ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 04-29-10, 11:35 AM

irishgrl is on a distinguished road
Unhappy HELP!!! Concerta is working. What do I do? Is this normal?

I'm on day #4 of taking 18 mg of Concerta. I felt much better on days 1-3, but today I'm experiencing some of my old problems....lack of concentration, lack of focus, inability to communicate, etc. I even tried drinking coffee to help me perk up more and it's not helping. I'm ready to curl up into a ball and take a nap. Plus my raging appetite is back.

Is it possible that my body is used to the dosage already? This is just weird. I was really optimistic about this treatment and now I'm feeling like I'm back to where I was prior to taking the meds.

Is this normal?

I don't want to sound like a problem patient or an inpatient patient, but is it too soon to call the doctor about changing the dosage or pill?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to irishgrl For This Useful Post:
Addr68 (04-29-10), ilovemusic (07-08-11), jucafelix (04-30-10), ned_va (05-24-10), Spence's Mom (04-29-10)
Old 04-29-10, 11:38 AM
ADDvanced Member

Spence's Mom has a spectacular aura aboutSpence's Mom has a spectacular aura about
Re: HELP!!! Concerta is working. What do I do? Is this normal?

I am no help but I am looking forward to reading the responses that you get...good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Spence's Mom For This Useful Post:
Addr68 (04-29-10)
Old 04-29-10, 01:47 PM
ADDvanced Member

lomipo is just really nicelomipo is just really nicelomipo is just really nicelomipo is just really nice

18 mg is a rather low dosage. Call your doctor, of course, right away. He/she is likely to adjust the dosage (probably will tell you to take a double dosage). Obviously I'm not familiar with your circumstances, but it seems quite routine. And yes, after the first "euphoria" there is often softening of the experience. The question is whether the benefits (that is, attention - not lack of appetite) remain.
I started with concerta 18mg , went up directly to 36mg and up, and then changed to another med. And four months after am still experimenting - that's not unheard of.
The Following User Says Thank You to lomipo For This Useful Post:
irishgrl (04-29-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-10, 01:54 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,158 Posts
Addr68 has much to be proud ofAddr68 has much to be proud ofAddr68 has much to be proud ofAddr68 has much to be proud ofAddr68 has much to be proud ofAddr68 has much to be proud ofAddr68 has much to be proud ofAddr68 has much to be proud of

Good question OP!

I have no experience with Concerta..
When I was on another stim..
I went through something simular as you are experiencing..

My prescribing doc was the right call

I wish you the best!

Bry
"We all have such a Ring: it forms the foundations of our Dark Tower, namely the Ego, the false self. Our Quest, like Frodo's and Sam's, is to renounce the Ring and be rid of the hold it has over us...."
Tolkien
The Following User Says Thank You to Addr68 For This Useful Post:
irishgrl (04-29-10)
Old 04-29-10, 03:01 PM

I'm still waiting to hear back from my doc. The pass few days have been amazing. I forgot what it was like to think clearly. I actually was able to read articles in the newspaper from start to finish. Now I'm having problems typing this. UGH!

The upside....at least now I know there's hope-just need to tweak the meds. lol.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to irishgrl For This Useful Post:
Addr68 (04-29-10), Spence's Mom (04-29-10)
Old 04-29-10, 03:26 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Sit-n-Spin has a spectacular aura aboutSit-n-Spin has a spectacular aura about

Keep updating. I am going to start it as soon as my insurance approves it. Probably this weekend or next week.
Old 04-30-10, 08:01 AM

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

it's tough to say... Don't chase the rush, the euphoria wears down and it willl help you focus. Also, you may need to increase your dose that is a really low dose , even when you dose concerta at 54mg its still relatively low because it's like 10mg over 10-12 hours so you can't really look at the pill mg amount thinking its too high , you must remember its time released. Starting out I would ask for ir tablets to find your dose. I think alot of people do find or will find not that ritalin is less effective than adderall but moreso that it does wear off in the body faster and does not build like adderall does cumulatively in the system once ingested. So , regarding that fact, adderall will likely give longer coverage at higher dosing than ritalin, so remember if you end up going on a higher dose of ritalin you still would have to dose more frequently than adderall.
The Following User Says Thank You to hollywood For This Useful Post:
irishgrl (05-02-10)
Old 05-02-10, 03:41 PM

UPDATE:
I've been crashing for the past couple of days. Lost my concentration and focus. Appetite is back and have been napping during the day. UGH. I've been drinking coffee and diet coke---nothing is helping. All I want to do is sleep.

I FEEL LIKE A ZOMBIE!!!

Will things get better?

I want to call my doc on Monday to see if I should increase dosage or continue to suffer a bit longer.
Old 05-02-10, 05:03 PM

Thanked 2,598 Times in 1,220 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

First of all, chill man. This is gonna be a long journey. There will be ups and downs. There is no quix fix. I repeat: there is no quick fix.

Even with the best med, you are gonna have off days, bad days, days your brain just won't work. One thing the meds helped with with is to see that other things were affecting my mood other than my meds. Are you eating well? Eating regularly? Are you exercising? Getting enough sleep?

None of these meds work if you are sleep deprived. I repeat: almost none of these meds work if you are sleep deprived or not eating well.

Call the doc. Just record your reactions. A journal for each day would be good.
Old 05-20-10, 08:43 AM
ADDvanced Member

ned_va has a spectacular aura aboutned_va has a spectacular aura about

Hi! I just found this thread...
Any updates Irishgrl?

I'm on concerta too(not working), I was wondering if the effect should be instant or if it kicks in after a while? Taking 54mg with an 18mg booster.

Old 06-02-10, 09:57 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Werl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to behold

I could see the difference in me within hours of taking it. I was only 11 when I started.

A teenage male from central Alberta, diagnosed with ADHD, borderline Aspergers, and a non verbal learning disorder.