Stevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond repute

I find that ADHD causes my hardboiled eggs to explode.

This planet is now property of the Sontaran Empire. Surrender your women and intellectuals. -Commander Strax
Old 04-20-16, 06:16 PM
Contributor

Bouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevuke79 View Post
I find that ADHD causes my hardboiled eggs to explode.
On the plus side, you have instant egg salad. You just have to scrape it off the ceiling
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bouncingoffwall For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (10-03-17), Stevuke79 (04-20-16)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-16, 07:50 PM

Thanked 6,078 Times in 2,781 Posts
Stevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond repute

It takes an adhd mind for such insight

This planet is now property of the Sontaran Empire. Surrender your women and intellectuals. -Commander Strax
Old 10-02-17, 01:52 PM
ADDvanced Member

KitCat is a name known to allKitCat is a name known to allKitCat is a name known to allKitCat is a name known to allKitCat is a name known to allKitCat is a name known to all

Actually, I think it PREVENTS me from cooking. Following the directions, all the ingredients, all the measuring, keeping up with all the details overwhelms me. I think deep down I do like to cook, especially the part where I get to eat the yummy food. It's just all that it entails from start to finish, my brain goes into overload! Heck, come to think of it, even ordering at a restaurant can overwhelm me - all those choices! LOL
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KitCat For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (10-02-17), stef (10-02-17)
Old 10-02-17, 02:39 PM

Thanked 19,667 Times in 10,487 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitCat View Post
Actually, I think it PREVENTS me from cooking. Following the directions, all the ingredients, all the measuring, keeping up with all the details overwhelms me. I think deep down I do like to cook, especially the part where I get to eat the yummy food. It's just all that it entails from start to finish, my brain goes into overload! Heck, come to think of it, even ordering at a restaurant can overwhelm me - all those choices! LOL
haha, have you ever noticed that whatever anyone else ordered always looks better than yours?

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-02-17), KitCat (10-03-17), stef (10-02-17)
Old 10-03-17, 10:15 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Thanked 1,043 Times in 462 Posts
WhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitCat View Post
I have that problem, too! I love to bake things from scratch, but looking up the recipes, buying the right ingredients, getting everything ready and then the cleanup, ugh!

The other day, I went to make meatloaf and instead of putting the meat in a bowl to mix with all the ingredients and put in the loaf pan, I put it in the skillet on the stovetop and started cooking it! Then I went, "What am I doing?!" and took it out. My mind was in lala land. I swear, I can't think and do things at the same time.I also can't talk with someone while I do things or I forget what I'm doing, and that includes cooking.

I often underestimate the time it takes to cook something and we end up eating dinner late. I usually don't decide what we're having for dinner, until right before I start making it. My kids will ask what we're having for dinner and I'm like "How should I know? That's two hrs away! I haven't even thought that far ahead yet!"
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhiteOwl For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-03-17), KitCat (10-03-17), stef (10-03-17)
Old 10-03-17, 12:43 PM
ADDvanced Member

KitCat is a name known to allKitCat is a name known to allKitCat is a name known to allKitCat is a name known to allKitCat is a name known to allKitCat is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
haha, have you ever noticed that whatever anyone else ordered always looks better than yours?
Yes! Never fails!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KitCat For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-03-17), Little Missy (10-03-17), stef (10-03-17)
Old 10-03-17, 12:49 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOwl View Post
I have that problem, too! I love to bake things from scratch, but looking up the recipes, buying the right ingredients, getting everything ready and then the cleanup, ugh!

The other day, I went to make meatloaf and instead of putting the meat in a bowl to mix with all the ingredients and put in the loaf pan, I put it in the skillet on the stovetop and started cooking it! Then I went, "What am I doing?!" and took it out. My mind was in lala land. I swear, I can't think and do things at the same time.I also can't talk with someone while I do things or I forget what I'm doing, and that includes cooking.

I often underestimate the time it takes to cook something and we end up eating dinner late. I usually don't decide what we're having for dinner, until right before I start making it. My kids will ask what we're having for dinner and I'm like "How should I know? That's two hrs away! I haven't even thought that far ahead yet!"
You sound just like me! I become frustrated with myself for being so indecisive and/or forgetful. I've ruined many a recipe by leaving out an ingredient, misreading the directions, or even leaving an ingredient completely out. Drives me crazy! As a result, there are many times I'm like "why bother"...let's just order pizza!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KitCat For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-03-17), stef (10-03-17), WhiteOwl (10-03-17)
Old 10-03-17, 03:58 PM

Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm tired of it all.

I just want food served or delivered to me.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-03-17), KitCat (10-04-17)
Old 10-03-17, 04:13 PM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,221 Times in 12,818 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

my mom actually had a planned weekly menu
I tried to do this for 20 years or so...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-03-17), KitCat (10-04-17), Little Missy (10-03-17), WhiteOwl (10-03-17)
Old 10-03-17, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef View Post
my mom actually had a planned weekly menu
I tried to do this for 20 years or so...
what???!!!

My mum's planned menu was daddy would do it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-03-17), stef (10-03-17), WhiteOwl (10-03-17)
Old 10-03-17, 05:23 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Thanked 1,043 Times in 462 Posts
WhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud of

I plan meals for the week, I just don't assign them to certain days. Whenever I try to do that, I end up changing my mind a bunch of times, so it seems useless. It's hard for me to cook something if I'm not in the mood for it that day (is that weird?).

If I had more money or less kids, we would probably eat out more. I do get some quick and easy things for days when I'm not up for real cooking.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhiteOwl For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-03-17), KitCat (10-04-17), stef (10-03-17)