ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Exercise and Nutrition > Nutrition
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-08, 09:23 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,635 Times in 884 Posts
FrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud of
Re: Diet and ADHD

On the probiotics, "things" move along better, if ya get my drift! :-)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrazzleDazzle For This Useful Post:
4gotAgain (05-26-08), Tilly (05-26-08)
Old 05-27-08, 04:53 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,432 Times in 6,132 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Diet and ADHD - moderator note

If there is enough of an interest generated you may be able to have a thread similar to what the Dore folks do - the "F" word can be part of the title if you like some thing like

"Positive support thread for those on the Feingold deit/ Program" or simply "positive support for those using the dietary approach" - if you think of some thing catchier I am open.

I have seen several who feel dietary approach has been successful for them or their children - having a single location may be helpful.

Frazzle can tell ya about that guideline line marketing thing probably better than I can, she had to walk through the opening of the Dore thread and it was the first of it's kind here.

At first it may be rocky then again seeing we have had the hashing it out already you may get lucky and slide with having thread without too many interruptions

I can make a notation in the initial post that this is to be a debate free thread

I can do the title change and modifications if that is desired just PM me - other wise I may {read I will probably} forget.

This is the alternative therapy section which is all about support for those interested in or actively participating in threating their ADD via " alternative therapy"

The purpose of this section is different than the diagnosis section you were in before with SSEE

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
20trackedmind (05-27-08), 4gotAgain (05-27-08), Tilly (05-27-08)
Old 05-27-08, 04:58 AM

4gotAgain has a spectacular aura about4gotAgain has a spectacular aura about

Thanks. Great idea Meadd.

I was just wondering..Is there a difference between the Feingold diet and eating foods free of preservatives, additives and colourings?
Or are they both one and the same thing?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-08, 06:04 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,792 Times in 1,934 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4gotAgain View Post

I was just wondering..Is there a difference between the Feingold diet and eating foods free of preservatives, additives and colourings?
There are natural food restrictions in stage one. I haven't gotten to stage two yet.

Phaedrus

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Imnapl For This Useful Post:
20trackedmind (05-28-08), 4gotAgain (05-27-08)
Old 05-27-08, 06:32 AM
Contributor

20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Diet and ADHD - moderator note

That would be so helpful!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadd823 View Post
If there is enough of an interest generated you may be able to have a thread similar to what the Dore folks do - the "F" word can be part of the title if you like some thing like

"Positive support thread for those on the Feingold deit/ Program" or simply "positive support for those using the dietary approach" - if you think of some thing catchier I am open.

I have seen several who feel dietary approach has been successful for them or their children - having a single location may be helpful.

Frazzle can tell ya about that guideline line marketing thing probably better than I can, she had to walk through the opening of the Dore thread and it was the first of it's kind here.

At first it may be rocky then again seeing we have had the hashing it out already you may get lucky and slide with having thread without too many interruptions

I can make a notation in the initial post that this is to be a debate free thread

I can do the title change and modifications if that is desired just PM me - other wise I may {read I will probably} forget.

This is the alternative therapy section which is all about support for those interested in or actively participating in threating their ADD via " alternative therapy"

The purpose of this section is different than the diagnosis section you were in before with SSEE

Follow this to the ADD Forums Get Fit Club:
http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...682#post627682
The Following User Says Thank You to 20trackedmind For This Useful Post:
4gotAgain (05-27-08)
Old 05-27-08, 06:36 AM
Contributor

20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light

Okay, this is silly, but I give my horse probiotics for his stomach ulcers he got on the track. I did not know you could get them from humans. What do they do again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrazzleDazzle View Post
On the probiotics, "things" move along better, if ya get my drift! :-)

Old 05-27-08, 06:44 AM

hey 20trackedmind, I did a little research on probiotics yesterday..

Probiotics are dietary supplements or foods that contain "good" bacteria. They are similar to those that are already found in your body. They help assist with with digestion and fight against bad bacteria.
Probiotics are also found in yogurt, fermented and unfermented milk, miso, and some juices and soy drinks.

There's also encouraging evidence that show probiotics helps to treat diaoreha, prevent and treat urinary tract infections, and to treat yeast infections, irritable bowel syndrome and a list of other problems present in the digestive tract.
The Following User Says Thank You to 4gotAgain For This Useful Post:
20trackedmind (05-28-08)
Old 05-27-08, 02:00 PM
Contributor

Yes, i was wondering the same thing. I have been using molasses to flavor and sweeten my cookies. Is that a good choice. It does not seem to bother my son.

Quote:
Thanks..Do you think that cane sugar, raw sugar is a better substitute to the white simple sugar? I've read that the white sugar we often buy is like a processed type..

I think you are right about the colourings in the lollies. They defnitely do have an effect on people, more than some might realise. And some people are more sensitive to it than others..possibly those with ADHD and those who are hyperactive..

What do you think about natural sugars such as those that are in fruits? Is your son allowed those? Does sugar effect your emotions, behaviour etc?

I am also an all or nothing person lol..i understand. Cake is very very tempting..mm especially chocolate cake.

Is any type of food that a person reacts to badly is a food sensitivity/allergy?

Old 05-27-08, 02:04 PM
Contributor

Well, that explains why my horse has been much happier since my trainer started to give them to him. Wow, this stuff works for pets also

Quote:
hey 20trackedmind, I did a little research on probiotics yesterday..

Probiotics are dietary supplements or foods that contain "good" bacteria. They are similar to those that are already found in your body. They help assist with with digestion and fight against bad bacteria.
Probiotics are also found in yogurt, fermented and unfermented milk, miso, and some juices and soy drinks.

There's also encouraging evidence that show probiotics helps to treat diaoreha, prevent and treat urinary tract infections, and to treat yeast infections, irritable bowel syndrome and a list of other problems present in the digestive tract.

The Following User Says Thank You to 20trackedmind For This Useful Post:
4gotAgain (05-27-08)
Old 05-27-08, 08:46 PM
Contributor

Tilly will become famous soon enough

Quote:

The feingold diet removes artificial colors, perservatives, and flavors from your foods, personal and household products. We use a product book that tells us what brand named items are entirely clean of even hidden ingredients. It also includes a trial elimination period of fruits and veggies that are high in natural salicylates. That is stage one and stage 2 of the program. If you aren't having enough success with that you look into the other big triggers. Such as gluten, caesin, msg etc.... You also get support through the organization.

So technically you aren't doing the feingold program but you are doing something good! If you drink coke 0 that much you might see an improvement from that alone.

Just remember there can be a detox period before you get better. In other words your behavior/moods can be worse for a little while.

I started my journey by removing red dye alone and I got good results. I just needed to go further because it didn't take care of all our troubles. I could see my son was reacting to other things and I didn't know what it was all about. I read books, but I needed more.

I started our diet not knowing a thing about it. I don't even know where I heard red dye was bad. I didn't even think it would work!
The Following User Says Thank You to Tilly For This Useful Post:
4gotAgain (05-27-08)
Old 05-27-08, 08:53 PM
Contributor

okay Tilly I also have a question. This withdrawl, can it effect your stomach? I notice when I put my son on the diet, he got horrible stomach aches at first and then the fun stuff. I did not think much about it then. When I saw the improvement in his behavior within the week, I just kind of put myself on it since I am with him all the time and I can't really eat that stuff in front of him. Well, guess what? I am dying here. Is my body detoxing. If so, I am never allowing my body to accumulate so much chemicals. It is just not worth going through this ever again.

Old 05-28-08, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
The feingold diet removes artificial colors, perservatives, and flavors from your foods, personal and household products. We use a product book that tells us what brand named items are entirely clean of even hidden ingredients. It also includes a trial elimination period of fruits and veggies that are high in natural salicylates. That is stage one and stage 2 of the program. If you aren't having enough success with that you look into the other big triggers. Such as gluten, caesin, msg etc.... You also get support through the organization.

So technically you aren't doing the feingold program but you are doing something good! If you drink coke 0 that much you might see an improvement from that alone.

Just remember there can be a detox period before you get better. In other words your behavior/moods can be worse for a little while.

I started my journey by removing red dye alone and I got good results. I just needed to go further because it didn't take care of all our troubles. I could see my son was reacting to other things and I didn't know what it was all about. I read books, but I needed more.

I started our diet not knowing a thing about it. I don't even know where I heard red dye was bad. I didn't even think it would work!
What are salicylates? and what effect do they have on the body?
Can see why they would eliminate household products like cleaners. Some have alot chemicals in them..

I wonder why and when they started putting dyes and colourings into food?

Yup, defnitely starting to see positive results..clearer, slower thinking, less impulsiveness and hyperactivity...Sleeplessness hasnt improved yet..

its great that the Feingold diet is helping your family so much
how long have u been on it now?
The Following User Says Thank You to 4gotAgain For This Useful Post:
DotwithADD (05-28-08)
Old 05-28-08, 02:12 AM
Contributor

Saclicylates are the natureral perservatives in fruit and some veggies that help protect it againt insects. This is what I am finding to be the biggest culprit for my son, that and corn syrup. Here is a website that helped me soooo much and it is free.

http://salicylatesensitivity.com/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 20trackedmind For This Useful Post:
4gotAgain (05-28-08), Tilly (05-28-08)
Old 05-28-08, 03:17 AM
Forum ADDvocate

DotwithADD is just really niceDotwithADD is just really niceDotwithADD is just really niceDotwithADD is just really nice

What about chocolate... there's caffeine in chocolate. So chocolate with caffeine and sugar could really make kids (and some adults) hyper. I used to be a chocolaholic (sp?) but now that I am post-menopausal (chemo-induced), I don't crave chocolate or sugar like I used to - just once in a while. I keep chocolate in the fridge in case I feel the need for chocolate (okay.. caffeine).

Oh, and I used to be a YoYo dieter because I'd lose interest or get tired of eating (or drinking) the same things... a person can get tired of "diet food" real quick - especially when we have ADD, I think.

What do y'all think?

SUCCESS COMES IN CANS NOT "CAN'TS"

Dx's: ADD, OCD,and MILD DEPRESSION, and occasional generalized anxiety (minor)

Breast Cancer Survivor since 2005
Old 05-28-08, 05:11 PM
Contributor

Tilly will become famous soon enough

Apparantly some folks do get stomache aches and diareah from detox. I didn't notice detox with my son.

We have been on the feingold program for over a year now. I started removing artificials on my own a year and a half ago. I really didn't know what I was doing so I joined feingold for help.

Chocolate- some folks react to the artificials in unapproved chocolate. My daughter gets migraines when she eats chocolate with vanillin in it.
There are some who have trouble with chocolate that is free of artificials. It seems folks can have intolerances to almost anything.

I don't know that I get bored with food. I get busy or I get craving junk.
The cravings are always my down fall.

I don't eat food with artificials in it anymore. Seeing what happend to my son scared me. I suppose I have it when I eat out or at parties, but that's it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tilly For This Useful Post:
20trackedmind (05-28-08), DotwithADD (05-28-08)