ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Medications for Co-Existing Conditions > Anti-Depressants
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-11, 03:28 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice
Re: Lexapro plus stimulants

I don't know man, lately I've been tired for no reason at all. I feel fine after I eat dinner. I have no idea what is giving me this feeling. I guess maybe it's the ritalin going up and down. I'm basically sick of it , I do need focalin or ritalin to help me stay focused. Otherwise I'm just all over the place.I've been on a higher dose since I metabolize quick but I find the comedown is worse that way , the only thing that helped was intuniv but I didn't stick with it. I just start to worry about it. Anyways, not sure debating starting intuniv again.
Old 09-27-11, 10:39 AM
Jr Member

soovermyself is on a distinguished road

Hollywood. Do you lift weights? Does your dose of lexapro co-inside with work out. In my past experience's I had extra energy at start of absorbing med. Muscle tightening,Sweating and anxious. Also why did u stop celexa?
Current meds
Adderall IR 20mg 2xday(generic)
Celexa 20mg daily (generic)
Ultram 50-100mg 3xday.(generic)
Conditions
Cronic fatigue
Situational depresion / anxious
Old 09-27-11, 12:30 PM

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

Yes, I was anxious in the gym. My muscles hurt and felt jumpy it sucked! I got so tired on it after awhile so I stopped. As usual I found out there were underlying issues making me tired. Sleep apnea that went undisclosed since I am very fit and allergies , I am always so stuffed up and it makes sleep and asthma worse
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-12, 04:43 AM

mts09003 is on a distinguished road

Okay guys heres the thing about taking a very seratonin selective ssri such as lexapro (not all ssri's have the same seratonin/norepinephrine selectivity/dopamine selectivity and lexapro is alot farther on the seratonin side of the than most ssri's).

Since they raise seratonin levels they decrease the effectiveness of amphetamine stimulants or stimulants in general. The reason for the is because seratonin is an endogenous (i.e. natural, made by your body) inhibitor of dopamine! Adderall and vyvanse work basically by vastly increasing dopamine levels in your brain!

I just experienced this first hand. I took vyvanse 30mg about 6 months ago before I started taking lexapro and the effects were VERY pronounced. While studying I was completely euphoric and locked into whatever I was doing, just totally speeded out. Today I took double that (60mg) and am feeling about 25% of the effect I felt when I took the vyvanse 30mg.

Seeing as I am very knowledgeable in pharmacology I thought about how this could possibly be. After a little pondering I realized it was the lexapro (ive been on 20 mg for about 3 months now) which increased seratonin levels in my brain which was blunting the dopaminergic effects of the vyvanse!

So yea, just a little FYI for you guys. This kind of sucks though because I was supposed to get alot of studying done tonight

Last edited by namazu; 12-12-12 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: Added paragraph breaks for easier reading.
Old 12-13-12, 12:15 AM

So ssris make it too difficult to focus ?