ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Dexedrine/Dextrostat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dexedrine/Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine)

Old 10-09-08, 03:39 PM

DenverMatt is an unknown quantity at this point
Mallinckrodt Dex?

I was able to get Mallinckrodt Dex in Denver, CO almost anywhere without even ordering it. But here in this little s**t-town of York, PA where I now reside all the pharmacies so far (I have called Walgreens, CVS, The Medicine Shoppe, Walmart, Sams and Rite Aid) can only get Barr Dex from their supplier. So far all of those pharmacies have told me that they all use the same supplier.

I have been forced to deal with Barr Dex and it is such an inferior product that if I cannot find Mallinckrodt Dex, then I will be forced to switch back to Adderall. Barr Dex is about 30% less effective (i.e. much worse) than Mallinckrodt Dex where Adderall is only about 20% less effect than Mallinckrodt Dex.

Is there anyone in the South Central PA or Baltimore, MD area that can obtain Mallinckrodt Dex from their local pharmacy? If so what pharmacy do you go to? I am down in Baltimore every 2 - 3 weeks to visit and hang out with friends, so it is no problem for to get my script filled while I am there.

Any help is appreciated.

DenverMatt
Old 10-09-08, 04:10 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

D.B. Cooper has a spectacular aura aboutD.B. Cooper has a spectacular aura about
Re: Mallinckrodt Dex?

GSK name brand is malinkrodt although someone said GSK has totally stopped selling it.

Barr also makes the generic adderal so its not all that different.
Old 10-10-08, 09:48 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Ruby85 has a spectacular aura aboutRuby85 has a spectacular aura about

I live in Baltimore and I got Ethex Dex (haha) from Rite Aid in Hampden. I've never used any other kind so I can't compare, but I've heard it's better than Barr but not quite as good as Mall. Why is it so hard to get brand name Dexedrine/Dextrostat or Mall Dex anyway? Do most pharmacies have a policy against stocking them or something?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-08, 11:08 AM
Contributor

watts will become famous soon enough

To find out what companies are distributing a certain medication- in the present, google "little orange book" and proceed to the food and drug admin. site (FDA). Type in dextroamphetamine and all current pharm. manufactures of the drug are shown.

Moderators-- this fda "orange book" should be a sticky. To get the exact web address for the fda/orange book go to my very first post - i don't have enough time to do it now.
Old 10-11-08, 11:42 AM
Contributor

mystery has a spectacular aura aboutmystery has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.B. Cooper View Post
GSK name brand is malinkrodt although someone said GSK has totally stopped selling it.

Barr also makes the generic adderal so its not all that different.
I don't see any tablets for GSK (listed as SMITHKLINE BEECHAM) here:
Electronic Orange Book
click on Search by Active Ingredient, then type dextroamphetamine.

The only three that come up for GSK are listed as: "CAPSULE, EXTENDED RELEASE; ORAL."
The Following User Says Thank You to mystery For This Useful Post:
meadd823 (10-12-08)
Old 10-12-08, 09:04 AM
Contributor

watts will become famous soon enough

Mystery- thanks for making this link available.

Fact- there is no Brand name Dexedrine IR (only Brand spansule). Mallincrot is still available in generic for both IR and Spansule.

This orange book really needs to be a sticky in the general medication area. Questions about generics and brands are asked daily and by going to this valuable site the answers are easy to find. Thanks
Old 10-12-08, 09:25 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,415 Times in 6,122 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This orange book really needs to be a sticky in the general medication area. Questions about generics and brands are asked daily and by going to this valuable site the answers are easy to find. Thanks
consider it done

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 10-13-08, 01:08 AM

I think you are getting confused about my situatiion. I already know "roughly" how many companies make dex and I knpow EXACTLY what type of Dex I want. The orange book isn't going to tell me who supplies what brands to what suppliers in given geographiocal locations.

The question I am asking is, does anyone in my area get Mallinckrodt Dex off the shelf or by request from their pharmacy to order it from their supplier? Barr brand off the shelf or special order is all 12 different pharmacioes here in godd ol' York could do.

There is only one major supplier providing medications to over 95% of the area's pharmacies. Small towns = no selection. I deal with it for the time being (I will only be here for another 6 - 8 months), but it will just take a little bit of legwork why I am going to have to get my Mallinckrodt Dex in Baltimore next time and the times thereafter when I go down to hang out friends.

That is good overall point though watts about the sticky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watts View Post
Mystery- thanks for making this link available.

Fact- there is no Brand name Dexedrine IR (only Brand spansule). Mallincrot is still available in generic for both IR and Spansule.

Old 10-13-08, 03:16 PM

bailee33 will become famous soon enough

Hey DenverMatt: I live in Fort Collins and I am on my first week of barr dex and I'm having to take 60mg to feel any effect and my Dr. has been off for a few days and who knows when he'll return. My question to you: I was wondering where you got the Mallinckrodt dex? and what dose works for you? and what the difference was that you felt between the two?? It seems that I really must be my OWN Advocate and tell my Dr. what I need. Thanks
Old 10-13-08, 04:22 PM
Forum Guru

meriellyn has a spectacular aura aboutmeriellyn has a spectacular aura about

If anyone knows where to find Mall Dex IR in Southeastern SC, I'd love to know. I can't find anything but Barr around here either.
Old 10-13-08, 10:51 PM

I LOVE Ft. Collins! I LOVE Denver even more! Anyway... I'm living in the Baltimore area now and this locale is a s h i t hole! Can't wait to get back to Denver or any major city way out west. Anyway.....

I always had Cosctco at Park Meadows Mall off of C-470 and I-25 order mine. I also once got Mall Dex at a King Soopers. Mall Dex is much better.

Are you a native of Ft. Collins? Do you get down Denver often? PM me if you'd like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailee33 View Post
Hey DenverMatt: I live in Fort Collins and I am on my first week of barr dex and I'm having to take 60mg to feel any effect and my Dr. has been off for a few days and who knows when he'll return. My question to you: I was wondering where you got the Mallinckrodt dex? and what dose works for you? and what the difference was that you felt between the two?? It seems that I really must be my OWN Advocate and tell my Dr. what I need. Thanks
Old 10-14-08, 12:18 AM

Hey DenverMatt. I'm actually from Oregon but have been living here about 7 years, just graduated nursing school and trying to study for my boards- but I can't concentrate nor focus! Do you have a doctor in Denver that you see to get your script? Who is it? My doctor will only give me dex barr 10mg, won't let me try anything else, it sucks. I would drive to Denver to see a Dr. if I have to, though I don't have health insurance
Thanks,
Oh, what are you doing over there?
Old 10-14-08, 02:12 PM

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46002

Dr. Schneider. He was great to work with in every aspect. He is a very kind, caring and knowledgable man. Call him if you need to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailee33 View Post
Hey DenverMatt. I'm actually from Oregon but
have been living here about 7 years, just graduated nursing school and trying to study for my boards- but I can't concentrate nor focus! Do you have a doctor in Denver that you see to get your script? Who is it? My doctor will only give me dex barr 10mg, won't let me try anything else, it sucks. I would drive to Denver to see a Dr. if I have to, though I don't have health insurance
Thanks,
Oh, what are you doing over there?
Old 10-14-08, 02:23 PM

Thank you!!