ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 12-03-19, 04:09 AM
ADDvanced Member

Question is on a distinguished road
Does anyone here know anything about concerta, medikinet or strattera (atomoxetine)?

Im taking dexamphetamine but moved back home where it is not available except via special import, and so far all the doctors I have contacted will not consider the possibility of helping me to import the medication.

I have tried Ritalin, but have significant side effects to it (migraines near the end of the dose). I understand that concerta is the slow release version of ritalin, but what is the difference between it and medikinet? They both seem to be slow release versions of ritalin? How, exactly, do they differ?

And does anyone have any experience with strattera (atomoxetine)? That is the other medication available for ADHD in my country, but most psychatrists do not carry it and do not seem to want to prescribe it for some reason.

At the moment im thinking that its quite likely that slow release Ritalin will not work for me and I will have to try strattera. Has anyone taken strattera before? Did it work for you where ritalin didnt?
Old 12-04-19, 04:35 PM

chelona is on a distinguished road
Re: Does anyone here know anything about concerta, medikinet or strattera (atomoxetin

I tried all these medications and Ritalin LA/Adult works best for me.With Concerta I didn't like the peak in the afternoon,and Strattera gave me much more side effects than Ritalin did.I took Strattera about half a year,but the side effects didn't disappear.Headache with Ritalin disappeared after a week or so. I am still taking Ritalin for a about 10 years now,helps me a lot with concentration and focus.
Old 12-04-19, 04:38 PM

Re: Does anyone here know anything about concerta, medikinet or strattera (atomoxetin

Medikinet works only together with food,I didn't like that,I have breakfast though,but at lunch it's difficult with regular meals and I also found out that for me one Dosis Medikinet retard didn't last as long as Ritalin sr.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-19, 08:26 PM
mod-estly regulated

Thanked 5,450 Times in 2,993 Posts
someothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond repute

Strattera;
  1. Expensive
  2. Very effective for roughly 35%-55% is people ( whilst side effects are at bay, for me this lasted roughly 5 months then became troublesome / bordering on risky )
  3. Has severe side effects when present and poses significant risk when other conditions present

If your relatively healthy apart from the adhd, then you may wish to try it...

Sadly, some prescribers use it as a stepping stone ( AU ) before considering other "stimulant" medications... leaving little choice for some...
~ SB_UK ~
Old 12-05-19, 11:29 AM

Alphawave is on a distinguished road

Ritalin didn't work for me. It felt like I had 10 coffees and didn't do anything for focus and concentration.

Strattera has saved my life. It took 3 months for it to fully kick in. It perfectly treats my problems and has lowered anxiety markedly. I'm far more socially successful. What's more it lasts 24 hours. I take my dose at night. I can now say I feel normal when I'm on it. I wouldn't be without it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alphawave For This Useful Post:
namazu (12-05-19)
Old 12-14-19, 07:43 AM
ADDvanced Member

Question is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelona View Post
I tried all these medications and Ritalin LA/Adult works best for me.With Concerta I didn't like the peak in the afternoon,and Strattera gave me much more side effects than Ritalin did.I took Strattera about half a year,but the side effects didn't disappear.Headache with Ritalin disappeared after a week or so. I am still taking Ritalin for a about 10 years now,helps me a lot with concentration and focus.

Im confused, I thought concerta was supposed to be the one that evens it out throughout the day, whereas regular Ritalin LA/Medikinet has peaks and falls?
Old 12-15-19, 03:26 PM

Concerta usually works for about 12 hours- but with the peak in the afternoon.
Ritalin LA for me (that differs individually!) works about 8 hours and during this time I don`t have any special peaks and falls-but I makes sure to have a good meal and coffee at lunch, that helps.

I don`t need a peak in the afternoon, because work is done and I am doings sports then.

But maybe you could just try Concerta, maybe it is right for your needs? It`s always try and error with these meds...