ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 07-22-17, 11:09 PM

Rapunzel16 is on a distinguished road
Re: ADHD and Play

My son is 6 and free play is the way he decompresses. He loves to play with toy figures (animals, characters, anything) or build with legos. Outdoor free play at a playground works too, sometimes better. It's the open-endedness that just helps him relax and calm his mind, when so many other things require him to focus on predetermined activities it's good to just let go. At least that's my impression. It's something he really needs time for each day.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rapunzel16 For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:48 AM
Contributor

Caco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
I am not anti medication.

I think supervised free play is the first line treatment for AD(H)D, years before medication is an option.

Do you think supervised free play was your son's first line of treatment?

Do you think recess being the first class and gym being the last class would have been a good plan, before your son was old enough to start taking medication?

m
Due to wide variety of circumstances my son wasn't diagnosed until the middle of 8th grade. Therefore, he wasn't on medication prior to that time.

I think once he hit 5th grade his ADHD came out front and center. It didn't matter how much he ran, played baseball, played basketball, played soccer...none of it changed the fact that he couldn't understand what the teacher was talking about because he spaced out for more than half the class. When they evaluated him in 8th grade the estimated that for a 45 minute class he was mentally present for about 20 minutes of it.

Perhaps your theory of free-play being the first line of defense prior to medication would have been effective for the hyperactive aspects of ADHD but my son is on the more inattentive side. Nothing helped him until the medicine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Location: Floating around on a melting iceberg, north North America Canada
mildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caco3girl View Post
I can agree with that. My son is not a couch potato. He needs to be up and active, be it playing or running or working out. Sitting still is not his thing. Also, when we discuss majors, college, and future careers; his ADHD leanings of not being inside, and being active are a main focus. While he is brilliant at math, the idea of him being an accountant at a desk all day is out of the question. Sitting still is counter to who he is.

I am not against medication.

Medication is not the only treatment for ADHD.

I was diagnosed with ADD.

Exercise/free play helped me tremendously as well, before being diagnosed at age 35 and started taking medication..

Supervised free play is a way to help treat ADHD years before any child is old enough to take medication.

M
"In the history of the human race, those periods which later appeared as great have been the periods when the men and the women belonging to them had transcended the differences that divided them and had recognized in their membership in the human race a common bond" -Haile Selassie I
Sponsored Links
Old Yesterday, 03:20 PM
Contributor

Caco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

Exercise/free play helped me tremendously as well, before being diagnosed at age 35 and started taking medication..

Supervised free play is a way to help treat ADHD years before any child is old enough to take medication.

M
I have no idea what you mean about a child being old enough to take medicine. I also have no faith in free play helping my kid be mentally present in class. Perhaps there are varying degrees of ADHD, if so, my son is on the faaaaaaaaaar deep end.

He is off his meds right now, it's summer and i want him to eat and gain weight. A family member hadn't seen him in 5 years, he spoke with him on Thursday night and then again on Friday morning. He flat out said "Wow, yesterday I just thought you were stoned, but this is just you isn't it?"....yup....that's my kid! He gets so lost in his own head and can't focus on the conversation that he appears stoned.
The Following User Says Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:32 PM

mildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond repute

I am sorry.

I thought you were saying earlier that your son needed play.

M
"In the history of the human race, those periods which later appeared as great have been the periods when the men and the women belonging to them had transcended the differences that divided them and had recognized in their membership in the human race a common bond" -Haile Selassie I
Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM

After an hour or two of supervised free play, almost everyday, I had little problem getting his attention after supervised free play.

When my step son was young he would never tell me when he had a runny nose if he was also feeling really sick, if he had a stomach cramps/flu, if there was something wrong at school, but I could sometimes tell something was up by watching him play, or playing with him.

I learned that he would tell me things walking to and from the park, if I kept my mouth shut.

Still works today when we go for walks, if I keep my mouth shut.

M

Last edited by mildadhd; Yesterday at 05:07 PM..
Old Today, 10:28 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,104 Times in 12,639 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

No, supervised play is not a treatment for adhd. Its good for adhd kids but its good for ALL kids, even those not being treated for adhd. Meds arent the only option either.

Quote:

M

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old Today, 10:30 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,104 Times in 12,639 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

M
When you say old enough what do you mean?

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old Today, 04:49 PM

Yes, supervised free play is a treatment for AD(H)D.

I am primarily focusing on supervised free play during first few years of life, during the critical period of implicit regulation, before the age of 4-7*, in regards to possible prevention, treatment/lessening impact, before medication is a treatment option.

I am secondarily focusing on supervised free play after the age of 4-7*, during the critical period of explicit regulation in regards to part of longer term treatment/lessening impact.

*give or take a few years

Quote:
Play: Free play, in which children develop their own activities, including rough-and-tumble activities that, as the term play implies, involves physical activity such as running, jumping, play fighting, and wrestling, are increasingly recognized as essential components of a child’s development. Both human and animal studies have provided evidence that periods of play improve social skills, impulse inhibition and attention (Panksepp, 2007; Pellis et al., 2010) and result in specific neurochemical and dendritic changes in many neurons (Bell et al., 2010; Panksepp, 2008), especially in those brain areas in which ADHD children are deficient. Therefore, long-term provision of more opportunities for physical play may be an effective, non-medicinal therapy for reducing some of the disruptive behaviors of ADHD and facilitating brain development in children diagnosed with ADHD..

http://www.scholarpedia.org/article/ADHD_and_Play

M

Last edited by mildadhd; Today at 05:14 PM..