ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Bipolar > AD/HD and Bipolar in Adults
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-07, 12:06 PM

ridiculoushuman is on a distinguished road
Question A little guidance please.....

Ok, I just joined the site and this is my first time post. I'm kind of lost here so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have been diagnosed by a few different doctors as Bi-polar II and ADHD. I'm a 25yr old male and will usually go out to a bar or two over the weekend and typically I will get intoxicated. I have done a few drugs in the past which includes abusing opiates. Luckily I never got to the point where I would ingest more then one or two pills and I kinda just grew out of it. So my question is could I be getting poor treatment because of my honesty with my doctors? I mean I have been prescribed Focalin 30mgs before and make my doctors aware of this also. So if I wanted to abuse medication I easily could have just kept going to that doctor, however it gave me anxiety and didn't help much so I discarded the medication. I also have never even experimented with any kind of upper before in my past and have no desire to, for fear of anxiety. I have been taking provigil for at least 6 months and it does nothing for me yet my doctor insists I continue taking it. She pretty much doesn't even listen to me and I stess how bad my adhd is. I suggested Straterra at one point, assuming she didn't trust me with anything else, and I never felt worse in my life and couldn't even get past the 4th day on the medication.

My adhd is impacting my life daily, in work, school, my relationship, I forget things and lose things. What should I do? I mean if medication isn't the answer that's fine but provigil isn't doing anything. Is it possible I'm not getting effective treatment because of my past substance abuse? And if so what should I do about it?

Please help. Sorry for the long post.
Old 12-19-07, 04:17 PM
can't remember diddly

Thanked 6,057 Times in 3,094 Posts
EYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A little guidance please.....

Post away, that's what we're here for, and warm welcome to you.

Quote:
will usually go out to a bar or two over the weekend and typically I will get intoxicated
I think this is a problem. My first psychiatrist told me that while a small glass of wine once in a while is fine, regular drinking/intoxication is going to make the symptoms of bipolar worse. My first thought is that getting intoxicated on a regular basis will interfere with your meds. Perhaps stop the weekend drinking and try your meds alone. There will likely be a difference in how they effect you.
Old 12-19-07, 05:11 PM
Forum Guru

meriellyn has a spectacular aura aboutmeriellyn has a spectacular aura about

It is certainly possible that doctors will be reluctant to prescribe controlled substances to a substance abuser.

I have used recreational substances in the past and still drink somewhat regularly (but not like I used to, in frequency or quantity) and I'm honest about my drinking and the fact that I smoked a decent amount of pot in the past but since I've never had a problem with addiction or stimulant abuse, I don't see my past experimentations to be of much relevance to my current treatment.

It is best to be honest with your doctors. It is most important... well, absolutely necessary, to be very honest about any substances you use *currently*, especially. But if you no longer use any recreational drugs and are honest about your drinking, I wouldn't necessarily rehash the whole past to every doc. (JUST my opinion. NOT suggesting anyone lie to their doctors.)

What meds are you on currently for your BP and such? When on psych meds it is best not to drink to excess. Especially since many BP meds affect your liver.
And you really don't wanna drink with stimulants. In the past I was known to have a few during the week but now I restrict my alcohol to weekends when I don't take my Dexedrine.

If you're serious about your recovery, it would be best to learn to drink in moderation. Less frequently and less at a time. Getting tore down drunk is just not good when you're trying to deal with mental health issues already. Often your symptoms will be exaggerated even more after a night of binge drinking.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-07, 03:46 PM

Crazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEFORGOT
Post away, that's what we're here for, and warm welcome to you.

I think this is a problem. My first psychiatrist told me that while a small glass of wine once in a while is fine, regular drinking/intoxication is going to make the symptoms of bipolar worse. My first thought is that getting intoxicated on a regular basis will interfere with your meds. Perhaps stop the weekend drinking and try your meds alone. There will likely be a difference in how they effect you.
What Chel said. Welcome to Co-Ex BP and the ADDF Cycling Team, Ridiculoushuman. Post on!

I have to agree with her doc, it's the same thing mine told me. I KNOW I cannot drink more than a few glasses of wine a year {no joke} without throwing my meds off and becoming very hypomanic.
Old 01-09-08, 06:00 PM

ridiculoushuman is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone for the responses. I forgot my password and wasn't able to log back in for awhile, I apologize for the delay. I agree that drinking is not necessarily the best idea while on meds, however I did cut the drinking out completely last year for a few months, 3 or 4, and I can honestly say there wasn't much of a difference in regards to the attention issues. It did help my anxiety though. Oh, and the meds I currently take are Lamictal 200mgs, Provigil 200mgs, and Wellbutrin 300mgs. Thanks again.