ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-08, 06:12 PM

kaleidoscopic will become famous soon enough
Does anyone else hate seeing a psychiatrist?

This was the second time I've been to a psychiatrist for a meds prescription, and it was terrible. I don't understand how someone who talks for me for 40 minutes can think they know enough about me to give me drugs for my brain. 40 minutes? That's enough to take a family history and ask me a series of yes-or-no questions that I struggle to answer but don't have enough time to comfortably answer for myself.

I have a lot of reservations about taking meds, and it is so frustrating that my psychiatrist just breezed through everything so systematically instead of slowing down and helping me through my issues and really trying to get to know me. I understand that they have some sort of basic checklist of symptoms, but people are so complex, and everything is so subjective, and I feel like people in therapy have enough trouble as it is just expressing themselves--how are you supposed to figure everything out in 40 minutes?

Not only that but my psychiatrist overbooked today and so rescheduled me for an hour later. Then, to START the session, she goes, "Oh, your therapist gave me notes, but it looks like I won't have time to read them!" (Oh, great, I feel so confident about you now *sarcasm*). I expressed some reservations about meds, and she just rushed through a response in a very final tone which I felt uncomfortable contradicting (which admittedly may be my own fault, not hers). But she started to end the session with the most patronizing tone, saying--"Don't worry, I'm listening" *WINK*. Yeah? Listening? Way to even LOOK at my charts, or to ask me if I had any follow-up questions, or to even look up at me when I'm struggling to tell you my feelings. Bah; she shouldn't have to TELL me she's listening; she should actually reveal that throughout the sessions by the way she acts towards me and what she says.

I could look up anything she told me in that session on the internet. I wasn't looking for someone to talk to me the way she would talk to just anyone else. I wanted someone to talk to ME specifically and address my worries and concerns.

Meh. Maybe I just feel like both the psychiatrists I've been to have been so far immersed in academia and professional life that they've lost a basic sense of humanity or something.

*end rant*
(though I'd love a response or two)
Old 12-11-08, 06:34 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,779 Times in 1,010 Posts
Driver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does anyone else hate seeing a psychiatrist?

I've read your rant, and don't take my short reply to mean I'm dismissing your concerns, but I simply ask: why not see someone else? I know you see your psych for the meds, but perhaps consider a counselor or a psychologist on the side?
Old 12-11-08, 06:38 PM

Ah, I actually do see a therapist, Driver.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-08, 07:28 PM
Jr Member

ladykatyjs is on a distinguished road

Honestly, you are lucky you got 40 minutes. I have state-funded insurance so it really limited my choices of psychatrists. I got about 15 minutes, AT MOST my first appointment and I said "I've brought some report cards from 3rd grade to show you" (in order to establish how long I've been having the same kinds of problems) and he was like "i don't want to see them, I believe you" and then told me that I read too much and to stop reading and Googling and here try this med and see if it works for you. Well, of course it didn't. The next week was kind of the same except he gave me a different med and it HAPPENED to be the right one for me, but isn't that kind of a crap shoot?

I felt like it was a cattle call, but with my level of insurance, I had no other options. It's not pretty, but that's my story.
Old 12-11-08, 09:04 PM

BobRobertson will become famous soon enough

Your rant is completely justified. You are paying for that person's time and it sounds like you are not getting the attention you deserve.

My wife had a similar experience. We decided to find another doctor. The next was the same way so we looked gain. We got a recommendation from my wife's therapist. Turned out he is great. She's been seeing him for 5 years now. He always gives her his full attention during her appointments. He is responsive to her concerns.

One thing to keep in mind though is that psychiatrists are medical doctors whose purpose is to diagnose your condition and manage your medication. They tend to assume you are OK with taking meds (because you are in their office) and breeze over those worries. Any concerns about meds, they tell that the meds should be safe, assume that explains everything, and write the prescription.

I recommend that you also broach the topic of concerns with your therapist. Even though therapists cannot prescribe your meds, they should be familiar with how they work and their effects. We've come to see the therapist as the first line of care and the psychiatrist having a smaller role that is restriced to medication management. Really, the therapist may better equipped to handle your worries about medication.

That said, you would do well to see another psychiatrist. A doctor who over books and doesn't read your therapists notes isn't giving you the service you pay for. A good place to start is to ask your therapist for a recommendation.
Old 12-11-08, 09:42 PM
Contributor

BethanyBez is on a distinguished road

I think Bob and his wife had the right idea when they got a referral from his wife's therapist.

The ONLY psychiatrist I've liked is my current one, and he was referred to me by my therapist.

She kept telling me to go see this guy and I kept ignoring her because he doesn't take insurance. But let me tell you, any expense is worth not having to put up with the sorry excuse for doctors I've seen here in NYC. I'm glad I finally caved and handed over the fee because I LOVE my psychiatrist. And I never thought I'd say that!

I would definitely speak to your therapist or some friends seeing a psychiatrist in the area and try and get a referral rather than seeking one blindly. There are definitely a lot of quacks out there so you could really end up wasting a lot of time. I know I did.
Old 12-11-08, 11:53 PM

BobRobertson will become famous soon enough

My wife's psychiatrist also does not take insurance. I think that is common for good psychiatrists. Those who take insurance are forced to book a lot of patients to make up for the lost money (insurance is notorious for underpaying, especially to psychiatrists).

We are not rich by any means but we think this is money well spent to see this particular psychiatrist.
Old 12-12-08, 12:46 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

WarPhalange is a jewel in the roughWarPhalange is a jewel in the roughWarPhalange is a jewel in the rough

40 minutes? Mine spends 15 minutes with me.

You have to understand that a seeing a psychiatrist isn't about working through your problems, it's about getting the meds you need.

For that the psychiatrist needs to know whether any meds s/he gives you will kill you or not and whether there is a good chance they will help you or not.

If you need counseling, you'll have to see a counselor I'm afraid. I did that for a while, and the counselor really did help. I know you already said you are going to one, though.

What I have found is that the doctor is just a fail-safe so you don't kill yourself. Ultimately you have to decide which meds (if any) are good for you and in what doses and combinations, again with the doc being there to stop you from doing something dangerous.
Old 12-12-08, 01:09 AM

Knowing that 40 minutes is "good" compared to 15 minutes doesn't really make me feel that much better. It mostly just upsets me on behalf of the people who only get 15 minutes. I guess it's the whole system that really upsets me. While I understand that most all drugs for my brain are going to be experiments, I'd rather cut down on the degree of experimenting and at least make an educated guess as to what's going on. Anyway, she also said she was going to talk to me about diet, and she didn't. Then, she said she was going to prescribe me sleeping pills, and she forgot to do that, too. It was just a bad visit.
Old 12-12-08, 03:18 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

WarPhalange is a jewel in the roughWarPhalange is a jewel in the roughWarPhalange is a jewel in the rough

Yeah, what you described is a bad visit.

What could you possibly fit in 40 minutes or more unless you go into counseling territory? Sleep, diet, exercise, family history, allergies, yadda yadda.

You have a valid point that a quick survey isn't enough to do a full diagnosis, though. That's how I got diagnosed with depression even though my episodes lasted 1 or two days at a time, half a week max. My current doc said that doesn't really count so it has to be something else, blah blah blah.

But, if you don't like your doctor, find a new one. There is no reason why you should settle for a doctor you don't like. In my case, I know myself better than anybody else, so I feel only I can tell whether I really have ADD or something else, based on the symptoms, and only I can really tell if my meds are working. So I just need my doc to give me suggestions about medication and make sure I don't kill myself with them.
Old 12-12-08, 01:37 PM
ADDvanced Member

Tominal will become famous soon enough

Try jotting down the things you really want to cover on a piece of paper and bring it in during your office visit. The doctor knows how much time he has with you, and if you come right in and tell him you need to deal with a, b & c then he'll deal with (or dismiss) those issues in the allotted timeframe. This may not solve all your troubles, but at least you won't leave the office and suddenly remember that you forgot to ask about "issue b" again.

'Tis an imperfect world,

-tom
The Following User Says Thank You to Tominal For This Useful Post:
WarPhalange (12-14-08)
Old 12-13-08, 05:33 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

gnbeg has a spectacular aura aboutgnbeg has a spectacular aura about

The last time I saw a psychiatrist, about 5 years ago, it was very frustrating. I've been convinced that I have some form of ADD for quite awhile. So I went to this guy to get diagnosed. He was a jerk and made me fell like an idiot for thinking I might have ADD. I filled out his forms, turned them in and never returned for a followup.

Have a diagnosis appointment next month with a new doctor, recommended for Adult ADD. I'm dreading it. Hopefully it'll work out better than the last visit several years ago.
Old 12-14-08, 04:13 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominal View Post
but at least you won't leave the office and suddenly remember that you forgot to ask about "issue b" again.

-tom
I do this all the time!! It's so annoying!
Old 12-14-08, 05:02 AM

Stace will become famous soon enough

I honestly think that my psychiatrist has salvaged my life. He's the only one I've seen, so I can't be critical. I guess I'm really lucky
Old 12-14-08, 08:56 AM

Giulia is on a distinguished road

Hello boys and girls
I hate the psychiatrist I am seeing for meds. Not only I hate him, but he doesn't help me at all.
He told me and my mother : "I want only to care the ADHD part, for the rest, you have to manage yourself". Will I have to know by myself if I have to stop my antipsychotic ? I don't think so. So I'll see someone else, because it's unbelievable !!