ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Exercise and Nutrition > Nutrition
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-08, 07:32 PM
Contributor

20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Diet and ADHD

OK yesterday I was gone all morning doing horse stuff, well I got home and my sone was, well, back to his normal self. I was so made because I know my husband gave him something and just won't admit it. Well, he finally admitted he gave him a P & J sandwich. And knowing my husband it was more J than anything else. His justification was, "the jam was sugar free" I knew it. I am kind of glad he did though because it just validated to me that I am not just a hysterical mother who just "wants" to see a change.

Follow this to the ADD Forums Get Fit Club:
http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...682#post627682
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 20trackedmind For This Useful Post:
4gotAgain (05-29-08), Tilly (05-28-08)
Old 05-28-08, 07:48 PM
Contributor

Tilly will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20trackedmind View Post
OK yesterday I was gone all morning doing horse stuff, well I got home and my sone was, well, back to his normal self. I was so made because I know my husband gave him something and just won't admit it. Well, he finally admitted he gave him a P & J sandwich. And knowing my husband it was more J than anything else. His justification was, "the jam was sugar free" I knew it. I am kind of glad he did though because it just validated to me that I am not just a hysterical mother who just "wants" to see a change.
Ah, that's when you know the diet is working. A good old slip up.
Hopefully the reaction didn't last long and your husband learned to stick to the plan.
Did the jelly have artificials in it or do you think it was the salicylates? It sounds like salicylates are the big trigger for you. Hopefully you'll find he does not have an intolerance to all of them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tilly For This Useful Post:
20trackedmind (05-28-08)
Old 05-28-08, 08:57 PM
Contributor

20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
Ah, that's when you know the diet is working. A good old slip up.
Hopefully the reaction didn't last long and your husband learned to stick to the plan.
Did the jelly have artificials in it or do you think it was the salicylates? It sounds like salicylates are the big trigger for you. Hopefully you'll find he does not have an intolerance to all of them.
It had artificial color and salicylates in it. And Corn syrup. CS is also a trigger for him. I noticed this the first week after I cleared the pantry. I kept stuff with CP in hopes he could handle it. But, I soon realized, after he would be calm for hours, then drink a 7up and go bonkers within the hour. That happend twice and I got the picture. After that last 7up and jelly incident he has had pretty constistantly calmer behavior. His impulsivity is much less intense!

But, on a good note. I found a replacement to 7up that he can have. Schweppes club soda and organic limeade mixed to taste. He thinks it is cool that I can now make soda and he does not react to it. Win win situation!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-08, 09:35 AM
ADDvanced Member

Wisefolly will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly
Thanks for the info about the fish. That's interesting..didnt realise that too much fish was bad for you. Apparently omega 3 and the essential fatty acids are really good..have you tried the omega 3 capsules or flaxoil..if so are they any good?
I'd research fish on your own. I know some has more mercury than others and I don't know that 3x per week is bad or good. All I know is you are only supposed to have tuna once a week. I take flax oil pills and I put flax seed in my youghurt with fruit when I'm not having cake for breakfast!
Yes, a lot of fish does have too much mercury in it, but if you can find fish oil that's been purified that might be a good bet. Also, larger predatory fish tend to have more mercury than the smaller fish. They get more into their systems because they get contaminants from their prey as well. The good news is that the larger fish are the ones most frequently overfished, so you are also helping the environment when you avoid those!

Here is a helpful list I found: Safe Fish CHEC List I know there is a pocket guide you can print out somewhere as well, but I don't have time to look for it now.

(I can't seem to get the quote feature to work right... hmmm...)

Last edited by meadd823; 06-23-08 at 02:50 AM.. Reason: HTML correction only, OCD moderators
The Following User Says Thank You to Wisefolly For This Useful Post:
Tilly (06-03-08)
Old 06-03-08, 11:31 AM
Contributor

Quote:

Here is a helpful list I found: Safe Fish CHEC List I know there is a pocket guide you can print out somewhere as well, but I don't have time to look for it now.
Thank you! That sounds very helpful. I just read it was the big fish you should avoid, but I didn't know why.

Last edited by meadd823; 06-23-08 at 02:56 AM.. Reason: HTML correction only, OCD moderators
Old 06-17-08, 02:04 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imnapl View Post
There are natural food restrictions in stage one. I haven't gotten to stage two yet.
How has it worked for you so far. I'm planning to start soon, but I'm soooo busy right now that it's just too hard to manage another thing.
Old 06-17-08, 02:06 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20trackedmind View Post
okay Tilly I also have a question. This withdrawl, can it effect your stomach? I notice when I put my son on the diet, he got horrible stomach aches at first and then the fun stuff. I did not think much about it then. When I saw the improvement in his behavior within the week, I just kind of put myself on it since I am with him all the time and I can't really eat that stuff in front of him. Well, guess what? I am dying here. Is my body detoxing. If so, I am never allowing my body to accumulate so much chemicals. It is just not worth going through this ever again.
Hey, how is it going for you now? What changes do you notice specifically? How long did the detox thing last? I'm afraid to try it too soon when I am under a lot of stress already if I have to deal with that on top of it.
Old 06-17-08, 09:10 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,792 Times in 1,934 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisefolly View Post
How has it worked for you so far. I'm planning to start soon, but I'm soooo busy right now that it's just too hard to manage another thing.
Detox? I'm not really sure what people mean when they talk about that in relation to diet. I tend to find that I don't miss things that are bad for me anyway.

Phaedrus

Old 07-25-08, 11:29 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisefolly View Post
Hey, how is it going for you now? What changes do you notice specifically? How long did the detox thing last? I'm afraid to try it too soon when I am under a lot of stress already if I have to deal with that on top of it.
Sorry I did not get back to you sooner. But, It only lasted about a week and afterwards I do feel great. I don't think it is common to get the stomach aches like my son and I did. Both of us have nervous stomachs to begin with. But, now that we are doing the additive free diet, we all feel great and really notice the difference when we "Cheat" because our son is not around.

The Following User Says Thank You to 20trackedmind For This Useful Post:
Tilly (08-25-08)
Old 08-16-08, 09:09 PM
ADDvanced Member

ILADHD will become famous soon enough

Strictly my opinion, best thing you can do is not too many carbs. Carbs make people gloomy.

Also, MAKE your kids follow sleep schedule, get them regulated. 10 to 6 or 11 to 7.

All this other stuff, again just my opinion, doesn't do squat. I believe in pro-biotics for helping your GI tract, but never did squat for my ADHD when I took them.

To date, meth or amphetamine still best treatment if kid needs something.
The Following User Says Thank You to ILADHD For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (08-27-08)
Old 08-16-08, 09:44 PM
Contributor

That is why my kids do both. But, you give my son corn syrup and it does not matter how much ritalin he has in him. He is out of control. Just my son. Not saying that is true for other people. He definatly is sensitive to certain chemicals and his little nervous system just gets overloaded. Even on the meds! Propably has nothing to do with his ADHD, that is why I think some parents think their children might not have ADHD, but rather food sensitivies. Some parents, that is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILADHD View Post
Strictly my opinion, best thing you can do is not too many carbs. Carbs make people gloomy.

Also, MAKE your kids follow sleep schedule, get them regulated. 10 to 6 or 11 to 7.

All this other stuff, again just my opinion, doesn't do squat. I believe in pro-biotics for helping your GI tract, but never did squat for my ADHD when I took them.

The Following User Says Thank You to 20trackedmind For This Useful Post:
Tilly (08-25-08)
Old 08-17-08, 12:58 AM
Contributor

Like I told you in the other thread, Please comment about parenting ADHD Kids when you actually have some adhd kids. Have you ever actually tried to get an over stimulated adhd kid to bed!!!!!!!!!!!! meds where off by 7 thank you very much!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILADHD View Post

Old 08-25-08, 10:03 PM
Contributor

20 track, what does your son do when he has corn syrup?
Just curious if he gets angry. That is a common corn syrup response in folks who are sensitive.

I agree with both of you. Sleep is important and it can be difficult to get an adhd kid to bed. Thankfully that is fixed for me and we do 8-7 here.
Old 08-25-08, 10:53 PM
Contributor

Kids are supposed to get 9 to 10 hrs sleep. Now, with the meds, my son gets about 11 hrs total. Bed by 9pm up at 8am everyday.

Corn syrup makes my son act autistic like. Vocal outbursts, arms flapping and moving all over the place, and impulsivly grabs everything in sight NONSTOP!!! He is like a reved up motor until it wheres off and the meds do not help this particular behavior. I do not think this behavior has as much to do with his ADHD as it has to do with the fact that he is sensitive to this kind of food. My daughter can eat any of this stuff and her behavior does not change a bit. Some kids are sensitive and others aren't i guess.

Quote:
Just curious if he gets angry. That is a common corn syrup response in folks who are sensitive.

I agree with both of you. Sleep is important and it can be difficult to get an adhd kid to bed. Thankfully that is fixed for me and we do 8-7 here.

Old 08-26-08, 01:53 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,792 Times in 1,934 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
My daughter is allergic to corn, as are many other North Americans, according to statistics. If she's lucky, she gets a stomach ache. Other times, ingesting corn has caused violent vomiting, enough for her to break blood vessels on her face. No change in mood or behavior, just physically ill.

Phaedrus