ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 07-16-17, 07:53 PM
Contributor

wonderboy has a spectacular aura aboutwonderboy has a spectacular aura about
Warning- Avoid Mallinckrodt

Avoid Mallinckrodt manufactured Adderall IR

I have tried just about every generic, and I can say, wholeheartedly, avoid this manufacturer!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wonderboy For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (07-16-17), Little Missy (07-16-17)
Old 07-16-17, 08:39 PM

MyAchillesheel is a glorious beacon of lightMyAchillesheel is a glorious beacon of lightMyAchillesheel is a glorious beacon of lightMyAchillesheel is a glorious beacon of lightMyAchillesheel is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Warning- Avoid Mallinckrodt

Wonderboy,

Why do you say that?

How did that form of generic adderall affect you?
Old 07-16-17, 11:38 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 15,301 Times in 7,372 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

I also dislike Mallinckrodt. It was the fist generic adderall I ever took so I didn't realize how bad it was. I tried for about a year to find the right dose and reduce so many side effects. It was strong and so were the side effects.

I later switched to Dextroamphetamine because of it. That was so much smoother and had few to no negative side effects. Just didn't find too many noteworthy benefits after a year and many different doses. I switched back to Addeall about a year ago and luckily I received Teva. brand. What a difference!

They have worked so much better without all the negative side effects. They feel like a totally different medication than the Mallinckrodt to me.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-17, 08:27 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,508 Times in 11,538 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

I always liked Teva the best and hated Sandoz. I called it Madderall.

But it seems Teva is out of favour with the druggist here and he always gets me Sandoz because of the Corepharma dryness, but now I hear no more Corepharma after I already heard no more Sandoz but now it is Sandoz is available and it just seems like generic names run around.

oh, I've never had Mallinckrodt though.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 07-17-17, 11:54 AM

30mg5x is on a distinguished road

I have to agree with OP. For me Corapharma is the only generic that works. A couple of months ago I had to go to a new pharmacy due to the location of a new job and I was given the Mallincrap generic and I had the worst month of my life. I lost all motivation & focus and actually started to feel extremely depressed. I've been on Adderall for going on 18 years now and haven't felt depression like that since before starting Addreall. Finally out of desperation I took a sick day just to travel to get my script filled at my old pharmacy. Unlike the new pharmacy that refused to order me CoraPharma my old pharmacy had no issues ordering it for me and on top of that had a driver drop off my filled CoraPharma prescription to the pharmacy that refused to order the Corapharma for me (both pharmacies are the same chain).

I've heard around this site that Corapharma stopped making its generic Adderall IR but as of July 13,2017 my pharmacist was still able to place an order for 150 30mg Corapharma Generic IR pills.
Old 07-17-17, 01:02 PM

Thanked 14,557 Times in 6,500 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

’tis a shame, because Mallinckrodt Dex CR is good stuff.

Cheers,
Ian
Old 07-17-17, 04:22 PM
Contributor

Thumbs up Re: Warning- Avoid Mallinckrodt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAchillesheel View Post
Wonderboy,

Why do you say that?

How did that form of generic adderall affect you?

Absolutely no efficacy
Old 07-19-17, 04:57 AM
Contributor

Did Corepharma Stop Production Of Adderall IR

[QUOTE).

I've heard around this site that Corapharma stopped making its generic Adderall IR but as of July 13,2017 my pharmacist was still able to place an order for 150 30mg Corapharma Generic IR pills.[/quote]

Is this correct? Did Corepharma Stop Production Of Adderall IR
Old 07-19-17, 05:34 AM

Thanked 21,508 Times in 11,538 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Did Corepharma Stop Production Of Adderall IR

I'll ask my druggist when I get my refill Saturday.

Three or four months ago he did say Sandoz was done with IR.

After my month of Corepharma he said Sandoz was back.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 10-05-18, 08:57 PM

msrathe802 is on a distinguished road

Before I lose anyone due to my lengthy personal experience explanation, I highly recommend that anyone who is experiencing (or has in the past) any efficacy or side effect issues with this pill, report mallinckrodt's generic adderall to the FDA.
You can report efficacy and side effect issues here:
https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scrip...reporting.home

Ok, back to my story. I have been taking generic adderall for almost 10 years, the last 1.5 yrs has been mallinckrodt. Simply put, it's really bad. It's more effective at causing side effects than symptom control. I felt like maybe it wasn't as effective when I started taking it but things were going good for me at the time so i didn't notice major efficacy issues right away, and i assumed, as others did, that it should be the same as other generics, as such, I did not attribute the side effects I started experiencing (anxiety, hopelessness, malaise, almost daily nausea, headaches and fatigue) to mallinckrodt's generic.

Unfortunately, even though i had a feeling it maybe wasn't as effective from the begining, i also continued taking it because I couldn't afford the generics at other pharmacies, and I did not know that my doctor could specify generics without cost change. Pertinent backstory, I have comorbid dysthymia which is a long term, low grade depression and my symtoms from it were far worse before I started taking adderall. Remember that was 10 years ago so it wasn't the first thing i thought of when about 3 months after i started taking mallinckrodt's generic adderall i started having severe anxiety and depression symtoms.

In response, my doctor started me on zoloft, from then on I mistakenly assumed all the negative side effects i was having were coming from that (even switched to prozac about 5 months ago in an attempt to curb the side effects, which it didn't). I also had started having tardiness and focus issues at work. I incorrectly attributed these issues to, the development of struggles with anxiety/depression, and, working six days a week with 2 of those days being 10-12 hours shifts. My employer's were rather lenient for quite awhile but I eventually got a final written warning from one of my jobs.

I felt like was trying my best everyday to remedy my issues but it wasnt good enough, so i had no idea what to do differently. I essentially had a complete breakdown and ended up on psychiatric medical leave, during which I've had various medication changes, which helped, but not completely. Fast forward to about a month ago, I saw a few posts like this about efficacy issues with this manufacturer and mentioned it to my dr, she specified my next rx to NOT be filled with mallinckrodt's generic so costco switched me to sandoz. Since the change I've felt like when I first started taking adderall, i immediately started started feeling so much better, more in control and focused again. With the switch and the prozac my anxiety/depression has finally completely dissipated. And no more daily nausea!

In summation, mallinckrodt's crap pill really effed up my life for over a year, including basically costing me one of my jobs. I would love to pursue a lawsuit against them but due to the nature of the situation, I feel like I probably don't have enough hard evidence, if anyone starts a class action, please let me know. At the least, i really hope the fda runs tests on this pill in the near future.

Fun fact: mallinckrodt has been found, by the FDA, to manufacture an inferior generic of Concerta (long-acting ritalin) just Google "mallinckrodt concerta equivalency" or check out this article:
Quote:
Originally Posted by State News
F ile this under “Not so fast!”

Two drug makers — Mallinckrodt and Lannett — are fighting the US Food and Drug Administration over a plan the agency announced last week to withdraw their generic versions of the Concerta pill for attention deficit disorder. Mallinckrodt is trying to contest the move in court, while Lannett plans to seek a hearing in hopes of convincing the agency to change its mind.

The agency took this step after determining the generic drugs were not equivalent to the brand-name pill, an issue that actually arose two years ago and prompted the FDA to downgrade regulatory ratings for the copycat drugs. This was an unusual move and meant that the generic versions, which contain the same active ingredient as Concerta, could no longer be automatically substituted at pharmacy counters.

In health care, it’s time to get a second opinion on what ‘value’ stands for
A University of Utah Health survey revealed that doctors, patients and employers who pay for health plans have different interpretations of what “value” in health care means.

UNIVERSITY OF UTAH HEALTH
The FDA adopted this position after reviewing adverse event reports, data previously submitted by the drug makers, and running laboratory tests. At the time, the agency concluded that, in some people, the two generic versions may be absorbed in the body at a slower rate and, therefore, may not yield the desired effect.

This shifted the onus to the drug makers to provide additional data.

Mallinckrodt, however, never did so, as the FDA pointed out in a Federal Register notice last week. Instead, the drug maker two years ago filed a lawsuit challenging the right of the FDA to downgrade its regulatory rating. The lawsuit was dismissed earlier this year, but the company filed an appeal this past summer, and a flurry of motions was submitted over the past few days.

Related: FDA again delays rule to allow generic drug makers to change labels
In one motion, the FDA argued that the Mallinckrodt challenge is now moot, since the agency continued to evaluate its generic version of Concerta and determined that the pill should be withdrawn. For its part, the drug maker countered that its “challenge to the bioequivalence guidance is very much alive” and, therefore, the case should continue.

In its initial lawsuit, Mallinckrodt had argued that the FDA failed to provide sufficient notice of its decision and violated its constitutional rights. Moreover, the company noted that the FDA acknowledged there were no safety issues and patients should continue taking the generics if they are not experiencing problems.

[UPDATE: A Mallinckrodt spokeswoman later wrote us to say that the drug maker is “actively gathering additional information and data to submit to the FDA to support our request for a hearing on the matter. The time frame for submitting all of this information is mid-December.” She also reiterated that the FDA has not conveyed any safety concerns.]

Meanwhile, Kremers Urban Pharmaceuticals, which was sold to Lannett last June, submitted more data to the agency. It would appear, though, that the additional information did not persuade FDA officials to change their minds, since the agency last week issued its notice indicating it would pursue a product withdrawal. Now, Lannett plans to seek a hearing with the FDA.

“We intend to review the scientific rationale for FDA’s most recent position and compile the scientific evidence to convince FDA’s Office of Generic Products that our product should continue to be marketed,” said Arthur Bedrosian, the Lannett chief executive, in a statement. “This will preserve patient and prescriber choice, and maintain an affordable alternative drug on the market.”

The FDA downgrading narrowed the market. Besides Concerta, which is sold by Johnson & Johnson, the only option available is a so-called authorized generic, which is now marketed by Impax Laboratories and can be substituted for the brand-name pill. Impax recently purchased the rights to market the generic version.

Meanwhile, Mallinckrodt reported that sales of its generic version have been declining. For the nine months ended June 30, sales fell 29 percent to $80 million from about $112 million during the same period a year earlier.
Mallinckrodt not only refused to, reformulate and provide additional info showing efficacy, or, pull the drug from the market. Subsequently, the FDA labeled it as not equivalent, so, at least it can't be switched for brand name or other generics without express patient approval (which is clearly not the case with their generic adderall). What's more, mallinckrodt sued the FDA, stating that the label of non equivalency caused a severe drop in sales, essentially causing a forced pull of the drug from the market. The case got dismissed but the drug company has already filed an appeal.

Last edited by Greyhound1; 10-06-18 at 07:20 PM.. Reason: Added paragraphs for easier reading and replaced commercial link with quote.
Old 10-06-18, 01:09 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrathe802 View Post
In summation, mallinckrodt's crap pill really effed up my life for over a year, including basically costing me one of my jobs. I would love to pursue a lawsuit against them but due to the nature of the situation, I feel like I probably don't have enough hard evidence, if anyone starts a class action, please let me know. At the least, i really hope the fda runs tests on this pill in the near future.
Sorry to hear that. I wonder what could have caused that? Do you think there was too little/much active ingredient, or perhaps there was an inactive ingredient that your body didn't tolerate well?

Quote:
Fun fact: mallinckrodt has been found, by the FDA, to manufacture an inferior generic of Concerta (long-acting ritalin) just Google "mallinckrodt concerta equivalency" or check out this article:
Not to nitpick, but I think it's important to point out that Concerta is an extended release medication. Generics often use different mechanisms to provide extended release, and every individual absorbs at a different rate. The generic Concerta wasn't necessarily "inferior" - it just didn't release its active ingredient at the same rate as brand name Concerta (based on averages of human subjects).

Immediate release Adderall simply dissolves within seconds, so it'd be more difficult for a generic company to mess it up (though maybe they somehow still manage to do so!).
Old 10-06-18, 01:40 AM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 15,372 Times in 7,648 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

You know...of all the generics I've taken...Mallinckrodt has worked the best for me personally.

I was really worried about it the first time I got this manufacture because I read a lot of bad things about this brand...

But heck no! It works very well for me.

It just goes to show that meds really can/do effect everyone differently.

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

Old 10-06-18, 06:17 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,571 Times in 15,082 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ok, back to my story. I have been taking generic adderall for almost 10 years, the last 1.5 yrs has been mallinckrodt. Simply put, it's really bad. It's more effective at causing side effects than symptom control. I felt like maybe it wasn't as effective when I started taking it but things were going good for me at the time so i didn't notice major efficacy issues right away, and i assumed, as others did, that it should be the same as other generics, as such, I did not attribute the side effects I started experiencing (anxiety, hopelessness, malaise, almost daily nausea, headaches and fatigue) to mallinckrodt's generic. Unfortunately, even though i had a feeling it maybe wasn't as effective from the begining, i also continued taking it because I couldn't afford the generics at other pharmacies, and I did not know that my doctor could specify generics without cost change.
I am not doubting your issues but how do you know they specifically came from this manufacturer? What other mental health issues do you have?

Quote:
Pertinent backstory, I have comorbid dysthymia which is a long term, low grade depression and my symtoms from it were far worse before I started taking adderall. Remember that was 10 years ago so it wasn't the first thing i thought of when about 3 months after i started taking mallinckrodt's generic adderall i started having severe anxiety and depression symtoms. In response, my doctor started me on zoloft, from then on I mistakenly assumed all the negative side effects i was having were coming from that (even switched to prozac about 5 months ago in an attempt to curb the side effects, which it didn't). I also had started having tardiness and focus issues at work. I incorrectly attributed these issues to, the development of struggles with anxiety/depression, and, working six days a week with 2 of those days being 10-12 h0ours shifts. My employer's were rather lenient for quite awhile but I eventually got a final written warning from one of my jobs. I felt like was trying my best everyday to remedy my issues but it wasnt good enough, so i had no idea what to do differently. I essentially had a complete breakdown and ended up on psychiatric medical leave, during which I've had various medication changes, which helped, but not completely.
I wonder if any of your issues had to do with the depression? Its very hard to tell the difference between depression, med changes etc. Is it possible that you were not treating the depression as efficiently as you could and it happened to line up with the period of time that involved this brand of adderall?
Quote:
Fast forward to about a month ago, I saw a few posts like this about efficacy issues with this manufacturer and mentioned it to my dr, she specified my next rx to NOT be filled with mallinckrodt's generic so costco switched me to sandoz. Since the change I've felt like when I first started taking adderall, i immediately started started feeling so much better, more in control and focused again. With the switch and the prozac my anxiety/depression has finally completely dissipated. And no more daily nausea! In summation, mallinckrodt's crap pill really effed up my life for over a year, including basically costing me one of my jobs. I would love to pursue a lawsuit against them but due to the nature of the situation, I feel like I probably don't have enough hard evidence, if anyone starts a class action, please let me know. At the least, i really hope the fda runs tests on this pill in the near future.
Believe me I have heard about efficacy issues with all brands of adderall including this one. Usually those are in reference to the med not working, not lasting as long, giving you heart palpitations or headaches. I guess its hard for me to think that it would cause the kind of mental health issues you mention because you already have issues with it and are treated for it. How do you know its this med and not your body that is the issue? I know for me, when my bipolar wasnt treated right I thought all kinds of things were the issue but once I got stable on my meds and was able to feel what normal felt like, I realized is was alot of untreated bipolar that was causing me the problems and I felt so much better when they go those meds right. I guess if you did not already struggle with depression or another mental health issue I might be more inclined to agree with you that it was this brand of adderall, but with the history you provided I am thinking it could have more to do with the mental health piece not being treated right instead of it being a result of a bad batch of adderall or a bad manufacturer.

I carried a watermelon?