ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Medications for Co-Existing Conditions > Anti-Depressants
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-10, 07:32 PM
ADDvanced Member

Jenjor has disabled reputation
Question Just started Pristiq

I just started Pristiq 3 weeks ago after a few months of no affect from Zoloft. This is about my fifth go around on antidepressants in the past 20 years and nothing seems to work well. Could my body just be too used to being medicated on these things that nothing is going to work for me anymore?
As I said, it's been 3 weeks and I am feeling a little more energetic. But I went on to Webmd today and post after post was downright frightening. Is Pristiq even scarier to get off than Effexor? Is it one of the worst?
My new psychiatrist has diagnosed me anew with ADD as well. I havent started on any ADD meds yet as she first wanted me to get an EKG (was normal). What ADD med goes well with Pristiq? Or is Pristiq too scary to even stay on? Any input anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. I really feel that I am letting down my 7 year old son every day with my depression, inability to make decisions, poor money managent and slovenly ways (new for me).
Old 04-09-10, 01:16 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,893 Times in 2,968 Posts
meridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Just started Pristiq

It may be weird but I am on Pristiq 50mg and Strattera 100mg and Prozac 10 mg and find the combo works for me.

EVERY drug has a alot of scary stories associated with itm, because people are far more likely to write about their scary experiences than about success.

I was on Wellbutrin and it gave me hallucinations. Other people swear it is a great med.

You should see all the scary stories about Strattera, but it works for me.

We are all a bit different. Pristiq has been helpful but it didn't complete the job until Strattera was added for me.

Best of luck finding the right combo.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

“Would you deny for others what you demand for yourself?” – U2

“The future ain't what it used to be.” – Yogi
Old 04-09-10, 01:55 PM

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

meridian ,

correct me if I'm wrong but you take no stimulants for adhd correct? That is great that you have found relief and are feeling better. I find that it probably really does take a cocktail of the right meds before people get relief. Let me tell you this folks, that alot of us and most people in our country are really stressed but when you take into account adhd the stress can be too much. It's not that people necessarily need these meds all the time but when you can change the environment you must first change and adapt yourself, if you lack these skills and support to begin with then meds will help the equation. Personally for me my stims work but I do have anxiety and some social deficits when I feel stressed. When I'm not stressed I'm quite the entrepreneur and very well versed. So I see a large gap between the two states that I can switch in and out of depending on situation. It's not fun when you know the difference. I am currently on my stims and dropped wellbutrin as it does not help the anxiety component and am trying intuniv. I feel a bit dopey but its not terrible . Pristiq and cymbalta have always been appealing to me as when I was on cymbalta for more than 3 weeks I was more relaxed and able to eliminate distracting sensory and extraneous thoughts. If you eliminate distracting thoughts then my focus and mind power is back to baseline with no stress and thats pretty high functioning. Working on it!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-10, 05:51 PM

wgspot is on a distinguished road

SSRI's can be tricky ! I have a very low tolerance for them especially with taking Concerta for for my ADHD. I'm still in search for a combination that works for me.
I'm currently taking Lithium,Concerta, Lexapro(5mg now coming off in 10 days)& Abilify. Good luck with switching meds.

wgspot
Old 01-11-11, 08:01 PM

btmomma is on a distinguished road

I started pristiq about 3 months ago and didnt really have any side effects starting on it, which they all have scary side effects...you want the one that brings you the least amount! my dr said that, makes sense. I take that with amp salts 20XR two times a day, it gives me energy and ive lost a few pounds. ive tried all of them, this is the best ive had in years, although i have noticed recently im having lack of sexual interest...and nothing has ever affected that part of my life...until now. good luck.
l
Old 01-12-11, 12:42 PM

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

Pristiq helps u focus?
Old 01-14-11, 12:14 PM
Contributor

Yellow will become famous soon enough

pristiq is great for depression and anxiety, but can be problematic with stimulants. i would avoid dexedrine and adderall (amphetamines) and first try ritalin/conerta/focalin family because i got serotonin syndrome from pristiq and dexedrine and that could have been fatal in more ways than one. so to answer simply try ritalin/focalin/concerta first, then if that doesnt work SLOWLY try dex/adderall at like 5mg doses and work up but monitor your behavior

PS I personally wouldnt stay on pristiq, im a big fan of zoloft because it has dopamine enhancing properties which can help add at higher doses along wth the depression and anxiety its prescribed for, and its the broadest spectrum use for all psych diagnoses
Old 05-20-11, 10:12 AM

Well it's a modern day miracle, I have depression and or anxiety issues and I'm winding up my first full week on pristiq. I can hardly believe that it. I haven't felt as mentally sharp , but then again how sharp is being stuck on the same looping thought anyways regardless of it's clarity. Anxiety and rumination was killing me. I have hopes that pristiq will continue to work even better once I adjust. I cannot believe I'm sticking with it. I guess I reached a point where I needed to do something. Can pristiq and concerta be taken with intuniv. I think that may be the balance that I need .
Old 05-25-11, 12:23 PM
Contributor

Scarletta has a spectacular aura aboutScarletta has a spectacular aura about

Yes, they can be taken together. What I find weird though is that intuniv is just tenex, repackaged and more expensive. THere's a generic tenex that would work just as well and cheap too.. These pharma co's, always looking to make a buck.
Old 05-25-11, 01:51 PM

scarletta,

what I'm finding out is that wellbutrin has to be on board with the pristiq, I kept failing on ssri and snri treatment alone , wellbutrin helps with the motivation. Crap, I guess I need a small dose beta blocker or intuniv to get full symptom control.
Old 06-02-11, 08:14 PM

irishloveguines is on a distinguished road

i take pristiq at 50 mg, w/ adderall (30mg 2x day), lamotrigine, latuda and lunesta. i'm not sure if it's working or not. whether or not its needed i'm not sure. i bumped it up to 100mg for about a week as i have a really stubborn OCD (intrusive thoughts are hell) and my pdoc said a higher dose of ssri/snri occasionally helps w/ OCD, and it sent me into a mixed state (i'm bipolar as well). been back on 50mg since, and it seems to work. much better than lexapro, i can finally experience sex again with being on pristiq
Old 06-02-11, 11:36 PM

out of pristine, cymbalta and Prozac which one gives more mental energy. I would think cymbalta?
Old 06-03-11, 03:47 PM

irishloveguines is on a distinguished road

well... pristiq is an SNRI which affects norepinephrine.. so that in and of itself should give you more energy
Old 06-06-11, 12:00 PM

thats what I figured. Additionally , one would think cymbalta would have an even better effect yet I hear so many on here say cymbalta is even moreso sedating. Doesn't really make practical sense does it.
Old 07-08-11, 01:05 AM

C-digs is on a distinguished road

I've been on Pristiq for over a year and I switched to it from Effexor. I've had no problems. Only good results. I take dexedrine with it and it's very smooth

Past Rx's: Zoloft, Cymbalta, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Seroquel, Lamictal, Risperadol, Effexor, Klonopin, Geodon, Trazodone

Diagnoses: Anorexia Nervosa, PTSD, GAD, ADHD inattentive, Depression