ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Medications for Co-Existing Conditions > Anti-Depressants
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-09, 05:04 PM
ADDvanced Member

Kerstin is on a distinguished road
Re: Antidepressant without weight gain?

As other posters mentioned, Wellbutrin generally doesn't cause any weight gain. Some argue it actually caused some weight loss at higher dosages (which should be taken with care due to lower seizure threshold).

Also, many people find great success by Wellbutrin with an SSRI. They report the Wellbutrin cancels out some problems caused by SSRIs, such a fatigue, sexual problems, weight gain. My doctor says she proscribe the Wellbutrin/SSRI combo mush more often than just Wellbutrin alone.

I took Wellbutrin, went off it for a week, and am now back on it (long story). I tried several other AD, including the Lexapro that you mentioned. Wellbutrin is the only one that makes it very easy for me to get out of bed and get going in the morning. It is the only one that doesn't leave me foggy, sleep mess all day.

Everyone responds to ADs differently, but if concern over weight gain is preventing you from seeking treatment you need, you might want to talk to your doctor about taking Wellbutrin in addition to an SSRI or alone.

As a side note, Wellbutrin does not play nice if you have anxiety issues.
Old 05-06-09, 01:21 AM
Jr Member

robinpooh19 is on a distinguished road

i didnt gain weight on prozac and i was on it for a year (in fact managed to lose 15 pounds) which I gained back during another depressive episode (sigh I so much as lookat food and gain weight).

Paxil and Zoloft and Effexor - tried all these and gained a lot of weight on
Lexapro - gained 3 pounds in a week- going off to try cymbalta
desipramine - no weight gain
Old 05-06-09, 08:59 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

I have some worry thoughts, it's kind of like obsessive worry thoughts when you consider I have adhd so when I'm worried about something then take my meds well the aftermath is me obsessing over the idea of a med and it causing weight gain etc... I do not believe cymbalta is supposed promote weight gain.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-09, 10:16 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Ruby85 has a spectacular aura aboutRuby85 has a spectacular aura about

Hollywood, have you been on Cymbalta awhile now? How is it going for you?
Old 05-06-09, 10:40 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

ruby,

cymbalta is interesting, it does work against worrying and anxiety. Sometimes over time taking stims we start to focus on the wrong things, it's actually what happens when the over confidence feeling of stimulants subside and it just helps us focus , then many times an underlying disorder will take place. I have stopped and started cymbalta a few times. I went 3 weeks through about five days ago and missed two days which sets you back a bit due to the short half life. I won't lie having adhd and going through the drowsy side effects are much worse for us with adhd because of our slower brain chemistry, but once you get past the sides, it will actually calm you down and stimulate you. It basically takes worrying out of your head and makes you feel calm and confident. Subtle but effective.
The Following User Says Thank You to hollywood For This Useful Post:
DichotOhMy (02-01-14)
Old 06-16-12, 12:33 AM

La Sleepy will become famous soon enough

So Effexor causes weight gain? I didn't gain on nardil, which is famous for weight gain, and the effexor feels like meth to me after three days, so it's hard to believe I could gain from it. Maybe everyone doesnt get all speeded out like this from it? I hate the headaches. Might have to quit anyway. I did gain a lot of weight on Lexapro, but I was eating bags of chocolate, which I've never done in my life. So the cravings were the problem. And I could say it was because of Lexapro, but I put the chocolate in my mouth, and didn't even care when I gained 50 pounds (my mom had just died in a house fire) but I took it off fast later on. So I'm curious about effexor. Anyone have any info on it's effect on weight?
Old 11-26-12, 08:57 PM

ApricotRoses is on a distinguished road

I was on Pristiq and did not gain any weight, but had to go off of it, it made me CRAZY.... I felt like I was on speed. Now I'm on Viibryd, also weight friendly, but even WORSE than the Pristiq... brain zaps, hallucinations, diarrhea, nausea... I'm weaning myself off it, and it's just horrible. My doctor told me these 2 would not cause weight gain, and he was right there. But otherwise, the other side effects were way too off the charts for me to deal with.