ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Exercise and Nutrition > Nutrition
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-08, 09:19 AM
Contributor

Tilly will become famous soon enough
Diet and ADHD

This is a thread dedicated to experiences with diet.
It is okay to use the f word here (feingold) or any other diet word or book that you find has been helpful or not helpful.
If you would like to use this thread to problem solve your diet than ask questions.
This thread is not to be used to debate the effectiveness of diet or studies.
It is for personal experiences good or bad.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tilly For This Useful Post:
20trackedmind (05-24-08), 4gotAgain (05-24-08), adhd_programmer (11-29-10), DotwithADD (05-28-08), Marcia (12-28-09)
Old 05-24-08, 09:27 AM
Contributor

Re: Diet and ADHD

I'm just moving my response over from the school lunch thread to keep the school lunch thread as purely a lunch resource. Honestly this is more fun anyway. But hopefully we'll keep posting lunch ideas and help folks get their kids and themselves eating cleaner foods to improve their health mentally and physically.

4 got again asked about whether there was a true sugar allergy.

Sugar-
We all know the saying sugar makes kids hyper. I'm pretty sure scientists changed their mind on that one, but I don't have the proof or time to look for it.

However, I believe people were associating sugar as making kids hyper because they were becoming hyper after treats, but it's really the other ingredients in the treats that do the damage. So if your kid goes crazy after a bag of m&m's you might think oh it's the sugar. When it's really the red dye, blue dye..... I haven't seen a bag of m&m's in so long I don't know if they even have blue (lol).

A body can be allergic to most anything. So I think for my son he just happens to be borderline allergic to sugar.
I have never noticed a reaction to sugar for him. At home he does not get much sugar at all, just that one dessert. Of course there is sugar in yoghurt etc. I really don't let him have cereal much. And I mostly stay away from corn syrup. So on an average day he does not get alot of sugar.

Even when he is at a party and has alot of clean sugar treats I do not notice a reaction.

But it does make me wonder if I could be truely allergic where this is often hereditary and I crave it so much. Compaired to his borderline allergy.

I often crave sugar when my eating habits go down the tube. When I drank caffinated coffee it was even worse. And I think when I start eating carbs I crave sugar too.

I'm going on a health kick as soon as my sprained ankle heals and I can exercise. I'm kind of all or nothing. Or maybe just an excuse to have more cake. probably the later. Must have sugar....

I highly reccomend allergy testing. It didn't do much for us because the foods my son has intolerances to did not show up on a test. But I know for many they do.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tilly For This Useful Post:
iwakawa (04-17-13)
Old 05-24-08, 09:37 AM

4gotAgain has a spectacular aura about4gotAgain has a spectacular aura about

once again great thread!

I'm kinda realising more..that some may have ADHD neurobiologically (spelling?) while for others it may be aggravated by the foods they eat.

I'm not 100% sure about this yet..but I think many of my symptoms (hyperactivity, impulsiveness etc) may be caused by my diet (bad food choices).

This can be shown by my eating patterns now. Too much coke zero which contains alot of chemicals, additives, preservatives, colourings..pretty much no nutritional benefits at all except maybe the water..
Also eating alot of processed foods, junk snacks etc. The worst reaction is to chocolate and ice cream which seem to make me very hyper and impulsive. Also my sleeping patterns are not consistent..I'm often not tired at night and I think my diet has a big part in that also..

I was a semi-vegetarian from around ages 15-18 and did not display the behaviour patterns that i do now. It was one of the more successful periods of my life in all areas..sports, schoolwork, homelife etc. During that time I did eat fish (around 3 times a week) and chicken on the odd occasion as well as iron pills. I also tried as much as possible to stay away from processed foods and additives.

When I was younger..aged 1-5? I was not allowed any food colourings as it made me really hyper..other than that I was a well-behaved child.

I am going to go on a little trial natural diet..probably semi-vegetarian again..though defnitely will be eating fish at least 3 times a week. Omega 3 and the essential fatty acids are good for the mind and memory etc. Also chicken on the occasion. I'm also going to try and stay away from anything processed, colourings, additives, preservatives etc.
If it helps, I will probably stay eating natural.

Excercise is also very beneficial so will be adding more exercise to my day too..

Does anyone else eat natural or have special eating plans? How does it help you?
How do you make sure you get enough protein and iron? Do you find it costs alot more?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 4gotAgain For This Useful Post:
20trackedmind (05-27-08), iwakawa (04-17-13), Layla771 (07-25-10), made_of_sequins (09-15-08), Tilly (05-24-08), varied_in_style (10-12-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-08, 10:08 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4gotAgain View Post
once again great thread!

I'm kinda realising more..that some may have ADHD neurobiologically (spelling?) while for others it may be aggravated by the foods they eat.

I know my son still has add, not so much the h. I believe I have it myself but not with an official diagnosis. Put it this way we could share your name. And I assume many of my family has it, but they come from rural areas where education is poor, medical treatment not so good. So they would have no official dx either. Lots of dyslexia in my hubby's family, including my hubby.

With diet, myself, hubby and my son's teacher agree that my son is able to control his add. She said there was a group of unfocused kids in the classroom and my son was not one of them. Boy did I feel good.

This can be shown by my eating patterns now. Too much coke zero which contains alot of chemicals, additives, preservatives, colourings..pretty much no nutritional benefits at all except maybe the water..

Please please get rid of the coke zero. That alone might make you feel so much better. Get some seltzer water that is naturally flavored. I don't know all the bad ingredients to look for though other than the ones in the lunch thread.

If you go cold turkey I bet you'll stop craving the coke zero.

Also eating alot of processed foods, junk snacks etc. The worst reaction is to chocolate and ice cream which seem to make me very hyper and impulsive. Also my sleeping patterns are not consistent..I'm often not tired at night and I think my diet has a big part in that also..

Your probably right. I would look at the artificial ingredients in the ice cream first and then tuck into the back of your mind that you could have a caesin problem.

I was a semi-vegetarian from around ages 15-18 and did not display the behaviour patterns that i do now. It was one of the more successful periods of my life in all areas..sports, schoolwork, homelife etc. During that time I did eat fish (around 3 times a week) and chicken on the odd occasion as well as iron pills. I also tried as much as possible to stay away from processed foods and additives.

That sounds really healthy. I'm a vegetarian, but I eat eggs (because eggs are in baked goods and I wouldn't give that up!) Eating some chicken and fish sounds much healthier than what I do. But I just can't do it.

When I was younger..aged 1-5? I was not allowed any food colourings as it made me really hyper..other than that I was a well-behaved child.

Your lucky your mom figured it out. I think you already know what your answer to diet will be.

I am going to go on a little trial natural diet..probably semi-vegetarian again..though defnitely will be eating fish at least 3 times a week. Omega 3 and the essential fatty acids are good for the mind and memory etc. Also chicken on the occasion. I'm also going to try and stay away from anything processed, colourings, additives, preservatives etc.
If it helps, I will probably stay eating natural.

I think that's perfect. Yay!
What out for fish though. It's often dipped in artificial perservatives. You can ask at the counter, but they often lie. Ask to see the box it came from or go to a reputable fish store. For this reason I don't cook alot of fish anymore and if I do I get it at the health store. It's unfortunate.
I think Tuna would be a better choice if there are no hidden ingredients.
But you are only supposed to eat tuna once a week because of mercury.

How do you make sure you get enough protein and iron? Do you find it costs alot more?
When you know what regular store brands to buy that don't have hidden ingredients you save money. Or when you cook from scratch you save money and get healthier food.
My grocery bill went up. I went organic when I began feingold.
Others save money by cooking and buying regular store brands.

Maybe we could post iron and protein ideas on the lunch board? I do take an iron supplement and I think it's helping me alot.

So when are you going to put the plan in place? I'm excited for you. I think you are going to see results!

I appologize I had serious issues with the quote thing so I hope what I did is okay. I'll try to get it right next time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tilly For This Useful Post:
20trackedmind (05-27-08), 4gotAgain (05-24-08)
Old 05-24-08, 10:09 AM

Thanks..Do you think that cane sugar, raw sugar is a better substitute to the white simple sugar? I've read that the white sugar we often buy is like a processed type..

I think you are right about the colourings in the lollies. They defnitely do have an effect on people, more than some might realise. And some people are more sensitive to it than others..possibly those with ADHD and those who are hyperactive..

What do you think about natural sugars such as those that are in fruits? Is your son allowed those? Does sugar effect your emotions, behaviour etc?

I am also an all or nothing person lol..i understand. Cake is very very tempting..mm especially chocolate cake.

Is any type of food that a person reacts to badly is a food sensitivity/allergy?
The Following User Says Thank You to 4gotAgain For This Useful Post:
20trackedmind (05-24-08)
Old 05-24-08, 10:23 AM

It's great to hear your son is doing so well. It shows that his diet has really helped him. He's lucky that you found out about all this..sounds like the improvements have changed his life around..
Memory problems..lol yeah, that i do understand..apparently omega 3 is good for that?

I probably should go cold turkey with the coke zero. We dont have seltzer water here..what is that?

What is a caesin problem?

Great..how long have you been vegeterian for? Is it for health reasons or animal rights etc? I wish i could eat eggs but I don't like them...especially the yolk part..

Thanks for the info about the fish. That's interesting..didnt realise that too much fish was bad for you. Apparently omega 3 and the essential fatty acids are really good..have you tried the omega 3 capsules or flaxoil..if so are they any good?

I'm going to start the new diet first thing tomorrow. I had my last coke zero today..Its scarey but exciting.. I will post my results up on here, most probably..

Once again..thanks for the info
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4gotAgain For This Useful Post:
20trackedmind (05-24-08), Tilly (05-25-08)
Old 05-24-08, 08:47 PM
Contributor

20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light

Tilly wrote-
I really don't let him have cereal much. And I mostly stay away from corn syrup. So on an average day he does not get allot of sugar.

If my son gets corn syrup it is all over He loses all impulse control. For the life of me I can not figure out why. It is in everything! I did find a cereal that did not have CS in it. So at least I have something I can put in a baggie for road trips or a "barn snack". "Barn snacks" are the food that keep my son satisfied for a short time so mommy can have a few minutes of horsey time!

Follow this to the ADD Forums Get Fit Club:
http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...682#post627682
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 20trackedmind For This Useful Post:
4gotAgain (05-25-08), Tilly (05-25-08)
Old 05-25-08, 02:18 AM

Today was the first day on the natural diet.
I had an apple for breakfast on the run. Lunch was a carrot, cheese, lettuce, tomato sandwich. For afternoon tea I had a banana. I'm planning on having some bread rolls and vege stirfry for dinner. I'm on a bit of a caffeine withdrawal. I'm kind of craving it but not going to give in lol..
As far as results go, I felt more focussed today and have had clearer, less fast paced thoughts. I also had better impulse control, not just in actions but thoughts (not delving off into daydreams as often). My body seems to be detoxing itself.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4gotAgain For This Useful Post:
auntchris (01-14-10), Tilly (05-25-08)
Old 05-25-08, 10:55 AM
Contributor

I probably should go cold turkey with the coke zero. We dont have seltzer water here..what is that?
Maybe that's not the right word. You know fizzy water with natural flavor. Or try lemon in your water.

What is a caesin problem?
milk products. But I'd just stick to what your doing right now. You don't want to do too many things at once.

Great..how long have you been vegeterian for? Is it for health reasons or animal rights etc? I wish i could eat eggs but I don't like them...especially the yolk part..
I have been a veggie since high school. Okay I'll date myself. I just had my 20th class reunion.

Thanks for the info about the fish. That's interesting..didnt realise that too much fish was bad for you. Apparently omega 3 and the essential fatty acids are really good..have you tried the omega 3 capsules or flaxoil..if so are they any good?
I'd research fish on your own. I know some has more mercury than others and I don't know that 3x per week is bad or good. All I know is you are only supposed to have tuna once a week. I take flax oil pills and I put flax seed in my youghurt with fruit when I'm not having cake for breakfast!

I'm going to start the new diet first thing tomorrow. I had my last coke zero today..Its scarey but exciting.. I will post my results up on here,
most probably..
You can do it. If you want report to us so you feel accountable. If that helps.
4gotAgain (05-26-08)
Old 05-25-08, 11:23 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Today was the first day on the natural diet.
I had an apple for breakfast on the run. Lunch was a carrot, cheese, lettuce, tomato sandwich. For afternoon tea I had a banana. I'm planning on having some bread rolls and vege stirfry for dinner. I'm on a bit of a caffeine withdrawal. I'm kind of craving it but not going to give in lol..
As far as results go, I felt more focussed today and have had clearer, less fast paced thoughts. I also had better impulse control, not just in actions but thoughts (not delving off into daydreams as often). My body seems to be detoxing itself.

That's terrific! You can do it!
Your right, many people experience a detox period.

You had asked about protein. I keep almonds in a jar on my counter and in a bag in my car. If my memory serves me correctly, they have omega's and they are a healthy fat. You could stuff a spoonful of peanut butter in your mouth before you run out the door or put it on a bagel or toast.

I did look up what vitamins do for your body, and what foods you get them from at this website.
www.vivo.colostate.edu/hbooks/pathphys/misc_topics/vitamins.html
With my veggie diet I probably lack vitamin b12 as well as the omegas. So I started taking it a month ago. I also started taking iron because I can tell I'm low in it. For a couple days in a row I sleep all day and last month I literally was almost too tired to walk for an entire day. I feel so much better! My memory is getting better. I hope it continues. In the winter I will take vitamin d too.

I also started taking a probiotic. Don't know if that is helping. I started a week ago.

Of course this makes me feel like I'm turning into my dad. He literally takes 17 vitamins twice a day. I call it the "vitamin show" because he lays them out on a paper towel and has a certain movement he makes when he takes them. I guess he is making up for his frozen dinners (lol).

Please help me if I start to do that. It cannot be healthy.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tilly For This Useful Post:
4gotAgain (05-26-08), 7eeing7evens (02-07-14), auntchris (01-14-10), iwakawa (04-17-13)
Old 05-26-08, 06:01 AM

Thanks.
The website link was very helpful.

When you say pro-biotic do you mean the small milk type drinks with pro-biotic. Or do they also come in another form?

I have the opposite problem..I don't sleep enough. Hopefully the diet change will help.

Good to hear the iron and b12 pills helped you
When I was veg, I was iron-difficent for a while also. I took iron pills and had chicken occasionally which helped..especially while I was training for sport..
I read that you can tell if someone is iron difficient is the inner eye lining, which is normally pink, is a pale colour.

Lol yeah..i guess the ideal way of getting all the essential vitamins are through the foods we eat but those vitamin pills are very helpful, especially for the vegeterian diet.
Do you know if they add any other ingredients in the pills? Or are they just straight iron (if they are iron pills)?

Instead of coke zero and sugary teas, I've been drinking jasmine green tea. It doesn't taste as good but I'm sure it's alot better for me...Do you drink green tea or any other kind of herbal teas? what do you prefer?

Thanks for the support and advice.
Old 05-26-08, 07:46 AM
Contributor

Quote:

When you say pro-biotic do you mean the small milk type drinks with pro-biotic. Or do they also come in another form?
I am using the pill form. I am guessing I wouldn't like the drink.
I also give one to my children.

I have the opposite problem..I don't sleep enough. Hopefully the diet change will help.
by m
Removing color alone fixed my sons sleep problems. You sound sensitive given what you said of your childhood. I think you'll see results.
If not there's melatonin, but I use l-theanine which is a similar make up to green tea. It is supposed to help with calming, focus, and sleep. For sleep it doesn't make you drowsy it just relaxes you so that you can sleep. I take it if I have wine. I don't sleep well after drinking wine.
Also if I get a caffinated coffee istake I get the jitters and feel horrible and it fixes that.

Good to hear the iron and b12 pills helped you
When I was veg, I was iron-difficent for a while also. I took iron pills and had chicken occasionally which helped..especially while I was training for sport..
I read that you can tell if someone is iron difficient is the inner eye lining, which is normally pink, is a pale colour.
That's interesting. I'll have to look in my eyes. I might not be deficient anymore though.

Lol yeah..i guess the ideal way of getting all the essential vitamins are through the foods we eat but those vitamin pills are very helpful, especially for the vegeterian diet.
Do you know if they add any other ingredients in the pills? Or are they just straight iron (if they are iron pills)?
I don't know I just grabbed the bottle that said Iron on it. Am I missing something. I don't know alot about vitamins. I'd like to learn more.

Instead of coke zero and sugary teas, I've been drinking jasmine green tea. It doesn't taste as good but I'm sure it's alot better for me...Do you drink green tea or any other kind of herbal teas? what do you prefer?
I'm just trying to drink more water.
I drink some tea. I like decafe breakfast tea, but I don't know that it has the same amount of anti oxidents as green tea. Maybe someone else has some favorite teas that have health benefits. That's a good question. Anyone?
Did you see MGDAD's post on this book healing the childhood epidemics by ken Bock. I'm only part way into it, but so far it's really good.
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40979
4gotAgain (05-26-08)
Old 05-26-08, 09:06 AM

I was looking up iron deficiency..
Apparently..
"approximately 20% of women, 50% of pregnant women, and 3% of men are iron deficient."
"In addition to feeling tired and having less energy, the person may have pale skin, gums, nail beds, and eyelid linings."

I don't know I just grabbed the bottle that said Iron on it. Am I missing something. I don't know alot about vitamins. I'd like to learn more.
I'm not sure if there is anything added to the vitamins. It would be interesting to find out. I wonder how they get the vitamins into the pills?
The only thing i do know from the little I have read is, that its better to get as many nutrients as possible from a healthy balanced diet. And if any defficincies then use supplements..apparently?
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle1050615.ece
the link above may not be fully conclusive and not something I'm sure I agree with yet. It's just something I came across. What do you think?

Thanks for the link to the book. Very interesting
Old 05-26-08, 10:25 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,635 Times in 884 Posts
FrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud of

4GA, probiotics also come in a pill form. My son and I have been taking them for a while along with our regular supplements. You can pick them up at the health food store. I prefer the ones that do not need to be refridgerated, as those that need to be; you never know if they made it all the way to the store at the correct temp, and can you get them home in time to not have killed off some of viability? I don't know how they are made into a pill that doesn't need to be kept cold, but I've found those work the best. :-)

Also, you can find some really good kinds of nuts to have on hand for snacks as well. I keep them frozen in little ziplock snack bags. They can go rancid easily. I also have learned to like the raw forms of nuts (unroasted/without the added oils) like almonds, cashews, squash-seed nuts (forget what they are called) sunflower seeds, etc. There are also nut butters made out of cashews and almonds, and they are vERY good! I used to make my son "peanut butter" cookies with them and oat flours! YUM! Go to the health food store and experiment and have fun!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FrazzleDazzle For This Useful Post:
4gotAgain (05-26-08), auntchris (01-14-10), Tilly (05-26-08)
Old 05-26-08, 12:11 PM
Contributor

Thanks frazzle. I have refrigerated probiotics now and I'll get the ones you are reccomending for my next batch.

Frazzle what improvements have you or anyone else noticed from probiotics if any.