ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Exercise and Nutrition > Nutrition
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-08, 01:56 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,792 Times in 1,934 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Diet and ADHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20trackedmind View Post
Kids are supposed to get 9 to 10 hrs sleep. Now, with the meds, my son gets about 11 hrs total. Bed by 9pm up at 8am everyday.
My son and I both get more restful sleep since we started taking Ritalin. That was one of the questions my diagnosing psychiatrist asked after my one month trial of medication so it must be relevant.

Phaedrus

Old 09-09-08, 01:01 PM

Unadefamosa is on a distinguished road

If you are looking for more nutrition related answers there are many reputable books and websites I would be happy to direct you towards.
Old 09-09-08, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imnapl View Post
My son and I both get more restful sleep since we started taking Ritalin. That was one of the questions my diagnosing psychiatrist asked after my one month trial of medication so it must be relevant.

My nephew, 4-years old, experienced the same effects after taking concerta.
The Following User Says Thank You to Unadefamosa For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (09-09-08)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-08, 02:22 PM

ZachsMom is on a distinguished road

Total F-diet advocate here :-) I wish I had known years ago how much this would have helped my DS, who is now med-free and doing SO well in school!

Plus, we had a beneficial side effect to the whole family doing the program: my non-target teen son also says he can think clearer! His words: "Mom, it's like coming out of a fog..."

I highly recommend this diet!
The Following User Says Thank You to ZachsMom For This Useful Post:
Tilly (09-11-08)
Old 09-11-08, 06:47 PM
Contributor

Tilly will become famous soon enough

Unadefamosa if you want to post some books on diet just pop it in. I think I have diet covered, but maybe someone else would like to know what you have found helpful.

I'd would be curious as to what diet or parts of diet you tried and how it was helpful.
Old 09-11-08, 06:52 PM
Contributor

Zach's mom, it's nice to see you here. Can you tell us specifically what changes you noticed in your family.

Did you have to make any other changes outside of stage 2. Ie remove gluten, caesin, salicylates etc?

Here is a link to a feingold thread that pretty much has my whole story in it. You might not have enough time on your hands.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...light=feingold
Old 09-11-08, 11:21 PM

I would love to post some reliable resources for current information about ADD and diet. The best source is actually a website that holds research articles: http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/search?sorts...ume=&firstpage=

I am a Nutritionist with a BS in Dietetic Science and in the beginning of my internship to become a Dietitian. The only diet related therapy I have followed-through with has been incorporating omega-3 fatty acid supplements into my diet; I don't eat enough fish because I cannot afford it.

That is all I have tried.
Old 09-12-08, 09:12 AM
Contributor

Unadefamosa, I did go to the link, but for some reason I couldn't open anything. Also it looks like they are selling each study and not sharing it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tilly For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (09-12-08)
Old 09-16-08, 11:43 AM

flytwenty5 is on a distinguished road

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could answer a question with my diet?

The problem is an irritable stomach mid-day, which I believe is due to what I'm eating for breakfast. I'm stacking on protein b/c it really helps my effectiveness in getting my day started. I think the problem is I am missing some other nutrients that might help me digest my food a little bit better. Any thoughts on what I am missing out on?

My Breakfast:
1 Protein Water (Sp. K H2O)
1 High Protein Cereal Bar (S. Beach)
1 70mg Vyvanse Capsule
2 Bottled Waters throughout morning

--

-flytwenty5
Old 09-16-08, 12:59 PM

Hi Flytwenty!

Might be overdoing the protein just a bit, but I am no nutritionist.

You should post a "new topic" about this so it's more likely to be seen - your question will probably get lost in the shuffle in this topic. ;-)

Best of luck!
Old 09-16-08, 02:13 PM
Contributor

fly- Do you think you could lack the enzymes needed to break down protein? Enzymestuff.com is a good resource.

I'm no expert on enzymes. Though I do use them and they help my son.

My understanding is that if you will see results within one month if they will help.

If you want post your typical breakfast and maybe folks could brain storm. For example are you eating alot of protein and some milk?

Not a bad idea to start a seperate thread so it shows up to others.
Old 09-16-08, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
Zach's mom, it's nice to see you here. Can you tell us specifically what changes you noticed in your family.

Did you have to make any other changes outside of stage 2. Ie remove gluten, caesin, salicylates etc?

Here is a link to a feingold thread that pretty much has my whole story in it. You might not have enough time on your hands.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...light=feingold

Hi Tilly.

We are late Stage One and plan to start stage 2 shortly as the results have been very impressive. I look forward to reintroducing items in stage 2 and further customizing my son's diet.

Specific changes I have noticed

- staying on task: school staff report Zach is able to focus on completing work assigned in class. Before, it would take him numerous reminders to the point of the teacher having to stand over him and talk him through; he used to "zone out" frequently.

- understanding and processing math concepts - a math worksheet was completely intimidating to him, even with the extra hours I worked with him to practice simple addition. He was in grade 5 and was still using his fingers to add. Now he is memorizing math facts , and although he's still working up to the current grade of math, at least he's working UP.

- creative writing: getting Zach to write a descriptive paragraph would be like pulling teeth from a T-Rex. Tears, frustration, defiance and resentment... and that was just from me lol - Zach was worse! It was always a dreadful experience for us both. This has improved to the point where we are still friends after writing about his summer vacation. I am hopeful more improvement is just around the corner.

- being responsible and wanting to help: "clean your room, brush your teeth, get moving, close the front door, come on let's go we're going to be late, please take your dish to the sink". Sounds familiar for any parent probably, but I was saying this constantly, and common sense safety things seemed unattainable for him. He seemed to have no desire to help, and when he was forced to, he did a very poor job. Now, he offers to help and takes more pride in what he does. And he now has the presence of mind to close the front door or gate when he comes in or goes out. I still have to remind him to clean his room and brush his teeth though! lol

- appetite: over the 2 years we had been medicating him, his appetite decreased and he was so skinny. He was also so picky about what he ate. He's now trying new food without complaint, his appetite has pretty much returned, and he is gaining some weight back. And although he still yearns for a Slurpee from the corner store, I can make up for that with yummy approved-ingredient milkshakes that he has fun helping me make at home!

- general behaviour: he seems to notice things more now. Little details like how the car in front of us has a license plate that spells WOW, or that those letters could stand for Went Out West. Participating in, or even starting, conversations about what might happen next in the movie we are watching. He NEVER did this before.... He would just kind of drift through life. He also seems less likely to have a meltdown when he gets frustrated; the "tools" i had given him in the past, like taking deep breaths or counting to 5... well he never really used them. The other day, his big brother was bugging him, and I actualy heard him count out loud to calm himself.

To some these might seem like little things, but these are BIG results in our world.

At this point, I'd like to tell everyone that I have NEVER been one to stick to a diet, and I have always lived a make-whatever-I-have-time- for, convenient, fast food kind of life. Like any parent I tried my best to choose what I thought was the healthiest thing I had time for.

But now I am doing this diet and making it work because I want a better life for my child, without medication if at all possible. I am making my own sauces from scratch, baking my own bread, seeking out artificial-free groceries. And I'm surprising the heck out of myself that I am, not to mention being pleased to find out it's not nearly as hard as I thought it would be. All it takes is a little planning in advance and stocking the right food.

I'm telling you, it's completely doable.... and what better motivation than providing your own family with food that helps YOU ALL grow in a healthy way, both mind and body!

Sorry for the long post,... thanks for giving me the opportunity to share my experience
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZachsMom For This Useful Post:
Khamy25 (12-11-15), lkngforanswers (11-01-10), Tilly (09-16-08)
Old 09-16-08, 08:26 PM
Contributor

Wow Zach's mom! What a thoughtful answer.

You really hit the jackpot with changing diet.
Baking your own bread, which I don't do, is alot of work, but I bet it makes you feel so good.

I hope you have continued success. I also hope you have good luck reintroducing the stage 2 foods. We have very few limitations as far as salicylates. We are gluten free, but at some point I will retest it again.

It's really good to have you here. I know alot of people helped by diet, but they aren't here to tell there story. Diet might not be for everyone, but I'm sure there are some folks who might benefit and don't know anything about it.

Thanks so much for sharing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tilly For This Useful Post:
ZachsMom (09-24-08)
Old 09-19-08, 09:01 PM
Contributor

I came across this u tube video of Doris Rapp who is prominent in the food and environmental allergy field.

Be forewarned it's a blast from the past. Remember the days of Phil Donahue. Him running down the isles on the show with his microphone in a Jerry Lewis type fashion. It's a trip back to the 80's. Ah the days of big hair and earrings.

If you don't believe in allergies as a potential root cause to behavior and learning problems you might enjoy the nostalgia of it all. Enjoy!

Btw- There are probably more current Doris Rapp videos I just don't have the links. I know she was on Larry King as well.
Old 09-24-08, 03:46 PM

Tilly, thanks for the video!

Oh, about the bread.... it's not hard at all to do; in fact Zach made his own bread 2 weeks ago and it was easy as pie lol.

Here's a link to a video of the bread he made - it's a really cute video of a little boy named "Fin" who mixes and bakes hiw own bread. This is the recipe and method Zach followed and his bread turned out amazing!

================================

Also, a little update: Last night, we had homemade pizza. Zach would normally never eat anything on his pizza except cheese and sauce. Well since tomatoes are strictly off the diet for stage one, I made this roasted red pepper and garlic base sauce, then cooked up some chicken pieces with a few spices. Made up my pizza dough and topped it with the sauce, chicken, red and green peppers, mushrooms, red onion and a variety of white cheeses.

I served it to him, expecting him to wrinkle his nose at it and pick off all the toppings, but he ate everything! Everything!!! Then 3 more pieces! I was astonished... not a complaint, not a morsel left on his plate, plus he asked if he could take the leftovers for his school lunch! I can't tell you how proud of him I was.

He has learned to try and enjoy different foods and flavors now, and his appetite is so much better these days. That in itself in itself makes this mom so happy she could cry. :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to ZachsMom For This Useful Post:
Tilly (09-25-08)