ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Strattera
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Strattera (Atomoxetine HCI)

Old 12-23-07, 07:48 PM

smoothoperator will become famous soon enough
Re: Share your Strattera Success Stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by lars

Speaking just for myself, I still come here to share with others the experience that brought me to a point where I felt that I had gained control of my condition, and also to continue to learn more about this condition from others like yourself. Just because a person is able to get this condition under control does not mean that they have learned everything there is to know about this condition. I learn knew things about it here all the time.
This is cool. I'm glad you're here to help and thanks because I never thought about things this way before.
The Following User Says Thank You to smoothoperator For This Useful Post:
xstarchildx (07-01-08)
Old 12-23-07, 07:50 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

lars is a jewel in the roughlars is a jewel in the roughlars is a jewel in the rough

My pleasure, and thank you for being here too.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
~ Dr. Seuss

The Following User Says Thank You to lars For This Useful Post:
xstarchildx (07-01-08)
Old 01-27-08, 02:10 AM

Calmer_engineer is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Share your Strattera Success Stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by timh View Post
A lot of posts on the negatives of Strattera recently.

Please share with us your successes of taking Strattera.

* Please do not post anything negative. As moderator, I will edit the content or remove the post.
- What dosage works for you?
60mg in the AM and 40 mg around 2 to 3 pm every day all year and in the late fall and winter right up to when DST kicks in I also need 150 mg wellbutrin in the am and another 150mg around 2 to 3 pm until the days start to get longer. I was diagnosed with ADD 3 years ago. I'm a male in the mid 40's.
- What was your titration (dosage path; i.e. 10mg to 18mg to 25mg)and how long to reach your target dosage?
At first I tried wellbutrin and it worked then Strattera came out so I stopped the Wellbutrin and went to 18mg in am and 18mg in pm, then 60mg in am and 60mg in pm it was to high and my head tingled, then 40/40, and finally 60 mg in the am and 40 mg in the pm. I did have one meltdown in the winter 2 years ago and thats when my psychiatrist said you could use the Wellbutrin up to 300mg per day with it. So thats how I got to where the doses are today.
- What was the single most benefit of taking Strattera?

It got rid of my impulsivness, impulsive anger, and Anxiety.
As a result, everyone including my wife have said I'm alot calmer and pleasant to be around not. Work has gotten alot better too as a result.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-08, 02:16 AM

Calmer_engineer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaberry View Post
I started out on 40 mg about 3 1/2 months ago, and my dossage has not changed. My doctor told me not to expect any noticeble effects for a couple of weeks, possibly up to 6 weeks. After 5 days on the stuff, my work productivity increased by 25%-30%, and my work accuracy increased significantly. I have to keep track of what I work on, how long I spend on it, and such details. My job log for one day was typically 1 full page per day. It went to 1 1/4 to sometimes 2 pages per day, with much fewer revisions necessary.

I used to always feel anxious and confused about what I was doing unless I had a procedure memorized. Then I would go through the work mechanically without taking into account any exceptions for a paricular job, which always come up. I now feel like clockwork when I do my job. I always know what the next step is to be taken, and work through a job without a hundred small (or large) pauses to regain my bearings. I cant believe that the rest of the world has always felt like this. It blows my mind to think what I could have done with my life if I had ever done homework in school, or bothered to read a book all the way through.

I had some nauseousness in the begining, and I keep a jar of peanuts in my desk and eat a handfull whenever a wave hits me. My mouth was almost allways dry the first two months, so I sucked on cough drops frequently.

It has been a positive life changing event for me.

Thanks
I always have to take a full glass of water with the Stratterra to avoid a heartburn like effect but after that no problem.
Old 02-03-08, 06:05 PM
Jr Member

shesgotmoxie is on a distinguished road

I have a week of the 18 mg and then up to 25 next week, then a follow up visit with my doctor. I'm really anxious to know whether I should continue taking this or ask about Adderall.
Old 02-03-08, 06:32 PM

Jayssm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shesgotmoxie View Post
I was told that I have "many ADD symptoms" but not a "classic case," whatever that means. My doctor recommended Stratters.

I just took my first dose of Strattera last night before bed, it was 18 mg. My psychiatrist told me to take it before bed to avoid the side effects... but wow, that was the worst night of sleep I've EVER had. I woke up about every 30 minutes and had to change positions, roll over, etc, to get comfortable. I usually have trouble sleeping but never that bad. I had really strange dreams that actually frightened be a bit. I felt a little nauseous even though I'd eaten beforehand.

I have a week of the 18 mg and then up to 25 next week, then a follow up visit with my doctor. I'm really anxious to know whether I should continue taking this or ask about Adderall. I would like to take Adderall just so that I can take one AS NEEDED. I have a lot of trouble on days when I have a science lab or a math lab, and it varies day to day. Some days I just CANNOT make myself pay attention or sit still - it's these days that I'd like to just take one pill to help even me out through the day. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with taking Strattera every day to feel the extended effects. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Just wondering if you guys could give me some advice, seeing as I've JUST been diagnosed and I have no idea about any kinds of medications at all.
Hi there, I've started on Strattera (my first med of any kind) 19 days ago - 40mg for the first two weeks and now 60mg for the last 5 days. the side effects became noticeably weaker every day - but they were never strong enough to be worrying. I take my med at about 7:30am and by mid morning I am concentrating better then before. It seems to be establishing my moods (which was not a big issue anyway). But has not had much effect on my memory, which for me was my most noticeable symptom. I cant say I've felt the 24/7 effect yet but its still early, I do have trouble getting started at work until the mid morning point when I can feel the med kick in (I can feel a bit of a buzz). Overall, I would say my experience has been so far so good.
Old 02-05-08, 12:30 AM
ADDvanced Member

Location: Mountlake Terrace, Washington, USA, World, Solar System
AnalogDog has a spectacular aura aboutAnalogDog has a spectacular aura about

Strattera was a complete and total drag for me, as I was on it for 4 or 5 years, and it did only about 50% of what ritalin does for me. Strattera I thought was a godsend, but I did not realize the problems I had until I got off it.

The real problem for me, was thinking that under strattera I was leading a normal ADD life. Far from it. Under Ritalin I am far from completely sane, but now I know I am nuts.

Oh, I started out at 10mg, then 20, then 40, then 60mg for my max dose.

Last edited by AnalogDog; 02-05-08 at 12:32 AM.. Reason: Added more info.
Old 02-25-08, 06:33 AM

jmc136 is on a distinguished road

Ive been on strattera for about a week and I'm experiencing sexual side effects (orgasm and ejaculation out of sync, painful orgasm, etc). I really want to continue with strattera because I hate the side effects of stimulants, but I'm wondering if its worth it with the sexual side effects. Any of you guys have this same experience? Does it go away?
The Following User Says Thank You to jmc136 For This Useful Post:
aarondev (05-02-11)
Old 03-23-08, 12:53 PM

Granite State is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc136 View Post
Ive been on strattera for about a week and I'm experiencing sexual side effects (orgasm and ejaculation out of sync, painful orgasm, etc). I really want to continue with strattera because I hate the side effects of stimulants, but I'm wondering if its worth it with the sexual side effects. Any of you guys have this same experience? Does it go away?
I had painful ejaculation during my first week, but that has gone away. Only significant side-effect now is slow urination. Takes me forever to empty my bladder.

I was pretty sleepy the first couple of days I took it, then sleepy again for a day with each dose increase. I started at 10mg for a week, then 20mg for a week, now I've been on 30mg for a few days (I think) . . . my target dose is 40mg. I started to see a benefit towards the end of the first week, lost it for a few days with the first dose increase, got it back, then lost it again with the most recent dose increase. Feeling better today though. For me, the "beneficial" effects I'm describing are less procrastination, more "mental energy," and I have an easier time reading. I'm also in a better mood in general.

Last edited by Granite State; 03-23-08 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: forgot to quote preceding post
Old 04-04-08, 01:52 PM

rubychild is on a distinguished road

I was put on Strattera in junior high but went off it in high school and through college, so when I got married last year and started an office job and decided I needed help focusing, my new doctor just gave me an Rx for the dosage I was on before, 60mg. The first six weeks were sketchy, I didn't see a lot of difference (though my husband did) and I was super tired; but it got better and I felt a lot more grounded. BUT last month (I've been on it for about six months) we upped the dose to 80mg and the difference is AMAZING. I actually ran out of meds for three days, which is when I realized the extent to which Strattera helps me.

First of all, I was reminded what it's like to think of something and forget it instantly - ALL THE TIME. With Strattera, that rarely happens!! Which is ridiculous, as that used to just be my norm. I can actually remember something at night that I told myself to do that morning. I find that I can still multi-task up a storm but I don't forget the different things that I'm working on nearly so badly, and definitely can carry a task or thought through to completion (which was nearly impossible before). During the days that I was off it, my poor brain was jumping all over the place, just like it used to... it was awful!! Wierd how fast you forget what used to be. I couldn't hardly finish a thought and my speech was choppy because I was again trying to spit out thoughts as fast as they came so they wouldn't disappear.

I find that Strattera doesn't necessarily eliminate the thousands of thoughts from my brain - it slows them down and makes them sit nicely so I can work with them. It doesn't feel like my head is full of bratty little kids all clamoring for my immediate attention anymore! I could sing Strattera's praises from the rooftops. I can't believe what I used to live like!

"I'm sorry, I forget
why I'm talking to you."
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rubychild For This Useful Post:
aarondev (05-02-11), Hello24 (03-19-15), Jade Sea (01-31-11)
Old 04-04-08, 02:06 PM

rubychild is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shesgotmoxie View Post
I have a week of the 18 mg and then up to 25 next week, then a follow up visit with my doctor. I'm really anxious to know whether I should continue taking this or ask about Adderall.
I read your longer question in Jayssm's post, and while I'm not in the same boat with you I do have a small piece of advice from my experience for you: try taking it in the morning instead of at night. Even though I had the sleepy side effect during the day, when I tried taking it at night it was just like you - the crappiest night I've ever spent trying to sleep. When I told my doctor that I tried taking it at night she was like, "Oh nononono! That will never work!" Now, I know that's not a completely true statement because there are some people on here who take it at night and are fine. But if you can't sleep, it's probably not going to get better. If you stick with Strattera, you might have better results if you take it in the morning.

"I'm sorry, I forget
why I'm talking to you."
Old 06-29-08, 02:36 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

timh has a spectacular aura abouttimh has a spectacular aura about

I haven't posted in a long time, so I decided to provide an update. I have been taking Strattera for about 4 years straight. Along with Lexapro and a light dose of Adderall XR. I decided to take medication vacation. I slowly stopped taking the Adderall over one week and then the Strattera over 2 weeks. I have been off both for about 2 weeks now and notice I have have more trouble:

typing on a keyboard
formulating setences
collecting my thoughts
staying on tasik
getting started

I guess this means the medication was useful. Now I need to decide if I want to start back in the near future.

The key is to be mindful and aware of your actions duing this time.

- Tim

- "Tim's incessant talking is wearing on all of us." (comment on 4th grade report card)

Cocktail : Adderall XR (10mg AM), Lexapro (10mg), Strattera (40mg AM/40mg PM)
The Following User Says Thank You to timh For This Useful Post:
JSID (08-28-10)
Old 07-01-08, 06:00 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

xstarchildx is a glorious beacon of lightxstarchildx is a glorious beacon of lightxstarchildx is a glorious beacon of lightxstarchildx is a glorious beacon of lightxstarchildx is a glorious beacon of lightxstarchildx is a glorious beacon of light

Right i thought i better do a success story so far......

I started on Strattera again after my baby in May 2008 at 40mg and 10mg of Equasym, everything was fantastic for about 3 or 4 weeks then i felt like it was wearing off.

I asked my psych to up my dose to 80mg which we had previously discussed and have took 80mg for a week now and wow again the improvements in my life are great.

I have had certain side effects but i have put up with to give the medication a chance regardless of how i have felt and finally it has paid off.

I take my 2 40mg at night at 10pm fall asleep fine now didn't in the beginning though.
I take my 10mg of Equasym in the morning.

I really would tell people give this medication a chance try putting up with some of the horrible side effects it might be well worth it like it is in my case.
The Following User Says Thank You to xstarchildx For This Useful Post:
You'reHot (09-12-11)
Old 07-12-08, 10:50 AM

whiteneptune can only hope to improve

I just don't know

20 y.o male.

I've been taking Strattera for a little over two weeks now, but my case is somewhat unique. I'm bipolar-II-cyclothymic, OCD as well as ADHD. So maybe my opinion isn't quite as heavily weighted since there are so many factors involved.

Where to begin?

I kicked off on 40mg. I am now on 100mg daily (60mg morning, 40mg afternoon) after two weeks.

Improvements:
-Increased IQ score within first week, in fact I couldn't believe how much I'd been missing on previous attempts.
-Mental clarity is improving, slowly.
-Motor co-ordination improving but still very far from good.
-Ability to read a book for an extended period improved marginally.
-Ability to manipulate small mechanical objects improved (I had to re-attach some keys to my laptop's keyboard after my 2y.o. brother ripped them off; I normally wouldn't have had a clue)
-Parents reported less vocal outbursts in general.
-Better judgement.
-Actually stopping to think about things and re-consider my habits.
-Shopping centers are tolerable now.
-Decreased fatigue.
-Greatly reduced impulse to smoke (dec. fr. 10-15/day --> 3-6/day)
-Blah blah blah, ad nauseum.

Side-effects, physical:
-Nausea during the first few weeks, has now subsided.
-Pain in the chest when agitated, sometimes severe
-Noticeably increased HR
-Sexual dysfunction, premature ejaculation, increased libido (although as always this was temporary, and was followed by a period of nil libido), a general dissatisfaction with sex as a result of these effects is now becoming noticeable.
-Increased thirst.

Side-effects, psychological:
-Not as easily agitated by small things, but when angered I become REALLY angered, this has gone to the point of psychosis a few times now and I've had to increase my dose of Lamotrigine (which I take for bipolar) twofold. However this may have been an effect of Zoloft withdrawal, as it was removed from my treatment regime to make way for Strattera. Either way, I attempted killing birds for the first time in my life - specifically tame seagulls and aggressive plovers nesting in my yard - and I normally love birds.

-SLEEP DISTURBANCE - sleep is generally shallow unless I am heavily fatigued, strange and frequent dreams often accompanied by actual physical activity during sleep, desire to sleep is greatly reduced,[insufficient sleep does not result in fatigue, which I feel may be aggravating my problems with agitation]

In addition to all of the above, being cyclothymic-bipolar, I experience periods of satisfaction with Strattera and then periods of extreme dissatisfaction. The positive effects are sometimes heightened and sometimes absent. If you are also a bipolar person, I would reconsider this drug.

Overall, I'd say it's too soon to tell for sure whether this is a viable long-term ADHD treatment for me. I still talk to myself, my thoughts still periodically race, my temper is probably worse than before, though my moods do not last as long (hard to tell what this is an effect of). Mental clarity and focus have improved to an extent, though it's nothing huge to me, more an effect from which others seem to benefit.

blah blah blah
will be back later
The Following User Says Thank You to whiteneptune For This Useful Post:
aarondev (05-02-11)
Old 07-30-08, 07:30 AM
Jr Member

jaspero is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubychild View Post
I was put on Strattera in junior high but went off it in high school and through college, so when I got married last year and started an office job and decided I needed help focusing, my new doctor just gave me an Rx for the dosage I was on before, 60mg. The first six weeks were sketchy, I didn't see a lot of difference (though my husband did) and I was super tired; but it got better and I felt a lot more grounded. BUT last month (I've been on it for about six months) we upped the dose to 80mg and the difference is AMAZING. I actually ran out of meds for three days, which is when I realized the extent to which Strattera helps me.

First of all, I was reminded what it's like to think of something and forget it instantly - ALL THE TIME. With Strattera, that rarely happens!! Which is ridiculous, as that used to just be my norm. I can actually remember something at night that I told myself to do that morning. I find that I can still multi-task up a storm but I don't forget the different things that I'm working on nearly so badly, and definitely can carry a task or thought through to completion (which was nearly impossible before). During the days that I was off it, my poor brain was jumping all over the place, just like it used to... it was awful!! Wierd how fast you forget what used to be. I couldn't hardly finish a thought and my speech was choppy because I was again trying to spit out thoughts as fast as they came so they wouldn't disappear.

I find that Strattera doesn't necessarily eliminate the thousands of thoughts from my brain - it slows them down and makes them sit nicely so I can work with them. It doesn't feel like my head is full of bratty little kids all clamoring for my immediate attention anymore! I could sing Strattera's praises from the rooftops. I can't believe what I used to live like!

You have just sumed up exactly how i feel
The Following User Says Thank You to jaspero For This Useful Post:
JSID (08-28-10)