ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 02-21-07, 09:40 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

netsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the rough
Share your Ritalin Success Stories

Unfortunatly mine was a failure. Hope to see some really great successes here...

Last edited by netsavy006; 02-21-07 at 09:54 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to netsavy006 For This Useful Post:
CBDialog (01-08-15), meisam317 (03-12-13)
Old 03-16-07, 08:47 AM

Thanked 1,450 Times in 1,165 Posts
~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold
at first I HATED it..I really really did...the terrible feeling of wanting to sleep as it wore of made me miserable...I then realized the complete clarity I had for a while before it wore off was worth remembering..
I tried mixing it slowly with dex...and got the clarity I craved so badly..
as the months wore on I tried the ritalin every now and again on it's own..and I gradually got used to it..
Now I can take it, and when I feel the yuk bit, take the next dose. I am very very very happy with it.
I prefer it to the dex because it allows me to sit, read, focus, learn...for a few hours non-stop at a time ;-) I couldn't ask for more..
The dex is great for helping me sit still, and relax..they are both great medications, and I can now use them according to what situation I find myself in, and the outcome I require..

CHINESE PROVERB
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ~boots~ For This Useful Post:
a.sasan (03-26-13), meisam317 (03-12-13), Naela84 (11-13-13), ya-ya (08-26-10)
Old 03-17-07, 12:15 PM

Swede63 has a spectacular aura aboutSwede63 has a spectacular aura about
It's encourging to read your positive experience about Ritalin Tracy. I am supposed to go on it next week and I've been a little freaked out (causing all sort of trouble here on the forums ) I think I'll have to refer back to your post once in a while to remind me that it's going to be alright even if the Ritalin doesn't work maybe I can try something else or add on.
O.K. take deep breaths . . . relax
Thanks
Old 03-17-07, 06:20 PM

MeGgHeAd is on a distinguished road
My Brother's Success Story

My brother was diagnosed at Age 8 with ADHD. He has been taking Ritalin for almost 20 years now. He had an amazing response to it. They tried him on Dex, but it didn't work nearly as well as Ritalin did. Ritalin was the right medication for him.
Old 03-17-07, 09:24 PM
ADDvanced Member

spacedout is on a distinguished road
Ritalin was the first ADD med I took. It was like somebody gave a half-blind hearing impaired person some really great glasses and a cochlear implant. Amazing. I had some problems with the side effects and short duration, so I switched to Adderall, which gives me more stability. I will go back to Ritalin in a crunch though because even though Adderall is more steady, Ritalin is more effective. I will always have respect for this medication, as it really works.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spacedout For This Useful Post:
Naela84 (11-13-13), NZgirl (05-25-14), reboxetine89 (08-08-17)
Old 03-19-07, 01:23 AM

Thanked 1,450 Times in 1,165 Posts
~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede63
It's encourging to read your positive experience about Ritalin Tracy. I am supposed to go on it next week and I've been a little freaked out (causing all sort of trouble here on the forums ) I think I'll have to refer back to your post once in a while to remind me that it's going to be alright even if the Ritalin doesn't work maybe I can try something else or add on.
O.K. take deep breaths . . . relax
Thanks
Swede..it took me a while to be able to say "yep, it works, and I like it"
months infact..but now I prefer it over the dex

It's a slow process sometimes to find the right medication ...so, good luck, and take the deep breaths, try to relax, and don't give up on it too quickly if you can persevere slowly foward

CHINESE PROVERB
The Following User Says Thank You to ~boots~ For This Useful Post:
Naela84 (11-13-13)
Old 03-23-07, 11:42 PM

HinB is on a distinguished road
Do effects happen this fast

Hi brand new poster. This is my second day and I am already feeling some sort of effect. Took about 3O minutes to start feeling an effect, and After about an hour it felt like some sort of switch went off in my mind. Does it happen that fast or is it some sort of placebo effect. I was able to focus and it felt like some sort of anxiety had lifted off me. I was able to complete the task of cleaning and organizing my office in about two hours, which before ritalin I had struggled with for the past 7 years. Which was mainly do to the fact that I would start something and find myself doing something totally off task and wondering Why I am doing that and forgetting what I had started.
Today my wife gave the usual invite to go do something which I usually turn down because I find it so boring. It was a trip to see a new daycare center for my son and I went. My wife commented after, that I didnt complain about staying too long and making my usual complaints about how much longer will we be here. My wife also said that I appear calmer and I noticed I interact better with her. She says I usually ignore her and have seemed more attentive the past two days. In general I found before yesterday that I have very little tolerance for conversation as I would get very anxious that the person would know that I was not paying attention.
There are some uncomfortable body effect, such as I feel a little jittery but that is less today. The effect of the medicine is pretty subtle and seems to wear off fairly quickly, but I am still at a quarter of the dose that the doc says I can go to. I actually have a Ph.D that I was mainly able to get because I had a very hands on advisor and he micromanaged me and pretty much mapped out a plan for me each day. When I did my postdoc I pretty much self destructed because I was on my own and was expected to supervise others. I had to quit the job thinking there was something wrong with my character. That my problems were do to a lack of will and perseverance, but it seem like the harder I worked the more anxious I became and the less I was able to focus. I am sorry for rambling but am very excited to find a forum like this.

Take care
Dan
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to HinB For This Useful Post:
Bezuidenthustra (01-29-11), clarysage (03-02-18), kwalk (09-22-08), mayza1 (09-21-12), simpleblue (09-14-08), teremka (06-30-08), ya-ya (08-26-10)
Old 05-20-07, 05:40 PM
Jr Member

Super777 is on a distinguished road
My brother started taking it at age 5. Up until then, he was not able to sit down long enough to learn how to read. Within months he learned. It led to big improvements in behavior and learning.

I started taking it as a young adult a few months ago, and have had good results. I'd say my productivity at work is up 25%, and no signs of tolerence yet on the 10mg dose. My superiors are unaware of the medication, but seem to have been happy with my improved performance, and have given me 2 raises in these past few months.

I wish I would have started earlier. I drink less coffee now, which I think was a form of self-medication. Went from 1-3 cups a day to 0-2 cups, usually 0 or 1.

Only side effect is dry mouth. No big deal. Everyone should drink more water, and now I drink a whole lot, a gallon a day maybe.
The Following User Says Thank You to Super777 For This Useful Post:
yamaustin (01-09-15)
Old 05-20-07, 05:42 PM
Jr Member

Super777 is on a distinguished road
Dan: Your post describes my experience very well. The first dose was a very dramatic change, an improved focus and sense of "energetic calm."
The Following User Says Thank You to Super777 For This Useful Post:
reboxetine89 (08-08-17)
Old 08-30-07, 05:03 AM

Scatterlogical is on a distinguished road
I find that it's had wonders for me as a temporary solution. Growing up, my parents refused to consider it an option, but...
I have been on the Dore program, but lapsed with my exercises and had difficulty getting back into them. I was struggling with uni, and desperately needed a solution to get me through (which turned out to be futile anyway, but ah well...) - and so medication seemed the likely answer.
Despite some of the side effects, I feel it's made such a difference - even in the fact that I was self-medicating with copious amounts alcohol and caffeine, and it's been the first time I can ever recall that I don't feel that compulsion, and I haven't touch either in months without any effort of will. I was worried that I might abuse my ritalin, but it actually has the effect of nulling my urge to do that. I guess it's just what I needed.
I don't know about being on it long-term though, I do kinda resent the fact of needing something to function normally now.
Old 10-15-07, 12:29 PM
Contributor

lostranslation is a jewel in the roughlostranslation is a jewel in the roughlostranslation is a jewel in the rough
Re: Share your Ritalin Success Stories

I started Ritalin about two and a half weeks ago. The change has been dramatic! I can remember how to spell words that I didn't even know I could spell. I can do simple math without a calculator. I haven't gotten lost. I notice when somebody is talking to me. However, when the medication wears off, all that stuff goes "Poof."

Dx: Alcoholism, ADHD, PTSD & Major
Depression

Meds: Ritalin, and Wellbutrin. Med list may change without notice, because I don't notice stuff.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lostranslation For This Useful Post:
ADHDAlbert (09-13-11), Ohhhitsjustme (03-12-13)
Old 10-22-07, 04:08 AM

lovingfamily511 is on a distinguished road

Diagnosed as add about 4 months ago, finally putting the last piece into the puzzle of all my 'issues', hopefully anyway. My dr. did the by-the-book titrating from 5mg by 5mg every 7 days. I couldn't wait, and jumped to 10mg 2x a day after 2 days. That made a world of difference in my focus, interactions, and ability to 'stay' in a conversation -- for about 2 hours at a time. Finally got to 10mg 4x a day, and was still experiencing drop offs and not being medicated for the full day, so was tried on Concerta. First 36mg, then 54mg. 54mg worked relatively well but only for 11 hours and the dr would not allow taking any supplemental short acting doses. So, tried on LA, and that coverage works -- 40mg once a day, and 20mg once a day. The success: At this point I feel as though I lived 56 years of my life with a part of my brain missing, and now I've got it back. I don't ever want to go back to the old 'me', and I really find myself frustrated over not having been diagnosed when I was 7 years old and obviously in serious pain and confusion. My whole life would have been different, I think.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lovingfamily511 For This Useful Post:
Naela84 (11-13-13), Skedaddle (03-19-14), TheNarrator (04-16-14)
Old 12-03-07, 07:03 PM

ADD3D is on a distinguished road

I'm about to start on 10mg ritilan. I'm 62 and was diagnosed by a ADHD Psychologist a couple of months ago.
I'm an artist and my biggest worry was that drugs might some how screw up my creativity ability, but my Psych assured me that the drug is short acting and suggested I try it out for awhile only as I think I need it.. ie: when I have a hard time getting into my work, or am having trouble staying on a project, etc.
The comments I've been reading are very encouraging and I'll post back. Should start it later this week after by physican meeting on Thursday about my ADD Psych's recommendation. My Psych suggested I journal to try to keep track of the results and report back to him next week.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ADD3D For This Useful Post:
clanger (11-08-13), clarysage (03-02-18), Marisa R (04-13-17), pygmyprieta (02-21-13)
Old 12-21-07, 02:51 PM
ADDvanced Member

goingforit is on a distinguished road

Hi, I have been taking ritalin 3 times a day 17.5 mg each dose.

My experience has been nothing but positive. I focus better. I can plan. I follow up. I do better at work than ever. I am so amazed by the gradual change in my life that I actually sat down with my psychiatrist and cried. Yes, each dose lasts only for 3 or 4 hours. However, consistent medication means that I can concentrate throughout my working day.

I feel calm, effective, and able to concentrate on accomplishing my tasks. I am also more structured in my thinking and spend less energy on useless thoughts.

It is not a perfect drug. I do not like the rebounds. But, the medication has saved my life from going off track. For that I am deeply grateful to the manufacturers and the inventors.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to goingforit For This Useful Post:
Billy79 (07-27-16), clanger (11-08-13), clarysage (03-02-18), MarkuZ (11-10-10), mayza1 (09-21-12), Naela84 (11-13-13), riteshmisra (04-22-18)
Old 12-26-07, 01:36 AM

watt_the?! will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD3D
I'm about to start on 10mg ritilan. I'm 62 and was diagnosed by a ADHD Psychologist a couple of months ago.
I'm an artist and my biggest worry was that drugs might some how screw up my creativity ability, but my Psych assured me that the drug is short acting and suggested I try it out for awhile only as I think I need it.. ie: when I have a hard time getting into my work, or am having trouble staying on a project, etc.
The comments I've been reading are very encouraging and I'll post back. Should start it later this week after by physican meeting on Thursday about my ADD Psych's recommendation. My Psych suggested I journal to try to keep track of the results and report back to him next week.
jimi hendrix didnt have any creativity "issues"..

dex daily (just started) , escitalopram 40mg daily. Been on virtually everything for depression with marginal success - even had ECT.