ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Medications for Co-Existing Conditions > Anti-Depressants
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-10, 09:13 PM
Forum ADDvocate

425runner has a spectacular aura about425runner has a spectacular aura about
Anyone taking Wellbutrin XL and Adderall together?

I was put on Wellbutrin XL 150mg/day by my neurologist after getting depressed from chronic pain but ever since I switched doctors and was actually dg. with ADD and started Adderall, I feel a lot better and would like to quit the Wellbutrin.

If I take both at the same time, they seem to potentiate the effects. The Wellbutrin itself makes me irritable and moody, Adderall is just smooth focus and energy.

Anyone taking both meds? Can I quit the Wellbutrin cold turkey or maybe just take EOD for a week and then stop?
Old 12-27-10, 04:28 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice
Re: Anyone taking Wellbutrin XL and Adderall together?

wellbutrin should have no withdrawal or issues going off. I'd say stopping would not result in discontinuation issues whatsoever. Of course consult with your doctor as well. I find wellbutrin to help give me a baseline effect and curb impulsivity . I will say I probably think a bit better without it on board though. Should work fine with your stimulant.
Old 01-11-11, 07:18 AM
Contributor

aarondev will become famous soon enough

No, wellbutrin cannot be stopped cold-turkey. You have to taper this kind of medicine. Speaking from experience, it has serious negative side-effects (Suicide ideation... leading almost to action).

It would be helpful to know how long you were on the WB before you started the Adderall. Talk to your doctor about getting a more thorough diagnosis of the ADD, e.g. a clinical test (involves sitting and doing tests over two days; two to four hours per day) and will be better than just describing moods. That's great though if the Adderall has assisted.

You can call your doctor and ask to speak with them. They should be able to call you back by the end of the day if you're wanting to stop sooner rather than later. Or rather I should say start getting stopped, or something like that.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-11, 12:18 PM
Contributor

Yellow will become famous soon enough

i wouldnt stop wellbutrin cold turkey, or at all. i take both and wellbutrin doesnt make the dexedrine any worse, in fact, days i dont take dexedrine im glad i have wellbutrin
Old 02-12-11, 07:10 PM
Contributor

AlexaN is a jewel in the roughAlexaN is a jewel in the roughAlexaN is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425runner View Post
I was put on Wellbutrin XL 150mg/day by my neurologist after getting depressed from chronic pain but ever since I switched doctors and was actually dg. with ADD and started Adderall, I feel a lot better and would like to quit the Wellbutrin.

If I take both at the same time, they seem to potentiate the effects. The Wellbutrin itself makes me irritable and moody, Adderall is just smooth focus and energy.

Anyone taking both meds? Can I quit the Wellbutrin cold turkey or maybe just take EOD for a week and then stop?
i am taking Ritalin and Wellbutrin XR.
No, do NOT recommmend to stop it cold turkey.
Made me feeel awful missing one pill (one day), so...

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
Old 02-16-11, 11:06 AM

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

Yeah I've been taking wellbutrin for about 8 months steady. Wellbutrin seems to even things out when I get all over the place. If I take too much I cannot really focus so I've been on 150xl. Over time really I notice a dip in my ability to focus and maintain focus for any period of time. I feel as if when I take my focalin over the course of time that it doesn't last as long as it would , or maybe that it's actually lasting longer but my focus isn't deep enough for my adhd. I may drop it and see how it goes. Getting a bit sick of it as it only interferes with my ability to focus and with it onboard I cannot really tell when my meds are waxing or waning. The ability to pinpoint your stimulants ups and downs are important so you can know if your dose is working.
Old 02-18-11, 04:16 PM

jd-in-nh-ADHDer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425runner View Post

I take Wellbutrin XL 300mg/daily and Adderall xl 20mg, and 10mg adderall ir, and they work good together.

The fact that you fell better on Wellbutrin is a sign that it's working, and yes you should not stop Wellbutrin cold turkey. Then again talk to your doctor.

Just my input, hope it helps.

JD
Old 04-27-11, 08:54 PM

johnnyc00 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood View Post
Yeah I've been taking wellbutrin for about 8 months steady. Wellbutrin seems to even things out when I get all over the place. If I take too much I cannot really focus so I've been on 150xl. Over time really I notice a dip in my ability to focus and maintain focus for any period of time. I feel as if when I take my focalin over the course of time that it doesn't last as long as it would , or maybe that it's actually lasting longer but my focus isn't deep enough for my adhd. I may drop it and see how it goes. Getting a bit sick of it as it only interferes with my ability to focus and with it onboard I cannot really tell when my meds are waxing or waning. The ability to pinpoint your stimulants ups and downs are important so you can know if your dose is working.
I've read this alot and I just got prescribed wellbutrin w/ my vyvanse. Why does wellbutrin cause cognative/memory issues? I thought it was supposed to be used off label for adhd??
Old 05-06-11, 12:11 AM

Gunner will become famous soon enough

It's mode of action is pretty similar to something like Strattera, and can't see how that would cause memory issues. The Wiki is very imformative on the drug though. Even says that its ADD properties are conflicting, and should not be a first or even second line treatment.

Also: According to several case reports, stopping bupropion abruptly may result in discontinuation syndrome expressed as dystonia, irritability, anxiety, mania, headache, aches and pains. However wiki reports that suicidal thoughts in adults is almost null. However, as noted above YMMV.
Old 06-23-11, 08:56 PM

nolagirl70 is on a distinguished road

i stopped cold turkey after 5 years and it didn't hurt...but then...i dumped all my meds at the same time...was i ok? yes....should i have? probly not....which is why i'm on my way to finding something that works for me...again.
Old 06-24-11, 06:35 PM

Thanked 17,520 Times in 7,316 Posts
Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute

I'm on Aplenzin, similar to Wellbutrin, and Adderall XR. I would talk to your doctor before doing anything, because your symptoms would be the best indicator of what needs to be changed. If you quit the one that's actually helping, that's no good, and it could be that an adjusted dose of one or the other will get the balance right.
Old 07-06-11, 02:45 AM

alkalineashes will become famous soon enough

i take both and wb has been great for my memory and cognitive problems that came from lexapro.Wellbutrin really makes me analyze my choices and helps me focus, while the adderall gives me the energy to get it done. I can get a bit irritable tho if I feel i am wasting time.
Old 07-10-11, 01:39 PM

i really am not sure about this combo now.. I feel on edge a little too much but im at a place in life where I have too much free time so these two meds can cause some anxiety. blah i guess ill stay with 150xl awhile
think.pink (05-19-14)
Old 07-13-11, 06:30 PM

officially off the WB. Too much agitaion, annxiety. I may use it on stim holidays tho
Old 07-31-11, 12:32 AM

AddledSquirrel will become famous soon enough

I'm on Wellbutrin XL and Adderall XR. They're working great for me. I do find the Wellbutrin makes me a little more aggressive but not to the point that it's messing up my life. It's definitely helped my concentration levels; I'm a freakin' MACHINE at work now, what with the hyperfocusing. So yeah. Good stuff