ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Scientific, Philosophical & Theoretical Discussions > Science in the Media
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Science in the Media This forum is for articles and stories of scientific importance; open discussion is encouraged

Old 10-06-07, 08:52 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

hollyduck is just really nicehollyduck is just really nicehollyduck is just really nicehollyduck is just really nice
Dangerous DNA: Genes linked to suicidal thoughts with med use

Science News Online
Week of Oct. 6, 2007; Vol. 172, No. 14

Dangerous DNA: Genes linked to suicidal thoughts with med use
Bruce Bower

Two gene variations appear frequently in depressed patients who contemplate killing themselves during treatment with a common antidepressant medication, a new study finds.

In the study, reports of suicidal thoughts occurred from 2 to 15 times as often in antidepressant-treated patients with the key gene variations as in patients without them, say psychiatrist Gonzalo Laje of the National Institute of Mental Health in Bethesda, Md., and his colleagues. Participants received citalopram, a widely prescribed antidepressant related to medications such as fluoxetine (Prozac).

"These findings need to be replicated before we can devise a genetic test to determine who's at risk for suicidal thoughts during antidepressant treatment," Laje says.

The study identifies two crucial genes that contribute to the formation of cell receptors for glutamate, a chemical messenger in the brain that has been implicated in antidepressant effects. Variants of these genes apparently promote suicidal thinking only in depressed people taking antidepressants, the researchers conclude in the October American Journal of Psychiatry.

Laje's team studied 1,915 depressed patients recruited from medical facilities across the country for a federally funded trial. Participants received standard doses of citalopram for up to 14 weeks.

The researchers took samples of patients' blood and examined variations in the genetic code at 768 sites on 68 genes that possibly contribute to depression.

Frequencies of various gene versions in the 120 participants who developed suicidal thinking during the trial were compared with DNA patterns in those who did not. Prior studies have estimated that 4 percent of people taking antidepressants start to think about suicide.

Individuals typically inherit two copies of each gene, one from each parent. Some possess two versions of the same gene, while others have a pair of identical genes.

The highest incidence of suicidal thinking occurred in the roughly 1 percent of patients who had inherited at least one variant copy of the first glutamate gene, with or without variant copies of the second glutamate gene. About one-third of these individuals exhibited frequent suicidal thinking.

About 41 percent of participants had one or two variant copies of the second glutamate gene but none of the first. Of these individuals, roughly one-fifth developed thoughts of death and suicide.

A majority of participants—58 percent—had neither high-risk gene version. Fewer than 5 percent of those individuals reported suicidal thinking during treatment.

At a genetics conference next week, Laje's team is to report on two additional gene modifications linked to suicidal thinking in antidepressant-treated patients.

Other researchers who have tracked suicidal thinking among several hundred depressed children and teenagers treated with antidepressants might now try to obtain DNA from those youngsters in order to confirm the new findings, remarks psychiatric epidemiologist Myrna Weissman of Columbia University.

Further research may also yield a genetic test for the likelihood of antidepressant-treatment success, Weissman says. Only 25 percent of patients in Laje's study who developed suicidal thoughts recovered from depression while taking medication, compared with 42 percent of patients who reported no such thoughts.

If you have a comment on this article that you would like considered for publication in Science News, send it to editors@sciencenews.org. Please include your name and location.

To subscribe to Science News (print), go to
https://www.kable.com/pub/scnw/ subServices.asp.

To sign up for the free weekly e-LETTER from Science News, go to
http://www.sciencenews.org/pages/subscribe_form.asp.

References:

Laje, G., et al. 2007. Genetic markers of suicidal ideation emerging during citalopram treatment of major depression. American Journal of Psychiatry 164(October):1530-1538. Available at http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/...ll/164/10/1530.

Sources:

Gonzalo Laje
Genetic Basis of Mood and Anxiety Disorders
National Institute of Mental Health
35 Convent Drive, Room 1A206
Bethesda, MD 20892-3719

Myrna Weissman
Columbia University
NYS Psychiatric Institute
Room Kolb 163, Unit/Box: 24
1051 Riverside Drive
New York, NY 10032
Old 10-06-07, 09:11 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,450 Times in 1,165 Posts
~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold
thank goodness I don't have that gene :-)

CHINESE PROVERB
Old 10-06-07, 10:05 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,431 Times in 6,131 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute
I have never had a positive experience with antidepressants. That is why I want to reach through the computer screen and slap people who claim things like wellbutrin work as well for ADD and stimulant medications. I will not deny they may for some people but for other people antidepressents are some thing to be avoided.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-07, 02:45 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

hollyduck is just really nicehollyduck is just really nicehollyduck is just really nicehollyduck is just really nice
I've seen friends and relatives on antidepressants, and don't like the effects I see. On the other hand, I suppose I know many others using them and it doesn't show. Anyway...

Ducky
Old 10-06-07, 03:59 PM
Banned

Matt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really nice
Re: Dangerous DNA: Genes linked to suicidal thoughts with med use

Antidepressants induce mania, so I have no objections to society demonizing the use of them, for those they help, they are good, but they make me insane.
Old 10-07-07, 05:39 PM

Thanked 6,502 Times in 4,746 Posts
SB_UK has disabled reputation

one class of antidepressants do not affect me.
Another induced an asthma attack which lead to the death of my first dog who was with me on the road.

I detest tem for other reasons though -
for the ease with which one is prescribed them -
when better medical practice would have been to investigate the issues first.

Too easy

'Doctor Doctor'
'I am depressed'
'Take one of these - and go away'.
Old 10-08-07, 06:06 PM

Thanked 6,502 Times in 4,746 Posts
SB_UK has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyduck
The study identifies two crucial genes that contribute to the formation of cell receptors for glutamate
picked up in another of Holly's threads

glu1r - Phoshphates added
with NE
->as-> basis for memory of events of emotional charge ->

-> http://addforums.com/forums/showpost...93&postcount=2