ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 09-02-18, 11:30 AM

teenuh216 is on a distinguished road
Adderall IR problems

Hi, I'm new to this thread and only semi-new to ADHD. My PCP thought I had anxiety, but it just didn't add up. Anyway, I self-referred and saw a Psychiatrist and it turns out I have ADHD. Everything made sense.

Anyway, we started me off with Vyvanse. It did nothing, we doubled the dose and it still did nothing. We decided to switch the Adderall. We started at 15mg IR and I thought it worked. It's harder to tell with yourself if something is working I feel like.
I ended up not taking it again for a period of time and just tried to self-medicate with coffee. It works, but not enough and sometimes it doesn't work enough. I ended up failing my Microbiology and I decided I needed to really try to deal with this ADHD to be successful.

I met with my psych again and he agreed to start playing with the doses to find a good fit. We communicate by email, or phone between appointments as he is pretty busy.

Here is where I'm in need of assistance, and I feel like others who deal with this stuff all the time have more experience.

Thursday: I took 15mg IR before leaving for school. I stopped to grab a coffee on the way. No food that morning. The dose appeared to work some, but after my lecture (90 mins) I have to go to the lab and by then I was mentally checked out. I was bored, ready to go, my mind was wandering. It was bad.

->Provider suggested upping the dose by 1.5 so I took 22.5mg (I had to cut my 15's in half). I took this on Saturday. I had a headache. It wasn't unbearable, but certainly not ideal. Again, I didn't eat at first, but 30 mins post taking the pill I did and had some coffee. The headache was still there and remained for a good portion of the day. I wasn't calm, focused or relaxed.

This morning I tried the 15mg again and there is no headache, but I'm still not as focused as I would like (still getting distracted but not as much). I also feel a little "jittery"

I read online that a headache is common in the beginning and if I just tuff it out my body will adjust.

I also read that sometimes taking a blood pressure medicine will help.

Should I try a lower dose? like 7.5 and see if that helps? Not sure if taking too much will give you more symptoms.

Thanks for any feedback!

Last edited by Greyhound1; 09-03-18 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: Dosing method
Old 09-02-18, 02:39 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,567 Times in 15,079 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adderall IR problems

Also you have to eat better and drink water. More water than you think you need.

I carried a watermelon?

Last edited by Greyhound1; 09-03-18 at 07:01 PM.. Reason: Edited OP
Old 09-02-18, 04:36 PM

teenuh216 is on a distinguished road

I was told to take it on an empty stomach. Hmmm

Last edited by Greyhound1; 09-03-18 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: Dosing method
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-18, 06:09 PM
Banned

hydrogene is on a distinguished road

Some people develop a tolerance to Adderall very quickly in a couple of days.
here are some more information :
https://www.printfriendly.com/p/g/YKThSP

https://www.printfriendly.com/p/g/HzxHzs

https://www.printfriendly.com/p/g/kaf5Jd

Last edited by midnightstar; 09-04-18 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: print friendlied links, no other edits
Old 09-03-18, 06:48 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,508 Times in 11,538 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Same dose forevah. I think the brand makes a huge difference.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
msrathe802 (10-05-18)
Old 09-04-18, 02:02 PM
Banned

hydrogene is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
Same dose forevah. I think the brand makes a huge difference.
If you're taking the same dose forever then it's called "placebo effect". Just above I posted studies and research that prove tolerance.
Old 09-04-18, 02:50 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrogene View Post
If you're taking the same dose forever then it's called "placebo effect". Just above I posted studies and research that prove tolerance.
You posted three links. Only one of them was a study. The study actually found evidence of "reverse tolerance" (i.e. the same dose become stronger over time) in addition to evidence of tolerance.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (09-04-18), msrathe802 (10-05-18)
Old 09-04-18, 06:09 PM

ms ladybug is on a distinguished road

I’ve been on the same dose for 10 years. Most weekends off.
Old 09-04-18, 09:16 PM
Contributor

wonderboy has a spectacular aura aboutwonderboy has a spectacular aura about

We are not meant to be able to focus profoundly and intensely all the time regardless if you have ADHD or not

Moreover, you should never really “feel” anything.

Conversely, you should notice that your behavior has changed, or others should

Even with medication, it usually takes the brain 21 days to change behavior, although I understand that some on amphetamine experience immediate “change

Concerning your question about blood pressure, I personally would never take a Blood pressure medication if it was not absolutely needed, and not to assuage a symptom you believe to be the result of Adderall

This is a question that should be addressed to a doctor

Last edited by wonderboy; 09-04-18 at 09:31 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to wonderboy For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (09-04-18)
Old 09-04-18, 09:48 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,508 Times in 11,538 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrogene View Post
okay, if you say so.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 10-07-18, 01:38 AM
Contributor

wonderboy has a spectacular aura aboutwonderboy has a spectacular aura about

This is a somewhat outdated letter, apparently to a individual doctor,
scrutinizing FDA standards for ensuring bioequivalence

A lot of jargon, but I thought some might find it interesting,
especially the FDA's reluctance

https://www.fdanews.com/ext/resource...6-12-Shire.pdf