ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Wellbutrin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Wellbutrin (bupropion hcl)

Old 09-16-19, 06:14 AM

Clavius78 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation HELP: Wellbutrin causing pain?

I started Wellbutrin 300XR back in January this year. Quickly after that I developed a ringing in my ears/head. I was able to ignore the ringing so I continued. In July I developed a back ache. All the muscles in my back aching. Then the muscles in my forearms followed. After that my upper arms. Back then I didn't make the connection to the Wellbutrin yet.

I had to quit Wellbutrin at the beginning of September because the ringing suddenly got much worse. It made me go insane. After eight months of use I developed tinnitus. Besides that, the pain in my joints and muscles because unbearable and I felt really weak. Besides that, I didn't seem to have any positive effect from the drug. So me and my psychiatrist decided to stop it.

The ringing has subsided! I'm very happy about that. Because I read (and panicked) that it doesn't go away for some people that got it from Wellbutrin.

Now I'm still waiting for the muscle weakness and joint pain to go away. Does anybody have any good news for me? What's the timeline? Can I do anything to speed it up?

I asked this question to my GP, but he's clueless and gave me some general story about over-training. When I assured him that over-training was not the case he almost implied that it's my own fault for trying this kind of drugs! And my psychiatrist is unsure about the Wellbutrin causing all my muscles to ache. Google seems to confirm my experience though.
Old 09-16-19, 08:35 AM
ADDvanced Member

benito is on a distinguished road
Re: HELP: Wellbutrin causing pain?

yes, wellbutrin can cause pain, back pain , trapeziums, shoulders... I advise you to choose another antidepressant with your psychiatrist and go to a physical therapist to remove your muscle contractures.

I recommend some dual antidepressant like pristiq or cymbalta. I think you'll do better. They do not cause pain (they can remove it) and are weight neutral. Have you tried stimulants like methylphenidate or amphetamine??
Old 09-16-19, 09:50 AM

Clavius78 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by benito View Post
yes, wellbutrin can cause pain, back pain , trapeziums, shoulders... I advise you to choose another antidepressant with your psychiatrist and go to a physical therapist to remove your muscle contractures.

I recommend some dual antidepressant like pristiq or cymbalta. I think you'll do better. They do not cause pain (they can remove it) and are weight neutral. Have you tried stimulants like methylphenidate or amphetamine??
Thanks for you confirmation. Any sources? I was unable to find anything besides a few user reviews stating it.

I wasn't allowed any stimulant medicine yet when I was put on Wellbutrin. Back then I didn't have an official ADHD-PI diagnose yet. They offered me Wellbutrin for my focus/concentration/motivation problems. If I had a depression they were caused by those three. But it didn't do anything for that. Now that I have that official diagnose I will get to trial concerta in the next few weeks.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-19, 11:31 AM
ADDvanced Member

benito is on a distinguished road

I have no sources. I rely on my experience. When I took bupropion (wellbutrin), I had many contractures, back pain, headache, the pain was intense, sometimes disabling. Greetings.
Old 09-16-19, 12:31 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,912 Times in 12,558 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

My go-to source is drugs dot com. They report it's common to have tinnitus.
This is what they say about muscular/skeletal:

Quote:
Musculoskeletal
Common (1% to 10%): Arthralgia, arthritis, myalgia, neck pain, pain in extremity, twitch/twitching

Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Leg cramps

Postmarketing reports: Muscle rigidity, muscle weakness, musculoskeletal chest pain, rhabdomyolysis
Talk to your doctor. You may be okay on a smaller dose, or you may need to
switch to a different med.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
benito (09-16-19)