ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 11-11-09, 01:50 PM

savagehenry is on a distinguished road
Why is Corepharma generic Adderall different from other generics

I filled my Rx at Walgreens and got the pink 30mg Corepharma D-amphetamine salt combo tablets. Usually i get the orange Barr generic amphetamine salt combo tablets. I have noticed some strange differences. First of all the taste both the Barr tablets and the name brand Adderall have a sickningly sweet taste (like a horrible artificial sweetener), but the Corepharma tabs have a taste that is bitter and resembles that of methamphetamine (don't ask me how i know what that tastes like). In addition the onset of the Corepharma tabs seems to be more immediate, and more intense. The duration of the effect also seems shorter than that of the barr tabs. I have also noticed an increase in the negative side effects (shakieness, and increased heart rate). can anyone tell me why?
Old 11-11-09, 01:51 PM

savagehenry is on a distinguished road
Re: Why is Corepharma generic Adderall different from other generics

My theory is that this difference may be do to a higher proportion of the sulfate salts in the Corepharma tablets. Idealy 30mg D-amphetamine salt combo tablets should contain 7.5mg of dextroamphetamine sulfate, 7.5mg of dextroamphetamine saccarate , 7.5mg of amphetamine aspartate, and 7.5mg of amphetamine sulfate. Perhaps the aspartate, and saccarate salts (which one would think would taste sweet) are present in a lower quantity while the sulfate salts are present in a greater quantity in the Corepharma tabs.
Old 11-11-09, 02:09 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CptNemo is just really niceCptNemo is just really niceCptNemo is just really niceCptNemo is just really nice

I'm not sure anyone has found an answer on *why* they are different,but it is widely accepted that there is a difference.Use the 'search' feature.
Tons of info.
As far as the sweetness difference,I couldn't say.
I've never chewed them,I just take them with water.
Old 11-12-09, 02:39 AM

SilentCat will become famous soon enough
Adderall's Sweet Taste? It's SUGAR...

Saccharic acid (also called glucaric acid) is derived by oxidizing a sugar such as glucose with nitric acid. The salts of saccharic acid are called saccharates.

Aspartic acid is an a-amino acid. The carboxylate anion of aspartic acid is called aspartate.

The idea that those particular salts would automatically "taste sweet", and that their relative proportions in Adderall (brand name, or Teva/Barr generic) would account for the sweetness of the tablet, is based on faulty reasoning.

That hypothesis is based not on chemistry, but on mental associations with two popular, similarly-named artificial sweeteners: aspartame and saccharin. (Saccharin, in fact, is actually benzoic sulfinide.)

The actual explanation for Adderall's sweet taste is really very simple, and not at all mysterious.

Read the manufacturer's published drug monograph. You'll find the following, included in the list of inactive ingredients:

"sugar spheres"

There's nothing arcane here. The tablets are purposely made to taste like candy -- most likely, to make them more palatable to pediatric patients.

Whether that's a good idea, psychologically -- or, for that matter, ethically -- is an interesting question, in and of itself.
Clarke corrected him: "Chief Geek... Geeks get it done. Nerds don't."

"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called Research."
A. Einstein
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SilentCat For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (11-13-11), arrested_truth (04-25-12), CptNemo (11-12-09), Dubwise (04-25-12), Jordoo (05-13-12), Naussicaa (06-21-10), suckabiscuit (03-31-11), TexasBelle (11-03-11)
Old 10-31-10, 09:19 PM

Phuzz413 is on a distinguished road

Yeah Barr Labs Amphetamine Salts 5mg blues DO taste very sweet (not sure about name brand or other generics), and I agree that they would be more palatable for kids, but what if the kid found the container, opened it (child-proof or otherwise) and was like "Oh, wow, here's that candy mommy gives me every morning!! I'm gonna eat a whole bunch!" ... bad idea IMO.. I also take Depakote and it has vanillan in them which makes them taste BETTER, but they don't taste like a sweet candy

In any case, the Amphetamine Salts are a great drug(s)... Just try to take them how you should or it could lead to problems and possibly be a gateway drug to other stimulants. possibly meth or coke?
I'm currently on 5mg in the morning but in a few days will be taking 5mg in the morning and 5mg in the afternoon.

Has anyone ever heard of these being prescribed as PRN's?? (as needed)? .. think that could be practical? ... AFAIK they're not used as PRN's.

-ph
Old 10-31-10, 10:13 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

kiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the rough

thats too funny, cause I just filed at walgreens for first time also and got corepharma.....holy cow what a piece crap generic.....and I know better than to be fooled by placebo, been on these meds for over 3 yrs now and believe me I CAN tell the difference right away....never again Walgreens
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kiosk For This Useful Post:
captainofc (11-22-10), LaVieEnRose (11-01-10), Naussicaa (11-02-10)
Old 10-31-10, 10:30 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,096 Times in 1,196 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future

Avoid those bad generics.

Try Sandoz Adderall in CVS Pharmacy. It's the best and smoothest in effects than any other Adderall generic.
You have to special order it and wait a few days, but it's definitely worth it.

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, Agoraphobia, paranoia.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StoicNate For This Useful Post:
LaVieEnRose (11-01-10), Mignon (11-18-10)
Old 11-01-10, 06:02 AM
Banned

Thanked 2,071 Times in 931 Posts
LaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant future

I've tried Generic Adderall IR manufactured by Corepharma, Brand name Adderall manufactured my BARR, and the third time was a charm! Sandoz(Eon--same company) is far and away the best Adderall IR. When in doubt, go with StoicNate's recommedation.

Corepharma definitely carries wicked side effects with it, jittery, anxiety, tremors. After a few weeks, I started getting a weird sick feeling.. it actually began feeling toxic to me. I can't tell you why, and if you make the mistake, like I did, asking a Pharmacist or a Pharmacy tech, they'll sit there and go off on a schpeel about how all of them are bioequivalent & blah blah.. Just nod and walk away. Clearly these people that stand so firmly behind this idea that they're the same haven't taken them personally.

Speaking of which, I heard Dexedrine Spansules name brand made by GlaskoSmithKline have or are selling it to Corepharma!! Unbelievable. If Teva/Barr or Corepharma get ahold of my Sandoz, I'm screwed. I literally won't take 1 other manufacturer's Adderall.
Old 11-01-10, 08:03 PM

Thanked 1,373 Times in 901 Posts
avjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurve11 View Post
jittery, anxiety, tremors
How about trying straight dex? Dex is a CNS stim, and levo is a sympathetic nervous system stim. No idea why anyone would want to take levo - ADDerall is throwing in a drug that you do not want in with the drug that you do want IMO for me personally. I mean, you can go down to the drugstore and buy levomethamphetamine (don't be confused by their sneaky spelling "levometamfetamine", it's levomethamphetamine) OTC as a nasal decongestant.

ADDerall blend here

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_levoamphetamine

ADDerall was a tad tense for me, and dex was waaaaaaaaay super margeriney smooth.
Old 11-01-10, 08:27 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

kiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by avjgirsijdhtjhs View Post
How about trying straight dex? Dex is a CNS stim, and levo is a sympathetic nervous system stim. No idea why anyone would want to take levo -
a lot of people benefit from the kick in the pants of levo.....dex alone puts me to sleep....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kiosk For This Useful Post:
Naussicaa (11-02-10), starry (01-10-13)
Old 11-01-10, 09:54 PM

Thanked 1,373 Times in 901 Posts
avjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiosk View Post
a lot of people benefit from the kick in the pants of levo.....dex alone puts me to sleep....
I have heard that said quite a few times by people. I can understand that someone might want the levo effect. I just cannot understand why they might want the effect. So far, people's explanations of why they'd want it hasn't really conveyed to me why they'd want it. If I was able to literally be that person for a while and experience their reality then I would be able to see and understand why they'd want the levo effect, but I haven't done this quite just yet. I understand that one size does not fit all and the "different strokes for different folks" sayings, I just haven't seen through my own consciousness and being, why someone would want levo, and frankly just cannot understand why someone would want it because I haven't experienced their reality and consciousness as my own, that's all.
Old 11-01-10, 09:56 PM
Banned

Thanked 2,071 Times in 931 Posts
LaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant future

Quote:
dex alone puts me to sleep....
Same here kiosk.
Old 11-02-10, 11:07 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Naussicaa has a spectacular aura aboutNaussicaa has a spectacular aura about

It makes me tired at low doses, but at higher doses it makes it better. CorePharma put me on a binge, it didn't work at 10mg so I took my other 10mg. It was awful, such a crappy outcome. It lasted longer than an XR, gave me nasty insomnia I kept binging to keep up with my work and at the end of the 3 days I screwed up with a girl who really liked me. I avoid Walgreens now since they refuse to carry any other brands.

Comic book guy voice: WORST GENERIC EVER
The Following User Says Thank You to Naussicaa For This Useful Post:
BMitch (11-27-14)
Old 03-11-11, 01:08 PM

Danielwhite0 is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I recently got my prescription also filled at a Walgreen's Pharmacy and was given the Corepharma generic for Adderall 10mg. Please keep in mind prior to filling with Corepharma I have never believed the bio-equivalency of one generic from another could be so different. With this said I must say that Corepharma produces some of the worst Amphetamine Salt I have ever had. I have filled generic Adderall with Mostly Barr but have also tried Sandoz and Teva. The difference between these manufacture's products are almost un-noticeable by me and many people I have talked with, however the difference with Corepharma is disturbing. I have never been so repulsed by any generic Adderall prior to this experience. I thought at first that maybe something was wrong with me health wise. That my heart, or something else physiologically was wrong with me. This is how different the experience was. It gave me hypertension, which in return gave me a lot of stress and headaches. The feeling while on Corepharma's generic was that of fatigue, headache, foggy minded and overall ma-laze. I was shocked. I decided to look up Corepharma on the internet and I'm glad that I did. It would seam that almost everyone has had the same adverse reactions to this manufactures generic. I have been taking this drug with no ill effects for 8 years and now I take the generic by Corepharma and it makes me quite ill. This could only mean that the chemical composition of this supposed amphetamine combo is in fact not what it should be. I believe they are skimping on the saccarate which would indeed cause a lot of my adverse effects. The effects are almost identical to that of Mexican phentermine which I have tried in the past when out of my generic adderall. I was so repulsed by my experience that I have reported this to the FDA and also my doctor. I took the Corepharma for 5 days giving it the best try of it that I could handle. I was so fed up with the negative side effects that I called my doctor and explained to him what I was experiencing and he gladly gave me a new script to fill. I filled it this time with Barr generic and again everything is fine. I still can't fathom how Corepharma is getting away with manufacturing such a inferior generic for Adderall. I will be sending a few of Corepharma's pills to an independant lab. Then depending on what they find I will send it to the FDA. I will not stand idle while these people possibly kill someone. They are putting something into they're product that is creating frightening side effects such as hypertension and heart palpitations that are most certainly not indicative to normal and healthy individuals. I understand that the abuse of real Adderall can cause some of the negative effects but not to a seasoned veteran that has taken adderall successfully for years. Switching back to my preferred generic and not having any of the side effects that I had with Corepharma proves a scary hypothesis that Corepharma is playing a very real and dangerous game involving a negligent manufacturing process of Adderall. I will do everything in my power to see they get shut down for this.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Danielwhite0 For This Useful Post:
33Forward (12-08-16), addgifted (01-18-14), BMitch (11-27-14), kiosk (03-12-11), StoicNate (03-11-11), StrangeLttlGrrl (03-12-11), Stressless37 (05-11-12)
Old 03-12-11, 05:58 PM

StrangeLttlGrrl will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielwhite0 View Post
Corepharma produces some of the worst Amphetamine Salt I have ever had... the difference with Corepharma is disturbing...The feeling while on Corepharma's generic was that of fatigue, headache, foggy minded and overall ma-laze. I was shocked. I decided to look up Corepharma on the internet and I'm glad that I did. It would seam that almost everyone has had the same adverse reactions to this manufactures generic
Count me in as another Corepharma victim. Teva/Barr works well and I am switching back to it on Monday, when I can get a new script filled. Luckily, I have not had some of the worst of the side effects you and others have listed, but I am feeling "off" in the way you describe. And I was beginning to panic just a little thinking that my meds had stopped working! Then I remembered my usual pharmacy had just switched manufacturers on me, and when I checked -- yep, Corepharma. So in addition to my usual ADHD, I am feeling just what I've quoted above from your experience! And it just does not work as well. I went to my DH's doc's appointment yesterday, as I usually do (what can I say -- we're close ), and I really flaked out toward the end the way I usually only do when unmedicated -- confused, blurting things out, interrupting, anxious, and generally a PITA to everyone around me. I felt so bad, but I couldn't stop myself -- just like the bad old days!

Now I simply have to try to keep up with the work I have and the school I have -- both here at home -- between now and then and not spazz out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielwhite0 View Post
I believe they are skimping on the saccarate which would indeed cause a lot of my adverse effects... I have reported this to the FDA and also my doctor... I will be sending a few of Corepharma's pills to an independant lab. Then depending on what they find I will send it to the FDA.
How did you report it to the FDA? I will do so also. Like you, I always thought the "generics are bioequivalent" line held true. It does for all of the other drugs I take or have taken in the past, so I was really surprised. Please let us know what your results are from the independent lab.

What makes me the angriest is that I paid $80 (US) -- no insurance -- for a still pretty full bottle of ineffective medicine. And being a Schedule II drug, the pharmacy will not take it back. Lost time, lost productivity, lost work, lost money... Can. Not. Afford.